Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TRES LUNAS IS BAD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
sergenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2002, 07:57

I dislike Shill out's music. THERE ONLY GUITAR AND DRUMS EFFEC.i so disappointed.
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 13:07

Well, this is the first time I have heard someone say Tr3s Lunas is BAD! I have not got it yet but I love the extracts and the music on the MVR game which I have.

As long as there's Mike's guitar that's enough for me.

I absolutely LUV the music when you're taken to the Turtle Island on a seagull, it sounds very early Mike. Is this on the album?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2002, 13:32

I have the album since 3 days and have listened to it for 20 times. It´s far better than the excerpts because most of the pieces turn in other directions and become much complexer than the tracks on the last albums... (many tracks on TMB and Guitars have just ONE idea, just one melody!)
Excuse my english.
Great album.
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 14:59

veryvery good...like it very much...that sax-guitar (or whatever it is) sounds weird, funny...but not bad. if you want bad: listen to any eurovision songs by finland biggrin biggrin biggrin

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 04:08

I agree about the eurovision songs, they're all bad!

From what I here from the samples, and from most of the reviews, I'm excited about Tr3s Lunas. I'm really annoyed it won't be released in Australia!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 06 2002, 07:44

For me Tr3s Lunas is an album without ideas. It is only a game soundtrack but there's game soundtracks wich are far better (Outcast, No one lives forever...). The track are not correlated, they seems a compilation of little demos. This doesn't seem to be the Mike that created Tubular Bells, Ommadawn or Amarok. Mike if you don't have ideas please don't make albums!!! 20 eur for poor music and a demo is too much.
I'm a fan and I feel betrayed.

Andrea from Italy
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 06 2002, 16:39

i look at it as relaxation music and not meant to be listened to closely but rather just to listen to and get lost in while lying down and closing your eyes.....but weirdo that i am, i like listening closely to music like that and i get into it......i heard sirius the full song somewhere and even tho its pretty much the same melody over and over i just wanted to keep listening. when i heard the extract i thought i wouldnt like that song....but it has this feeling like a 'calm-yet-intense' feeling....and it builds up and builds up but stays calm at the same time...and i love the sax guitar......the way he plays it adds so much more emotion to it...

i love this album in everyway...you hvae to be in the right mood to listen to this album.....its not easy to make an album with this much feeling.....u just have to listen properly to see it and enjoy it

rock on

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2002, 19:48

To latch onto a few points...

I think to look at it as a game soundtrack is rather like looking at The Wind Chimes as a video soundtrack...they both had similar origins, with visuals and music being developed together (in fact, whereas The Wind Chimes on the album was just the same as on the video, only without pictures, Mike has reworked the music from Music VR slightly to make it work better as an album). Think of that what you will...

It doesn't bother me if Mike wants to make albums without ideas. In fact, he can make a one hour album with a single held down synth chord and nothing more, for all I care. Whether I'd want to buy it is a different matter...

There's definitely more to Tres Lunas than guitars and drum patterns. There are lots of parts in there, bits of vocals, keyboards, the obvious guitars and more subtle ones...even a bit of what sounds like a mandolin (but might actually be a sample...still, it's the thought that counts...). There's also a bit of imagination present in those percussion parts, which helps things along...

I think it's something to listen to in a relaxed state (I guess the 'chill out' tag makes that a bit obvious wink), but not to be ignored entirely...allow it to slip into the background too much and you miss the more clever touches.
Profile PM 
Timorage Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 04:20

I've heard it several times in a french store (Fnac), and I think I won't buy it. Some tracks are nice to hear, like Misty, Daydream, Tr3s Lunas or No Mans Land Reprise (far better than the original version), but the other ones... bof bof! (like we say in french) The sound is well worked, but the melodies are too basic, I think.

Last month I heard to the last album of Tangerine Dream (which is a 'chill out' album too): The Past Hundred Moons, and it was FAR better. I'm very disappointed, since TB3, Mike hasn't been inspired any more... frown
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2002, 10:08

what??? u didnt think Return to the Origin was one of the good tracks!!?!?!?!? what is this world coming too?!?!!?

smile jk

i think this album is very beautiful...basic or not

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 18:36

well, Mike is a diverse and constantly-changing musician - each new step isn't going to meet with everyone's satisfaction...but when judging an artists work you must balance your opinion of the outcome against the intentions of the artist. remember, Tr3s Lunas was recorded to meet Mike's expectations and wishes - not ours. Taken as a work to help relax and stimulate the mind in a non-aggressive manner, from the limited content of the record that I have heard, I feel that Mike has been, once again, stunningly successful smile

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: June 09 2002, 01:46

Tres Lunas is BAD - my ass. You are crazy man. Listen to it more often and you will like it like all the albums usually from him. I did not liked all the songs in the begining but now i love them. Masterpieces!
The best album since TSODE

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 12 2002, 16:27

Just got my copy of Tres Lunas and yeah I would agree a return to form of sorts. Definately his best since SODE {not that its up against much stiff competition} and a good companion to that album. I would agree with those who hate the sax it ruins Misty and I would agree with Korgscrew's thought that it sounds better somewhere between his guitar sound and sax sound. Still don't like the amount of sequencing being used though, some tracks would benefit from being more hand played. My last complaint is that there is actually some far better music in the game than on the album, some tracks I reckon could have been rewoked from the game to greater effect than some of the one's used. Oh and I forgott to say that I think the live version of Thou art in heaven is way, way better than the version we have here.

But apart from all that I do like this album. Return to the origin is superb and Viper is true Oldfield genius a simple but devistatingly good collection of melodies under a great beat, his best track is bloody ages.
Profile PM 
Zywy
Unregistered

Posted: July 04 2002, 03:00

In my opinion Mike lost his personal unique style, which he had about 10-15 years ago. Where are the pieces of music like Amarok? It isn't good old Oldfield at all in Tr3s Lunas.
timshen Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 11:43

Just got my copy of Tr3s Lunas through Amazon.co.uk and have played it a couple of times. I still can hear the destinctive Oldfield style but in a much more polished form - as a relaxing album it works very well and i'll need to listen more and more to hear the depth there is in it.

I do hope a second album comes out with the Owl Cavern music on it - that's my fave.

Overall, i'm very pleased with Tr3s Lunas and lookforward to many times of taking it all in and just chilling out! :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
14 replies since June 05 2002, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net