Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: trevor horn, tub 2 production< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hal Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 20 2002, 18:03

I have read on the net that the original production for tb2 was supposed to be a far darker looser affair, closer to the original in mood than the slickness of that it eventually obtained.  I have also heard that this was blamed on trevor horn and that simon heyworth had not necissarily wanted it this way.  I have been told that their are versions available of tracks worked on before trevor horn gave them his slick lick.  Does anyone out there know of such recordings and if you do are they any good?

Secondly tres lunas compared to Amorak, chalk with cheese to compare this work with the bland nature of Tres Lunas  you would think they were different musicians.  I feel that Oldfield is turning into a very commecial artist.  I loved tb2 and sfade was original and distinctive tb3 was good but for an artist like oldfield too easy.  I cant see Oldfield producing and album of that nature again.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2002, 09:49

Re: TB2-
Some leaked studio recordings from the making of TB2 can be found on bootleg CDs and as MP3's on he web. Far the best of these IMHO is the acoustic/electric guitar piece, while the bass guitar, keyboards and glockenspiel recordings are not that interesting. A quite interesting, IMHO more agressive than the final 'horned', early version of Sentinel has been published as 'Early Stages', B-Side of the Sentinel single.
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2002, 15:45

You used to be able to get hold of the TB2 demos easily off AudioGalaxy when it was around. Try fan sites, some of the sites linked to from this one contain various mp3's.
The demo version of Clear Light is better in the second half than the album version with the lead acoustic guitar playing a different theme. There is apparantly a version of Weightless played on acoustic guitar rather than than that terrible sequenced synthy harp noise that is supposed to be very, very good though I've never tracked it down on mp3. The demo version of Weightless that I got off AG just sounds like an unmixed rough version of what was released, not very interesting. The real gem though has to be the demo of Mike composing Clear Light (which is different to the one spoken of above). Its basically Mike just improvising on both acoustic and electric guitars over the sequenced TB tune. At one point Mike makes a huge cock up and can clearly be heard saying 'Oh fucking hell can we do it again'.
It was actually Tom Newman who worked on TB2 with Trevor Horn and Mike. He has said in various interviews how hard it was working with Trevor, they disagreed a lot apparantly. In an interview with Record Collector magazine a few years ago Tom said that he thought TB2 was 'awfull' . I wonder whether it was him who leaked out the demo's.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2002, 16:27

Sorry for being a little inaccurate, but what you called 'composing of Clear Light' was exactly my favourite recoding...  I also forgot that there is also an early mix of 'Sunjammer' around. Don't pin me on the titles - I've never bothered to learn the track titles of Mike's long-play albums...
Profile PM WEB 
TJ DUNSTAN Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 08:25

:laugh:  :p  :laugh:  :O

Hal, I like your comment on the slick lick.  Trevor is currently producing an up and coming Harvey Wainwright from Forestgate.  I can understand the difference you are talking about and on some demo's of TB2 Mike tried the Space Bass, but this was never featured.

You could try Skeleton Records for the Space Bass Demo's

Cheers Man!
Profile PM 
hal Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 17:01

Well Well WEll, TJ Dunstan, Im surprised you found me out here, I thought youd been banned from all other Oldfield forums on the net.

TJ Dunstan (fellow Oldfield fans) is a Jeane Michelle Jarre fanatic and walks around with a Jarre mullit and white gloves on at all times.  I recently caught him in his garage trying to assemble his own laser harp out of an old austin allegro!

He has had four divorces and 26 illegitimate kids, his other interestst (apart from Jarre) is a fondness for any 1980s synth pop bands and strong support for the womens liberation movement.  He is often seen at badger bating and dog fight meetings, he has been none to dj at some of these events, as well as being a regular at local bare knuckle boxing tournaments.

Well TJ Dunstan I hope you and your extended family are well and the laser harp is coming on strong.  I agree with your point about the space base it is truly an under used instrument, oh! before I forget, this weekend put me down for £20 on the labradore.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 01 2002, 06:50

Some of those 'making of' recordings are from a video. I get the feeling that they were specially staged for the camera, rather than that they were actually demos for the album, but I don't know - I have almost no information on them.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 20 2002, 18:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net