Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TSODE is a MASTERPIECE!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheMann Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 07:07

I can't stand some of the other posts found here, and starts a new more appropriate one (in case Mike sneaks in to have a look).

I think we should focus on the best parts of TSODE.

They are severely underestimated, and belong to the History of music. The intro with Bill Anders from Apollo 8, then Let There Be Light, and the first say 2 minutes of track 3... WONDERFUL!!!

To me, an absolute magnificent contribution by Mike; such a feeling, spirit, such a balance in fine details. Billion times more interesting than 99.999% of the music produced in the 20th century.

Then, Mike adds something highly innovative in the transition between track 6 and 7. The pretty simplistic track 6 becomes in the end very telling: we hear Life in form of birds etc, overlaid with the monotone computer sound; we understand that it is in the spirit of Clarkes book, the Life is extinct on Earth and must artificially be carried for 1000s of years to other stars; this is the sound between tracks 6 and 7. Then when 7 starts, it is the attempt to 'unzip' the Life again in another part of the galaxy. And musically, I think track 7 is as rythmical, hyphnotical, as the final of Ommadawn. Although not so aggressive, of course, but of similar great quality. A true MASTERPIECE MIKE!

And the first 2.5 minutes of Track 16 is again one of the finest moments in the history of music. Mike paints a picture of these newly created civilisations attempting to communicate through the vast universe; his guitar sends messages out in the void, "WE ARE HERE! WE SURVIVED!! WE DID IT! ANYBODY OUT THERE?"

Play that part loud 1000 times !

MY GOD, how strong the best parts are. Let us focus on this and forget some less inspired parts. I LOVE MIKE for TSODE.

I remember how I actually didn't understand any of it when it came out in 94'... I hated it for some time. Typical of Mike, breaking new ground, forcing us to reconsider. By 95' I was completely lost in TSODE, played it 1000 times. I consider the parts described here as the absolute highlight of Mikes entire output, together with some other moments on e.g., MOTS (I DIE everytime Shabda is introduced. best theme I heard IN MY LIFE). Actually I like all of MOTS, to me it is the most successful work seen all-in-all. But there are incredable material on most other releases of Mike.

Some parts are never discussed at all; how about the lonely guitar the first slow minutes on Track 4 of "Light" (2005)? How great is this!
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 22:20

It's good to read something very passionate about a Mike album. I see that I am not the only one to have my imagination gone wild because of Mike's music!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 03:29

This is one of my favourites from this period.Reminds me of a very specific time when i was 19.Saw an advert on TV the night before and was in the record shop at 9 the next morning!Brilliant album and one i have on the iPod! :laugh:

What i really like is the way one peice flows straight into the next so although it's several different songs it flows like one long peice with only one break.I guess this would be approximately half way to accomodate tape/records.
 I also love the build up towards the end.Really re-enforces my point about the way nearly all of his longer peices build to a really great finale.This one is a really great example!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 04:49

Take it one step further. The music invites you to imagine what Mike is expressing emotionally on that journey. Put on the cans, close your eyes, imagine floating inside a protective balloon, seeing those stars so bright and the sense of adventure, travelling to a Distant Earth but not our Earth. Feel the excitement, fear, wanting and looking forward to a new life, totally unknown. Mike plays out these feelings on guitar. The pieces flow together. I love the album, pure escapism at its best (and you are sitting safe in your chair at the end!;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 05:49

Quote (Drealm @ Feb. 01 2010, 22:20)
I see that I am not the only one to have my imagination gone wild because of Mike's music!

Stirs my imagination too - from start to finish I'm there on Mike's Starship Enterprise.

Obama has said no more trips to the moon. Anyone needing to go will have to hitch a ride with the Russia or China. I like Obama - he talks sense.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 06:49

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 02 2010, 05:49)
Stirs my imagination too - from start to finish I'm there on Mike's Starship Enterprise.

Obama has said no more trips to the moon. Anyone needing to go will have to hitch a ride with the Russia or China. I like Obama - he talks sense.

I agree with you, Wiga - except not quite the finish. I can't listen to "A New Beginning", which I find brings me back to earth even more unpleasantly than does a similar piece by Pink Floyd - the second half of "Absolutely Curtains", on  Absolutely Curtains.

I'm not sure whether you're being ironic about Obama - for me, if that's what he stands for I wish McCain had won. Still, the Chinese have made it clear that they intend to increase their space effort, and when that becomes more evident the US will be quick to play catch up.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 06:49

I typed "Absolutely Curtains" twice - the second one should be Obscured by Clouds, of course.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:01

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 02 2010, 06:49)
I'm not sure whether you're being ironic about Obama - for me, if that's what he stands for I wish McCain had won. Still, the Chinese have made it clear that they intend to increase their space effort, and when that becomes more evident the US will be quick to play catch up.

