Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tsode project. I NEED YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mirwais57 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2002, 04:45

I am starting a new project which lists the similarities between the album and book of TSODE. Any contribution you can give me will be added and your name added as "Contributors" for the project.

I haven't got much yet, so I'm relying on contributions from here.

here's what i've got.
P.G. The page numbers refer to the Voyager Classics edition of the novel.

First, the simplest ones. Songs titles and Part/Chapter Titles that are similar or the same.\.
Song 3: Supernova - Chapter 15: Terra Nova
Song 4: Magellan - Part II: Magellan
Song 5: First Landing - Chapter 10: First Contact
Song 15: The Sunken Forest - Chapter 28: The Sunken Forest
Song 16: Ascension - Chapter 47 : Ascension
Also, Song 9: Lament for Atlantis - Page 214: ...When I wrote "Lamentation for Atlantis"

Story Line by song titles.
"A New beginning" when Earth is destroyed when the sun turns into a "Supernova". They fly out on the "Magellan" until their
"First Landing" on Thalassa. "Only time will tell" if they will be able to eventually get to Sagan II. It is "A new beginning" for
humans when they land at Sagan II.

Similarities in the music and the book:
At the end of Supernova, there is a sound of an explosion, which symbolizes the Earth being destroyed.
In The Sunken Forest song, it takes a long time for the tune to emerge. The first line of The Sunken Forest chapter is "The
scorp did not seen to be in a hurry."
In the Ascension song, the word Enter can be heard. In the Ascension chapter Kumar Leonidas is entering a new world after
his death. At the end of the song there is also the sound of an explosion, which sybolises the Ship taking off for the new
world.
In a New Beginning, there is singing that we are not used to. The crew of the Magellan was not used to the new world when
they landed on Thalassa or Sagan II for the first time.

everything will be added. email me at mirwais_fan@hotmail.com or post here for your contributions.

(Amarok mailing list members will see me posting this there as well)

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: May 07 2002, 19:13

I'm not sure about this (i haven't read the book, but i remember someone mentioning something like this before):

In Tubular World, the word "enter is heard" in the beginning and then what sounds like a roller coaster train taking off (and then the music). well, someone mentioned before that in the book there was like a spacecraft flying through the heavens (or deep space). not sure if that helps or not ! smile

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
luke 666
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 16:33

it is a right idea mirwais57.
but I have read it in Czech, so The Sunken Forest is part about exploring underwater parts of Thallasa???
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2003, 19:03

Sort of off topic. TSODE is based on 2 short stories by A.C.C. The first is a short story of the same name which is interesting on its own if you like the finished novel. The other and more interesting short story is called The Road to the Sea and is a superb piece of A.C.C short fiction. I'ts available in a compendium of his short stories called Tales From Planet Earth and is well worth tracking down if you like TSODE.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 21 2003, 18:11

TSODE is based on 2 short stories by A.C.C. The first is a short story of the same name which is interesting on its own if you like the finished novel.

i've just finished reading it in a compilation by oxford u. p. called 'the songs of distant earth and other stories', which are 'the nine billion names of god', 'the secret', 'the wall of darkness' and 'no morning after'.
in this edition, tsode tells the part of the story in which magellan reaches thalassa till the moment they come back to the space.
i've really enjoyed the descriptions  and what has thrilled me more is how a. c. clark reflects, imo, the two sides or paths the human being's got inside, that sometimes get into conflict... one, nomad and lonely, looking for challenges... magellan's passengers moving straight forward, travelling along centuries, just sheltered by tonnes of ice, almost jumping over physic laws in the search for a place to live. the other side, the carefree and steady one, thalassa, a peaceful island among the stars, where humans, having being brought from the earth, have settled down well and live happy and simply caring for their small young planet and how sometimes, unexpectedly, the two sides meet like the two main characters, leon and lora and draw a crossroad by chance. well, just an interpretation...

it's specially beautiful the moment in which the earthmen show thalassa people the songs of their ancestors, the songs of distant earth... i felt emotion just guessing how sad i'd feel if being in a distant place, someone showed me the sounds of the earth.

(still off topic but i can guess mirwais57 has already finished his project...)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since May 07 2002, 04:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net