Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tres lunas/ maestro melodies, what songs???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 20:31

i wonder what songs mike means talking about the upcomming Light + shade...

abiout the first song:  First Steps
mike says "This is compiled of pieces from my Virtual Reality game Tres Lunas. When you begin the game, you're alone in a desert in front of a cactus, and when you move off, this piece of music plays.
(i know that this song is on the mix tres lunas II, title; the Orgin.) I wonder how he will do this track. As we allready know this song quite good now (ithink) Will he do something more... ect..)  he only told us that: "Robyn Smith, a musical direstor and keyboard player I know, helped me arrange this."

We allready know the maestro song; Our Father..

Sunset: must be a mysterium for me. I dont understand what melody he mean here...
"In Maestro, my second Virtual Reality game, there's a specific tune you can only listen to when you reach the winning level. Here, I made a variation on it, but this time around, I was thinking about a chill out album, so I thought it would be nice to call it Sunset."
Is this melody on tres lunas II?? the mix cd?

Ringscape
This is for me also unknown.. I only have the demo version of tre s lunas and im not sure here either..
"Another track from Tres Lunas. It comes from a scene when an owl takes you on this journey, across a desert, down a tunnel and into an icicle world. Robyn  Smith helped me arrange this one as well." What song ???

So we stand with 4 tres lunas/maestro songs..
what song do mike means??
i hope someone can help me to figure out that.. I only know Our father and the rest of it i dont...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 21:07

Ohhh..the owl track (ringscape) is also on tres lunas 2 (snow cavern flight), and a great bit of guitar over chill..much loved by the game players.

Maestro ending..on OMA's mix. But i seem to recall some discussion around it's source. Sibelius anyone?

Other new bits of the game that might find on the new album are a very chillin' bit from the bells tunnel. Plus the "dance/techno" bits from ants and bats.

Funny how people were upset that not all the game music was on cd a few years ago, and now it is saying how sad/unoriginal it is to put it out now. Myself included

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 22:18

oh.. snow cavern flight??? YES!! that one of my favorite songs from tres lunas II  :)  I thought it maybe would be that great chill guitar song. Good!!

About that OMA mix end at the song. Is that the part that sounds like I'll fly with you (gigi d'agostino)??
I think it sounds like the refr. from that dance song..
Anyway i like I'll fly with you, but then i hope he have done something more about it. Its sounds thin and simple...  :(  Something is missing...... Maybe its too techno computer song..

I think he can do something good and better with ants and bats.. If he make it more dark and hard i think it would work.. I cant really imagine how he can change it all...

Then as you says.. that people is upset.. well im not..
Actually, i think i can answer that after the album have come. I hope he have some suprises!!
Im not upset when he deside to make a good version of snow cavern flight.. Thats really good and chill!!

:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 22:20

and also.................

I would really hope that he did a new better and longer version of daliphant.. Its my 1. best song from Tres lunas game..
But thats just a dream  :/

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 04:00

Is snow cavern flight the one with the repetetive synth note, which in my opinion is very beautiful and mysterious and is also repeated on a 2nd track on Tres Lunas 2 with the Alpine Guitar riff??
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 04:58

Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 18 2005, 03:20)
I would really hope that he did a new better and longer version of daliphant.. Its my 1. best song from Tres lunas game..

Which one do you mean by 'daliphant'? I'm puzzled. When is it heard in the game?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 05:20

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 18 2005, 04:58)
Which one do you mean by 'daliphant'? I'm puzzled. When is it heard in the game?

'Daliphant' was one of the demos that Mike included in his web while working on the first MusicVR (then SonicVR). Finally this song wasn't included as it in the game but yes as a guitar version of the same tune (the original demo was played with synth). The guitar version on the final Tr3s Lunas game can be heard on the sword game. Both versions are usually mixed together on the fan's MusicVR mixes such as Tr3s Lunas II and Return To The Origin.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 07:29

Isnt Daliphant "the journey" in tres lunas II??
at the end of that song??
very good ending guitar!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 08:29

Yes, but the guitar part is from the sword game. The Daliphant demo only included the non-guitar part at the end.

I have uploaded the original demo here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/4107525/Daliphant.mp3.html
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 08:44

Quote (Spinne @ Aug. 18 2005, 08:29)
Yes, but the guitar part is from the sword game. The Daliphant demo only included the non-guitar part at the end.

hm.. the links dosent work..
Anyway, thats a very beautiful song, its full with good feelings. But will this part be on L + S ??

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 09:24

Quote (Spinne @ Aug. 18 2005, 13:29)

Oh that's great - many thanks! I had no idea this tune was associated with the daliphant.

