[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Transvaal, Half a track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 15:27

Your track is really really really really great, Satyagraha

Thank you very, very, very, very much, Ugo. It'll be a pleasure making you an mp3. However, I'm on holiday this week with only a dial-up connection available, so it can't be done till tuesday. Still, your comment made me a happy man.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 15:41

Quote (Satyagraha @ Sep. 22 2004, 19:33)
Thanks again, Yuval. Unfortunately, I don't have access to online storage for my other tracks. My free account has a 15 Mb limit. If anybody reading this can give me a tip, I'd be glad.

Just open an account in http://www.acidplanet.com/

It's free, though you must use Windows Media (WMA) format... :(

Btw, that's where we have some pieces also: http://www.acidplanet.com/amadian

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2004, 16:38

OK, I listened for the third time now, and this time around I took some notes so I can finally say something!

First of all, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the track. It sounds very well thought-out, the performance is fine, the production sounds warm. I suppose you spent quite a bit of time on this one - and it was time well-spent!

I'm sure you're aware of the section from about 1:00 onwards sounding very oldfieldian, but it leads over nicely into something entirely different.
The part at about 2:11, again, sounds very "Mike". However, it's obvious you're imaginative enough not to simply carbon copy his style. Great use of that bowed instrument - what exactly is it? Sounds almost like a hurdy-gurdy or whatever that thing is called? (Edit: I saw you said it's a bowed bouzouki? wow!) I also like how the bass "sweeps" over from right to left in mid-section.  Those are the small details that make a good piece a really interesting piece!
The section at 3:50 strongly reminds me of your previous track Nightfall, or is it even identical? Interesting sound effects going on there as well - for some reason, this reminds me of the band Tortoise; wonder if you've heard of them?
5:20 has a very great tune and a really scary string crescendo!
The "African" section at about 5:38 is the only one I'm afraid I can't really get into. Even though it's obviously tongue-in-cheek, and I can sort of see where you're coming from with it, I just never liked this style of "happy, African" music. Maybe it's just been used in would-be funny TV commercials too much. But I'm pretty sure you were fully aware of what you were doing here, and don't want to imply you should change anything there. It's just my personal taste. That clanging sound heard at about 6:40 (and three more times after that), whatever it may be, sounds somewhat out of place, somewhat "unrelated" to me. Too metallic somehow. Maybe it's just a production issue.
6:55 is another very "Incantations" section, though again with some original sound ideas. And the ending section, "stolen" or not, is really great. I very much like your use of the bodhrán, both in this track and in Nightfall.

These are just some random thoughts that occured to me while listening to your track. So, congratulations Satyagraha - I think you are a really talented composer and I'm sure you'll make your way with it (whatever it is you have in mind).
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2004, 08:28

Gee, it's really worth the effort when someone writes a long, personal, well-thought out essay (no less) on your work. It makes one want to keep working. And it makes one feel a tiny fraction like a real artist receiving good critique out there in the real world. The major difference, size aside, being generally much friendlier people inside this microcosmos that is tubular.net.
I can only say thank you, Holger. Thank you.
And I hope I'm forgiven for commenting on some of your comments.
About the "Mikeness" of Transvaal: Yes, there are two very Incantations-like parts here. Would anybody believe me if I said I stumbled upon them by accident? I did. But that's no excuse, really. Incantations made a huge impact on me, and I'm too influenced by it not to hint at it when I make music like this.
But the twin guitar-part, yes, that is perhaps too derivative of that similar bit in Tubular Bells. I just couldn't think of anything else after having recorded those bowed bouzouki chords, and that thing just appeared.
The bell parts are made using the same technique as the one in Nightfall, but they are not identical. I just liked the effect of that time-displaced tapestry of bells and guitars so much that I re-used the idea. I've never heard of Tortoise, but I sure will check them out.
Er, I think I agree on your views on the "Surfin' Africa" section, it was originally something I just made for fun, unrelated to Transvaal. I just pasted it in there, and thought it sounded good. I guess it doesn't fit that good in after all. The "metallic" sound, could that be the harpsichord? I don't have the track where I am now, so I'm just guessing. But the harpsichord never blends with anything. (The famous conductor Sir Thomas Beecham once said the harpsichord sounds like two skeletons having sex on top of a tin roof.)
Again, i agree. I should have used the bouzouki (plucked) instead.
The ending is a 13th century tune known as "La quinta estampie real".

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2004, 17:26

I have to thank you for making the track available.

I, too, am too influenced by Mike not to make hints at him when composing. People tend to hear him even where I thought I was doing something completely different. :)

I think you might like Tortoise. Not that they're that similar to what you're doing, but they're well worth checking out. I recommend the album "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". You'll hear some Incantations there also. :)

I was wondering if that sound was a harpsichord, though actually, I suspected it might be some kind of sample. Is it a real one? Very funny quote BTW. Bouzouki might work great.

Will check out the "original" estampie when I get around to it. A really great tune.
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2004, 06:00

I suspected it might be some kind of sample. Is it a real one?

Er, no. It's a soundfont. And that is really a bit embarrasing, because I actually do own a harpsichord, built by my father in the mid seventies, modelled after a Flemish original. It's sadly out of use, after years in a warehouse (because of lack of room) it just doesn't work anymore. Very humidity-sensitive instruments, those old keyboards. It still makes a great piece of furniture, though. I'll get it fixed someday, I swear I will.

One would believe that it is an easy thing, sampling a harpsichord and making it sound realistic, due to the total lack of dynamics. However, the natural reverberation that occurs in the all the non-damped strings vibrating is a very important part of the harpsichord sound, and one impossible to mimic by a digital reverb.

I will check out Tortoise.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2004, 07:45

I've had some requests for an mp3 encoded version of Transvaal. Here it is.
transvaal.mp3
I'm unable to test it, please report if it's faulty in any way.
Edit: It works just fine. But I'll remove it from the server soon, need space for a new project. Download it now, if you haven't already.  
The original ogg is still there, though.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since July 06 2004, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net