[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Transvaal, Half a track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 06 2004, 08:45

transvaal.ogg

File format supported by Winamp and Foobar2000 (direct download).

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 06 2004, 09:30

Listened to it! :)

Ok, there are several quotes to Incantations here. I suppose they're intentional, but maybe they sound a bit too obvious. At least to me, mind. But aside from that, it sounds nice. I like the little mathematical tricks you play at parts. The themes are good and are worked nicely. I like the sounds you used in the upbeat section, and the way they interact. The quieter portions work nicely as a "fabric" of sounds and themes and lines, but in my opinion, they kinda meander too much. I think you can have them sound more compact and more elaborate, to make it truly gripping and nice to "watch", not only listen to. Overall, this "half track" is worthy, and if you work on it a bit more, you can have a gem. Mind you, it sounds nice as it is already. I don't know what style exactly you're trying to achieve, so maybe I missed the point and the track needs no work at all. ;) But I give it the thumbs up, and I'd like to hear the other half.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 14 2004, 06:23

cant download it :(
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: July 14 2004, 14:13

Ah a fellow OGG user! Don't worry I got to them first. Anyone who's listened to my songs has an OGG player ;). I seem to be having trouble with the link as well...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 12 2004, 15:30

Thanks for your nice criticism, Sir Mustapha. I guess the piece won't be finished, due to lack of time. I've however made a much improved, mix of it, with some major changes, including a new ending and a new beginning, and more guitars. Maybe I'll even get around to mix it down and master it. Seems like there's no interest in this composition here, though.
Yuval Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2004, 03:25

Ok I downloaded it
First of all, sounds great and original.
Productionwise- I also prefered bass in the middle, but thats the only thing that really disturbed. The original high frequencies work great for me.
First Incan part is nice as a gesture, seems to me your playing with rythem options arent u? 7/8 and stuff? i'd say 5/8 in this case I suspect. anyways, maybe i'll understand it the 3rd time i'll listen to it. The harmony is interesting and quite flowing.

The second Idea - great performance (except the panned bass as I mentioned) it has its own atmosphere.
If your purpose was to make no connection between the parts I'd say you succeeded.

part 2 + 3(bells) sound quite related (dont ask me why)
there are rythem games I ditect again which I will probably understand in later hearings.

I think im going to really enjoy the upbit part with the incan quotes. Not as Sir M, I dont recognize any themes yet but it will come.

questions :)
what is "transvaal" and why that name?
did u play bass here, or is it sampled all the way?

Great work, keep on with that excellent stuff.
UV
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2004, 14:35

Thank you very much indeed for your encouraging words, Yuval.

The first part is the only odd meter one, 5/4 + 5/4 + 4/4 + 10/8. Strangely, I didn't purposely make it odd, it just happened that way. However, the two bell parts are extremely polyrythmic, with three, four or even five layers of different meter simultaneously. I really like metric ambiguity, you see.

The bass guitar is played all right, I'd never use a sampled bass. There's hardly any sequencing going on here, except for some of the bells, it's all played by hand. Lots of synth, though – out of necessity.

Yes, the second part, with the bowed bouzouki, is the odd one out. Otherwise, everything is very much interwoven, though perhaps subtly so. But I wanted it fragmented, like an interrail trip or something.

Transvaal ... er, just the name of a South African country. I've loved that mysterious name for a long time. Never been there, will never go there. My Transvaal is a state of mind.

As said, I'm almost finished with a new and much improved version of the track. I've lost that stupid beginning, layered some more sounds, and composed a new ending to it (actually, I've nicked a mediæval tune). And the mix will really kick the old one hard in the arse.  I'll post it in a week, I promise.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2004, 06:23

good luck with the new one
Make sure we know when its done.
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 12:22

OK. New version uploaded here. (Link in thread-starting post updated, too.) Some changes, and a new ending. Much improved sound all over.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 02:43

hey !!!
it does sound great, unfortunately i cant compare between the two becuase i overlapped the old one by mistake. But I really enjoy the sounding, and the rythem does make more sense to me, (except from the first part)
Lovely, original, interesting -
Keep on the good work!

Is there a place I can download other of your tracks?
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 13:33

Thanks again, Yuval. Unfortunately, I don't have access to online storage for my other tracks. My free account has a 15 Mb limit. If anybody reading this can give me a tip, I'd be glad.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 15:35

Quote (Guest @ Sep. 12 2004, 15:30)
Seems like there's no interest in this composition here, though.

Hey Satyagraha, please don't feel there's no interest in your stuff! In fact I was really impressed with your Nightfall track and am looking forward to hearing this one; but right now, I've got my head so full of music that I don't think I could really say anything relevant. I'll need a moment of relaxation to really listen to the track.
I love that sentence, "My Transvaal is a state of mind". I can relate to that.  :)
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 06:55

Hey Satyagraha, please don't feel there's no interest in your stuff!

I made that remark after one comment in two months. :)

Hey, I used a smiley! A first for me. Anyway. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on Transvaal. And I'm glad you liked Nightfall. Thank you.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 08:23

I gave hope on comments.
All i can do is enjoy the fact somone in the czech republic is actually enjoying my work.

I keep listening to your piece, I love it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 16:23

Your track is really really really really great, Satyagraha, but please make an mp3 out of it. OGGs sound wonderful when listened to on Winamp, but unfortunately I can't burn them on CDs, and when I convert them into mp3s or WAVs they sound sh*t. So you would do me a great favour if you uploaded an mp3 version as well.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 20:02

Hey, UGO, if you'd like you can download oggdropxpd from the vorbis site and it does as far as I know lossless conversion back to wav with drag and drop simplicity.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 08:27

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 28 2004, 16:23)
OGGs sound wonderful when listened to on Winamp, but unfortunately I can't burn them on CDs, and when I convert them into mp3s or WAVs they sound sh*t.

Converting an Ogg Vorbis file to MP3 is not a good idea, because some would say MP3 itself sounds sh*t, but more seriously, both are lossy formats, so you'll end up with MP3 trying to reproduce Ogg Vorbis's artifacts and throwing in a couple more artifacts of its own. Reencoding from one lossy format to another lossy format is rarely a good idea.

However, decoding Ogg Vorbis to WAV should produce a WAV that sounds exactly like playing the Ogg file in Winamp or Foobar2000 or any Ogg Vorbis capable player. If it doesn't, you're doing something wrong. You're not giving us much to go by, no description of your conversion method, and no description of what's wrong with the WAV file, so there is no way of telling what exactly you did wrong.

As MusicallyInspired points out, OggDropXPd is one possible alternative to whatever it is you tried. Another is the Nero burning software for which you can download an Ogg Vorbis decoding plugin so it can burn Ogg Vorbis straight to CD.

Hope this helps.

Carsten Haese (Ogg Zealot)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 08:43

When I convert an OGG to WAV, using dBpowerAmp Music Converter, it sounds all very metallic, as if it's being played through a speaker equipped with a wire-frame, and the wire-frame vibrates :). If there's another (better) converting program out there, I'd like to know about it - or, more simply, I'd like to know where to find the Vorbis plugin for Nero. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 09:26

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 29 2004, 08:43)
I'd like to know where to find the Vorbis plugin for Nero. ;)

http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 10:27

If I'm not mistaken, Winamp has an Output plugin that generates a WAV file from the tracks it plays - instead of outputting to the soundcard, it outputs to a file on the disk. As far as I'm aware, it produces an exact copy of the OGG file on WAV format, just like it should. You'll have to look for it on Winamp's preferences.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since July 06 2004, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net