Now that (in the game) we can get to the daliphant at will, wouldn't it be marvellous if as we approached we started to hear this music, getting louder as we get nearer.....?
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 15:54

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 17 2005, 21:07)
Funny how people were upset that not all the game music was on cd a few years ago, and now it is saying how sad/unoriginal it is to put it out now. Myself included

it's not a problem for me that he revisits the games to carry on working on its music. i don't find it sad. the format in which that music's presented is different to the conventional albums. i see it a bit like sort of "box" containing alive bits which can form beautiful shapes, both music and visuals, and the proof is that there have been some great mixes from it (i'd still love to listen to mike's own mix in a long long track btw)
well, maybe it's just me, but after three years i've checked i need to go back to tr3s lunas (the whole) just like i need to go back to some other albums. so far i can't get tired of it.

that's why i'm very glad the owl's flight music is in 'light and shade', as i would have been if we found 'redwings' or 'sprites'.
i also wonder whether 'quicksilver' could be related to the dolphins section, afaik he didn't say anything about this though, but since there are dolphins and bubbles in both..

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 18 2005, 09:24 )
Now that (in the game) we can get to the daliphant at will, wouldn't it be marvellous if as we approached we started to hear this music, getting louder as we get nearer.....?

i couldn't agree more with u alan, silence is thick while on the excursions beyond the barriers. actually, the daliphants can be seen under such different lights, that i'd dare to ask for a whole album for the space out there :D

what i've done in many excursions is to listen to other people's music, the one i tried and found that fits perfectly with tr3s lunas is by darkenedo. imho he got to "understand" the concept. such a shame he seems to have given up in making music.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 16:32

Quote (maria @ Aug. 18 2005, 20:54)
Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 17 2005, 21:07)

it's not a problem for me that he revisits the games to carry on working on its music. i don't find it sad.

I agree entirely with María - I don't find it even slightly sad. The revisiting of themes and ideas is something that most artists do as they progress. Bob Dylan is still - magnificently - exploring and finding new things in songs he wrote forty years ago. Turner accumulated something like 20,000 sketches over his lifetime that were a constant source of inspiration to him. In my view, Mike has hardly scratched the surface of some of the wonderful musical sketches that became mere throwaway snatches in Tr3s Lunas. Why should he not develop those further?

If Mike Oldfield were a purveyor of pop music, then I can see that what he's doing might be unacceptable in a culture that demands continual novelty. But he's a serious musician, doing what any serious artist does. Nothing wrong with it at all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 18:15

I think I may have mis-represented myself. My comments about the comments (?!;), were an ironic overview of what has been said around the web. My observation of the contradictions made by others, and myself.

Any new music from our Hero is good, and more themes from a game i love playing is great. But every one of us has different preferences about what would have been earth-shattering.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 19:17

Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 18 2005, 08:44)

You must click on the Free button at the end of the page to start the download. This will send you to a new (but similar) page with the link at the end (you must wait about 30 seconds in order to see the link).
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 06:54

Quote (Spinne @ Aug. 18 2005, 19:17)
Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 18 2005, 08:44)

You must click on the Free button at the end of the page to start the download. This will send you to a new (but similar) page with the link at the end (you must wait about 30 seconds in order to see the link).

good! I have this song from somewhere. I think this part goes on first and then the guitar part is running.. This part its name is also Daliphant. Its from Music VR the album. This album is also very good i think. This album have more longtracks then Tres Lunas II. Tres Lunas have this daliphant piece to. But its name is "the journey". I like this part to, like the part that goes before daliphnat guitar goes on also. That chill dark guitar... (you lamost feel that you fly around (just like on the game) and then the guitar daliphant goes on right away without the synth version.

But this piece of daliphant.. WILL IT BE ON L + S????

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 13:24

I'm more interested to know what he's done with the music from the game, whether he's re-played it, re-arranged it etc. I mean he must have done something more with that owl flight piece because in the game that wonderful guitar solo is actually quite short if you pay attention to it, it comes to end and then just loops round itself until you come to the end of the tunnel. I'm guessing he must have extended it for Light and Shade otherwise it'll be quite a short track. Looking forward to hearing that.

It has to be said there isn't anything new in Mike re-using and re-working bits a pieces from years before. Bits of Amarok were writen in the early 70's (or earlier). The Taurus tunes are obviously built upon a similar musical theme. We've no idea, for example, whether the main theme from TSODE is actually a not used section of The Wind Chimes, if you understand what I'm getting at. I suppose those of us who have been critical (like me) of this albums re-use of already heard music, not to mention the same old heavy synth/beat style (judging from those two samples of course), is that Mike did say about 18 months ago on the old forums at MO.com that he was busy on the new album and that he hoped we'd like 'the new style'. From those two new tracks it seems like his 'new style' is just his tried and trusted 90's style. But I guess we'll have to hear the rest of the album, maybe it'll be different, I hope so.

ps Did he not also mention something about not having worked this way since recording Five Miles Out? Or am I deluding myself again? I can't imagine what he meant.
Profile PM 
16 replies since Aug. 17 2005, 20:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net