It's part of Obama's budget project because apparently the country is $5 Trillion in debt. I'm not sure what the definition of a trillion is right now. Sounds a lot. So yes, Obama's cut backs on NASA sound sensible to me - in the circumstances.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:38

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 02 2010, 07:01)
It's part of Obama's budget project because apparently the country is $5 Trillion in debt. I'm not sure what the definition of a a trillion is right now. Sounds a lot. So yes, Obama's cut backs on NASA sound sensible to me - in the circumstances.

It would make more sense for them to cut back on defence spending - particularly on nuclear weapons, which they clearly never intend to use. Besides, working towards a self-reliant moonbase is wise, just in case something ever does wipe out good old mother earth.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 08:13

I remember Arthur Clarke pointing out somewhere too that the US spends more per capita on pet food than it does on space travel/research.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 12:31

Quote (ex member 419 @ Feb. 02 2010, 04:49)
I love the album, pure escapism at its best (and you are sitting safe in your chair at the end!;)

What you said is pure truth. With our imagination, we only need music to travel. I guess some people just need the real thing...

What a chance we have, us, imaginative people.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 12:42

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 02 2010, 06:49)
I agree with you, Wiga - except not quite the finish. I can't listen to "A New Beginning", which I find brings me back to earth even more unpleasantly than does a similar piece by Pink Floyd.

[It's Obama's pragmatic style that I find refreshing - like - sorry, no more trips to the moon because we can't afford it, and that's that - no messing.]

"A New Beginning" does have a return to reality with a bump kind of ending - but that's just how the story goes. I like to sing along to the singers, although I would like to know what they are saying; - there's a lone single voice which the tribal 'choir' seem to be responding to.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 18:57

Yes the USA has scrapped its moon missions. They are still paying for the Mars exploration over the last decade. As yet there is no planet in our solar system able to support human life so we are stuck on the third rock from the sun! Thank heavens for Sci Fi, TSODE, all things extra terrestrial, it takes us temporarily away from the mess our world is. Lets hope our world leaders are going to take the future of younger generations seriously. We need to leave them a positive legacy in a world able to sustain them. Its looking pretty bad at the moment. Ageing of the worlds population and less tax paying young adults to support baby boomers is a real problem. Young adults won't have jobs for life, their own homes, or be able to afford to have many children. We have had the benefits young adults will never have, jobs, homes, kids, a decent lifestyle. I need to go listen to TSODE, totally depressed now.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2010, 13:56

Depressing, yeah.....according to the movies we were supossed to go back to Jupiter with Roy Schieder and (the then) incredibly sexy Hellen Mirrin and repair HAL. In reality we only made Earth's space littered with junk, ready to ruin a shuttle at any moment. And now, the shuttles are retiring. Funny how sci-fi is always ahead of us. Wishing for something that will never come.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 10:23

As a child, I sort of took it for granted that humans would have an expanding presence in space. Never occurred to me that by this decade, we'd still be so....earthbound. My daughter interned last year at the Space Studies Board. They have a great website through which you can get lots of information about the USA space program, reports, plans, etc. It isn't all dire, thankfully.

Edited to add: The newsletters are especially informative and available in PDF format.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 01 2010, 10:58

This album opened up for me the vast world of electronic music.

17 years later (jesus fucking christ has it been that long) it still doesn't get old.

The way the bagpipes come in magellan > WOW

Ascension >  :O  :O  :O  :O

In the beginning > gotta admit I nicked this sample for the opening of my live set as an homage. The whole 1.27 of it is just powerful.

It's just perfect in every way an album can be. Music flow, production, melody work, all the little one-shot details, the buildups, drops and breakdowns...

Fuck yeah.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2010, 21:12

Quote (^NabLa^ @ April 01 2010, 10:58)

It is astonishing that Mr O can actually make bagpipes sound futuristic. With anyone else, they'd sound incongruous or anachronistic. I wonder how he does it??
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2010, 22:52

Regarding space exploration and all, I'm reminded of a quote from Solaris: "We don't need other worlds; we need mirrors."

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 02 2010, 07:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 01 2010, 22:52)
Regarding space exploration and all, I'm reminded of a quote from Solaris: "We don't need other worlds; we need mirrors."

Mirrors - in the form of reflective solar sails (which would be used by "Sunjammers") - would enable travel to other worlds! :D Actually, NASA is putting a lot of effort into getting solar sails to work. What is not well known is that while plans to get to Mars have been put on hold, there are serious plans to get to Phobos, which would cost far less money.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 02 2010, 14:53

Quote (nightspore @ April 01 2010, 21:12)
Quote (^NabLa^ @ April 01 2010, 10:58)

It is astonishing that Mr O can actually make bagpipes sound futuristic. With anyone else, they'd sound incongruous or anachronistic. I wonder how he does it??

I hate bagpipe, fake or not, and harmonica, I really have something against mouth instruments. If I could change one thing in TSODE, I would put organs in lieu of bagpipes.
Profile PM 
27 replies since Oct. 22 2009, 07:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net