Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tr3s lunas on audio galaxy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
morten Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2002, 08:30

Can someone tell me when Tr3s Lunas will be available on Audio galaxy? Maybe some would be kind enough to upload the songs so it will be possible to hear it before it's possible to buy the album. Thanks

(Ps Of course I'll buy it. Must have original cover and as good sound as possible)
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 12:17

Please ! It's not fair. If you want to get this CD, wait and buy it. You are able to wait if you have wait since Millenium Bell. Maybe you'll buy the CD, but other will not necessarely buy it. They will just download mp3 and don't buy the CD.

This kind of behaviour will kill music industry. I think that if you love the music, the money should go to the artist and not to an internet site or CD-R company.

It's deceiving to see that, from a Mike Oldfield fan. frown
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 13:20

if you told us which country you come from, someone could probably tell you when the release date is there - Tres Lunas has already been released in some countries. i appreciate that you're eager to hear it as soon as possible, as we all are, but you can already hear the 1 minute excerpts on mikeoldfield-treslunas.com, and download To be free from www.tr3slunas.com (I think) - that's more than enough till the release!

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 14:58

You can allready get the whole of Sirius on AudioGalaxy.{Don't like the sax, sounds like a bad case of Kenny G}. I don't think people should get to uptight about taking music from it, In the long run AudioGalaxy and things like it will be the future of the music industry whether people like it or not. I don't know about you guy's but I use my computer increasingly for playing music hardly ever turning on my cd player. Also I bet there are massive amounts of fans out there who like myself have found a veritible feast of rare or more interestingly unreleased Oldfield gems on AudioGalaxy. Just try downloading the TubularBellsII demos to know what I mean. I will of course buy the album when it comes out in the UK but if someone sticks the rest of it on AudioGalaxy I will like most other people download it. Anyway untill we get cd quality sound comming over the net people are only going to be robbing themselves of the finer points of Mike's production skills.
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 15:19

I'm not against Audio Galaxy or site like that. This is not what I want to tell. For rarities, it's a good place, because artist no more make production of these rarities like "Don Alfonso" by example.

But the problem is when somebody get a whole album by these site and doesn't buy the CD. It's easy but not fair for the artist. Do you want that Mike Oldfield make music, without been paid ? Where will he find money to make other music ? frown

I use myself site like that, but only for rarities. We cannot stop site like that, but we all have a conscience.( excuse my bad english).
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2002, 20:35

Actually, I don't think that the future of the music industry necessarily does lie in the likes of AudioGalaxy, at least in its current form, for the simple reason that as soon as people stop paying for music, it stops becoming an industry.

If there is no money in making recordings, musicians trying to make a living from music will be likely to turn to other areas, like live performance, with recordings becoming a secondary thing (something supported by live performance, perhaps - at the moment, artists tend to tour to promote an album...perhaps things will swing round in the other direction). Unlike recordings, live performances can't be pirated. Sure, they can be recorded, but the experience of being there can't be captured.

Just a thought...
Profile PM 
morten Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 02:43

I think that the music industry will change but not necessarily be ruined by the downloading of music. Maybe the big record companies will disappear in the form we know them today , but we don't need them do we? If the artist managed to distribute the music himself on the net, many people would pay a pound or two to get the music without having to search for it on the net. The artist gets nothing more than that anyway from the record company.

It's a bit naiive to think that people wouldn't be using the downloading opportunities. It's the industry that has to change. You can't trust peoples moral about this thing. That's just like saying why can't all the people in the world be friends and respect each other. That wouldn't happen either, and never has.

I think that you can't restrict these things. The only way to deal with it is to present better ways of getting the music on the net and I'm sure people will pay a little money for it.

Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 15:44

I pretty much agree. However there is one point that I would like to make that somewhat contradicts my argument above, though I still see the death of music on cd, and that is you have not lived untill you have experienced that extra warmth that Mike's stuff gets when comming off vinyl. Just try listening to Music From the Balcony or The Lake with your amp turned right up, feel the lush bass. No way can my computer compete with that so fuck them lets rock!

ps Sadly I know some of you won't have a good'ol gramaphone player so you'll just have to take my word for it.

pps. Does anybody know if Tr3sLunas will be available in glorious stereophonic sound on vinyl or will I yet again have to stick one of those cold cd's into my old tin box.{sorry for going off topic}
Profile PM 
morten Offline

Posted: June 07 2002, 04:28

Ok Toby you're trying the old LP versus CD discussion. This has nothing to do with Tr3s Lunas but...

I can agree that the early cd versions of 70s albums are not good. That's because the software to convert from analogue to digital was not good enough at that time.

