Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tracklist + Artwork + Our Father questions, Three topics in one...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 07:56

I saw that there are already many pages of topics in the Light + Shade forum, so I thought I'd rather cluster up three new topics into one. :)

Tracklist: Before I actually got the album, I saw at least three different tracklists for Light on the WWW. Does a version of Light with a different tracklist from the one I got (Angelique, Blackbird, The Gate, First Steps, Closer, Our Father, Rocky, Sunset; U-MYX: Quicksilver, Our Father, Slipstream, Angelique) actually exist?

Artwork:
1) Does anyone think that the distorted pictures of Mike on the CDs (not on the covers, on the CD labels) are supposed to represent anything? The Shade label looks to me a little bit like the wings of an angel... maybe the one shedding tears? :D

2) Do the two covers use two different pictures of Mike? To me it looks like they do.

By the way, congratulations to Hans Claesson for being credited twice in a row on an official Oldfield booklet. Will he become one day the official M.O. cover designer? ;)

Our Father: Is it my impression, or does this tune have no bass (meant as bass guitar) ? To me it's a great piece, but the bass part is soooooooo elementary... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 08:01

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 15 2005, 07:56)

Tracklist: Before I actually got the album, I saw at least three different tracklists for Light on the WWW. Does a version of Light with a different tracklist from the one I got (Angelique, Blackbird, The Gate, First Steps, Closer, Our Father, Rocky, Sunset; U-MYX: Quicksilver, Our Father, Slipstream, Angelique) actually exist?

Yes, a version with Pres de toi as a bonus track.

1) Does anyone think that the distorted pictures of Mike on the CDs (not on the covers, on the CD labels) are supposed to represent anything? The Shade label looks to me a little bit like the wings of an angel... maybe the one shedding tears? :D

Um, I think it basically represents lack of ideas from the designers :]

2) Do the two covers use two different pictures of Mike? To me it looks like they do.

Yup, same here.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 08:27

I wasn't referring to bonus tracks... ;) Just as an example, the tracklist on the Discography page on this very website lists Light as Angelique, Blackbird, Closer, First Steps, Our Father, Rocky, Sunset and The Gate. I was just wondering whether a version with such a tracklist does actually exist...

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 09:51

I thought the designs on both CDs were supposed to convey the idea of angelic wings - and it's only now you point it out, Ugo, that I've seen the faces.

Certainly it fits nicely with the Tears of an Angel track, and I like to tinker with the idea of the sky/water pictures in the booklet having something to do with 'faces in my skies' from Surfing also. But I wouldn't be confident that any of it is what Mike intended.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 10:28

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 15 2005, 13:56)

To me they look like body parts.  :p

Definitely, and I think they're the same two photos that appear in the booklet.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 11:08

Some-one else in one of these many L+S threads mentioned that the cd labels were distorted pictures, and that a tube or cone of reflective material would show the original image. I've seen soemthing similar as a jigsaw.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 11:34

Quote (olracUK @ Oct. 15 2005, 17:08)
Some-one else in one of these many L+S threads mentioned that the cd labels were distorted pictures, and that a tube or cone of reflective material would show the original image. I've seen soemthing similar as a jigsaw.

Ah, right... there's an old Rick Wakeman album with the same trick, though I'll be damned if I can remember the title.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 13:38

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 15 2005, 12:34)
Quote (olracUK @ Oct. 15 2005, 17:08)

Ah, right... there's an old Rick Wakeman album with the same trick, though I'll be damned if I can remember the title.

No Earthly Connection.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 18:15

That 'trick' is an old pictorial device known as anamorphosis (check out http://www.anamorphosis.com). However, I don't think that the anamorphically-distorted pics on the L&S labels need a great un-distorting job to be viewed as what they really are... they're just reflected versions of Mike's pics in the booklet... again! :)

Apart from this: Is there anyone who noticed the elementary bassness :) of Our Father, even more evident in U-Myx?

--------------
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 23:45

Actually, anamorphoses work if you insert a mirror of a shape of a cylinder or a pyramid in the centre of the distorted  image ( in this case in the middle of the cd).  that would be really fun, if they would put a flexible mirror in the cd case!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 05:19

Quote (tamas @ Oct. 16 2005, 05:45)
Actually, anamorphoses work if you insert a mirror of a shape of a cylinder or a pyramid in the centre of the distorted image

Yes, but as I said above, I think that the L&S pictures are very easy to decipher. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 15 2005, 07:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net