Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubula Bells!! How Many?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2002, 04:47

Why is it,that everytime i here or read somthing that has the words "Tubulur Bells" and Mike Oldfield in it,there is always a different figure for how many copies the album has sold,i have heard every figure from 9,16million!!!!!.So what is the correct one.
The only thing i have to go on,is when was on the BBC1 show Through The Keyhole,which must have been 12-18 months ago,when presenter David Frost asked him this question,and Mike said that the figure had been exaggerated,and that he had been given a realistic figure recently of 9,000,000.
So,why do people keep making up all these different figures?
Profile PM 
rollosb Offline

Posted: April 06 2002, 09:26

As far as I know, Tubular Bells had sold about 15 million copies in 1993-94... rolleyes

As oldfield.dk says:
- This is a site about a 19 year old whose debut album has sold over 15.000.000 copies, and an album that still - today - in the 3rd millennium sells well over 1.000.000 copies a year - according to Billboard. Almost 30 years after its release, Tubular Bells is still one of the last millennium's greatest masterpieces.

--------------
Rollo - The Psychedelic Freaky Guy
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 06 2002, 15:06

If it sells 1,000,000 a year, then it should have sold almost 30 million copies by now, not 15 million (and that's not accounting for the fact that sales would have been higher at the time of its release)...

From something Tom Newman said about the royalties he gets from the album's sales, I reckoned it must be selling around 100,000 a year now, if that's any help (I think it sold most in the first few years of it being on sale).

Who knows why figures vary so much - it shouldn't be hard to count how many copies are being sold. It may be people getting confused, or wanting to make it look an even bigger success than it was...perhaps it has sold 16 million, just Virgin only want to pay Mike royalties for 9 million of them... wink
Profile PM 
rollosb Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 09:18

Hehe, you're maybe right there Korgie. I just started listening to Mike Oldfield, heard about him, when I was 4 in 1993 (I could read at that time...) and Tubular Bells was the first record, I bought by him this year. Unfortunately, my mum and dad didn't have a vinyl-player (what's it called?). Well, to the point: In 1981, it had sold about 10,000,000 copies, that's for sure. I guess, it right now has sold about 16,000,000 copies; I'm almost sure, it's more. Wow, that's a big number to think of...

--------------
Rollo - The Psychedelic Freaky Guy
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 10 2002, 23:15

And still hardly anyone I know has heard of him!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 14:53

Ah, but then you are from Australia....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 03 2014, 09:26

I wonder what the current number is for copies sold of TB?
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 26 2002, 04:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net