Nowadays nearly all albums are recorded digitally. That means that as soon as the sound leaves the mixer and enters the computer or the digital tape machine the sound is converted to digital. And it stays digital until it enters your amplifier. If it should be be converted again to analogue (vinyl), that means that the signal maybe will loose som of its transients, be smoothened, (or the sound will be warmer as you vinyl freaks call it). It's a kind of degeneration of the sound. Of course all this depends on good AD/DA converters.

To avoid doing it like this you must use analogue tape machines, master it to 1/4" tape and then make a LP (and nobody does that now). But even on vinyl the music has gone through a lot of digital equipment, like reverb delay etc. Do you still prefer the old 60s reverb to modern technology that actually sounds natural? I don't think you do.

Do you people really agree that TB 1 vinyl from 1973 is better to listen than the remastered version?

It's all about nostalgia. But if you say it sounds better of course it sounds better!!!
And the album cover is bigger and better!

Maybe a bit too technical, and no one can take away the good vinyl experience from you.

(I work as an audio engineer and have recorded several albums so i feel I know what I'm talking about)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 07 2002, 14:32

I actually feel that Tres Lunas has quite a nice warm sound already.

The sound depends on the playback equipment partly...an expensive turntable may give you a fuller sound than a cheap CD player, or indeed computer soundcard (though with the way improvements in digital electronics come on in leaps and bounds, even inexpensive equipment can give surprisingly good reproduction).

But as morten just hinted at, there's a bit more to it...
There's something more psychological to it - something about a large vinyl disc seems somehow more friendly...and there are the big covers (which, if you're feeling disrespectful towards the album, you can wear on your head while you listen to it...).

Now...which is better to listen to? I suppose that, again, we take a delve into the workings of the mind...
It seems that the distortions and compression introduced by analogue equipment (both in processing and reproduction) are, in small amounts, pleasing to the ears of most people. It's these distortions and the way they introduce extra harmonics that would seem to contribute to analogue's 'larger than life' feel. A bass sound that's more harmonically rich tends to seem 'fatter' to people than one that's pure. It goes on from there...I'm straying even further off topic with this wink

Mike tried mastering The Songs of Distant Earth to both a 24 bit digital machine and to 1/2" analogue with Dolby SR...he said that he did feel that the analogue master had a warmer sound to it, but that it lacked the clarity of the digital one.

I haven't compared the TB Vinyl to the remaster, but I have with Hergest Ridge. My feel at the time was that the CD remaster was quite unarguably clearer and better defined in its sound quality. Deciding which was nicer was a bit harder - there was something about the fuzzy, warm quality of the vinyl that I thought suited the album rather well, while the remaster seemed a bit too pristine. But I've grown used to the remaster and I think I now prefer it for all its extra clarity.

Warner haven't released any of Mike's albums on vinyl since TSODE. There have been a few club remixes released on vinyl since then, but nothing more. I believe that Vestax were making a disc cutter fairly recently, which you could use to make your own LP (all for about £6000)... wink
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 07 2002, 15:02

in my opinion, both CD and vinyl have their own advantages. with CD, obviously there is a clinical clarity to the separate music tracks in a piece of music - you can hear things better, thats undoubtable. but with vinyl, the sounds tend to blend together better, the instruments aren't so seperately definable and as such I agree that it give a very warm and enjoyable sound. so both can offer something different to the listener.

oh, and about downloading music - did you know that the Smashing Pumpkins actually released their 25 track final album, Machina 2, for download over the internet from their website and encouraged fans to help spread the music? bands and musicians can certainly use this method of distributing music to their advantage - which is obviously being recognised by the record companies, hence the online samples on mikeoldfield-treslunas.com

we're living in very interesting times for both music AND the music industry - this is a very interesting debate and thread!

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: June 07 2002, 21:50

Sure Toby Analog can sound lush and very nice mmmmmmmmmm.Sadly it also means sooo much more work and maintenance Im a lazy Bastard see.Beans on Toast really does mean leave that plate.It takes me ages to get up and turn a CD over!What dya mean I shouldnt do that.......GRRRR I know what iM TALKING ABOUT......I do I tell ya.
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 09:46

Right chaps back to the original topic. Looks like more of the album is appearing on AudioGalaxy. Just downloaded the whole of Firefly, great little tune but doesn't really go anywhere. Could do with a nice little acoustic guitar part on top or something similar. Us critics eh!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2002, 10:05

all the full songs are on audiogalaxy......when u search for them click on the name instead of the satellite icon and then click "get exact version" and get one thats longer than 1:00 and bigger than 900k

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 18 2002, 16:29

No way now to download the album on Audiogalaxy...according to a member of Hibernaculum,all songs are prohibited...damn!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: June 19 2002, 10:50

Don't bother. Audiogalaxy was closed.
Profile PM 
15 replies since June 05 2002, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net