Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Torley Lives' Review, "BUTTERHORNS! MMM!!!"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2007, 04:00

I found this review of TBII at 'Torley Lives' (some guy's personal blog) dated 07/25/06. It's favorable and even glowing, but I thought it was notable for some rather oddly appealing descriptions such as...

While the original is famed as having its beginning clipped like a bird with half-wings to be “the famous music from The Exorcist“, TB2 has an impressive array of earworms all its own that’ll dig into your brain and EAT IT ALIVE! Somewhat — maybe more, if you’re into the venetian effect.

You’re at almost 5 min. of track, tape spooling out, and instruments are weaving back and forth in some wild sort of aural intercourse, and then a hillbilly section with 16th-note clapping breaks down, more and more catchy melodies… arghhh… can’t take it anymore… eargasm.

This one’s called “Altered State”, and yes, it would seem to be some sort of chemically unbalanced egoeccentricism… sh33r w1kk1d, in other words. If you’ve never heard this song before and were just listening to the album and enjoying the route, this track is like a bellowing, assasinine cow with three heads taking a crap all over the road — but here’s the thing, it’s crapping CROISSANTS WITH ICING! AND BUTTERHORNS! MMM!!!

If the sudden blurts and cries of Mr. Neanderthal (aka Mike Oldfield himself, starring as the “Piltdown Man”) don’t creep you, then the rock drums coupled with some weird switchtake of Beatles’ “I Am The Walrus” horns blaring over top SURELY WILL. SURELY WILL! And then, and then the chants of: “KINCASEYYY!!! AIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! AGRHRHRHRHRRRRRR!” Whatever that means.
Get ready for a big ass-whoopin’ of rock before the can gets shaken up and you’re treated to what is truely a trip through the mind of a musical genius. “Altered State” could only be made more unsettling if it were played through a heavy, dripping delay effect or perhaps back-and-forth at varying pitches. (Or maybe a death metal version.) Yipes. But definitely not tripe. By the time this section winds its way to the end of five full glorious minutes of wailing, banging, and overt psychadelic influenza, you’ll be primal-screaming your way through a Japanese teahouse, then a breakstuff room, and at the end of your ravenous rampage, be asking for starchy snacks.

Hehe.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 12 2007, 09:03

"Chemically unbalanced" is right, what has this guy been smoking!

Like the term "eargasm" however    :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2007, 15:46

Faintly like Mark Prindle, except not good.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since April 12 2007, 04:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net