Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: To describe Mike´s music...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2002, 23:03

I wanna know from you what kind of music you think Mike fits in...I´ve seen prog rock and new age,but as far as I know,it´s considered by many as prog rock...what do you think?

Tati the Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2002, 05:34

IMHO, the only common label that you could attach to such different pieces like Mt.St.Michel, Moolight Shadow, Music fom the Balcony, Out of Mind, Earth Moving, Froggy went a-courting... would be just 'Mike's Music'.
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 26 2002, 09:13

Mike has been composing music for at least 30 years, his music style has evolved within time and experiences. How could you possible give one singe lable to this? Don't we have Picasso covering different styles throught his life?
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2002, 18:53

Check this out...in a record store here I saw Mike´s album listed as 'etnhic'...

But since his music is hard to describe,IMHO,I think it´s Mike´s music.

Tati The Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:19

i would call him eclectic, which is a mix of heaps of styles. there just isn't one to suit him.

you can also spell it eklektik. hee hee hee hee

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 01:41

He dosen't really have any one style. I usually call him instrumental or alternative, even though I have no idea what constitutes an 'alternative' song. He's normally in the 'instrumental/new age' sections. I don't really see what's 'new age' about him, though.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 11:40

i would call his music new age
Profile PM 
Impeesa
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 01:29

Hm... HMV and Virgin (haha) all put Mike in Rock/Pop... at least, all the ones I've been to... Personally, I describe him as a 70's guitarist at heart, who dabbles in blending rock, pop, folk, world, new age, celtic, and dance music. Then people look at me like I'm insane, and I tell them to just listen to it.

--Impeesa--
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 16:42

how to describe his music?

KICK ASS!!

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 05:39

Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2003, 14:40

Hehehe Holger, exactly.

The point is, Mike is always put in the wrong categories because each of his works is of a different style, and frequently so different to other music that it is uncategorisable. But it is definitely NOT New Age, I associate that with relaxing and mystical new age beliefs, not Mike's music.

Voyager was traditional Celtic folk, Tres Lunas was electronic, Platinum was disco rock, Earth Moving was pop, Guitars was rock, but Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok - these and others completely transcend any recognised genres. There has been so much division in music due to categorisation, this peculiar compulsion to put everything into small easily identifiable boxes. Let music breathe, just accept it all as sounds, sounds you enjoy, or sounds you do not. That is truely how I now see music.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 16 2003, 05:46

exactly let's all stay away of categorizing music to genres...sometimes in my own productions I also have problems with saying what genre it is sometimes I put in ID3 tags I write something like Progressive New Age Trancey Techno break beats :)))))))))
so why to still hang on genres?
who cares?

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Doris
Unregistered

Posted: May 01 2003, 05:50

I am a newbee. Can anyone tell me what is pro rock?
I agree that is very difficult to categorise Mike's music. However, I find that there are many books categorise his music into prog rock.  :/
Doris
Unregistered

Posted: May 01 2003, 05:57

I am a newbee. Can anyone tell me what is prog rock?

I agree that it is very difficult to categorise Mike's music. However, I find that there are many books categorise his music into prog rock.  :/ Also, I find some books stated out "minimal music". What's that?

I am pleased to see your reply.
Holger Offline

Posted: May 01 2003, 11:03

Quote (Guest @ May 01 2003, 05:57)
I am a newbee. Can anyone tell me what is prog rock?

Also, I find some books stated out "minimal music". What's that?

Prog Rock, or Progressive Rock, is a type of Rock music that started out in the early 70s and that incorporated lots of new influences, e.g. from classical music, into the genre. Prog Rock pieces tend to be much longer than average Rock songs, and very often you will find `concept albums` that develop one basic idea over the length of a whole album, making all songs related. Prog Rock often has a dreamy, removed, surreal athmosphere to it. Prime examples are basically all Genesis albums from the 70s, early King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer and Rush.

Minimal Music is basically a branch of the classical avantgarde, however it took a very different approach to music than did most avantgarde composers at the time (late 60s / early 70s). The term 'minimalism' is a bit problematic for if you listen to some examples of the genre, you might find it not minimalistic at all. It's just a tag that was attached to them and then stuck. The basic feature of 'minimal music' is repetition and slow development. A basic pattern or melody will be constantly repeated with small changes, so that the music does evolve but you'll hardly recognize it. All this may sound very theoretic but be assured that there is some truely beautiful music to be found there. The minimalist composer Mike is most often compared to is Terry Riley, his album 'A Rainbow In Curved Air' is often referred to. Other examples are Steve Reich and Philip Glass. For a very good idea of what this style is about, I recommend Steve Reich's 'Music for 18 Musicians'.

And BTW, welcome to the board, Doris!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 01 2003, 15:14

Before anyone corrects me on it: the Prog Rock thing really started in the late 60s.  :laugh:

And BTW, I don't think Mike belongs in it.
Profile PM 
Doris
Unregistered

Posted: May 02 2003, 06:00

Holger,
Thank you very much :)
Holger Offline

Posted: May 02 2003, 13:01

You're welcome!  :)
Profile PM 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: May 02 2003, 16:32

Most of the time, I call it ambient :cool:
Bones Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2003, 16:48

"Ambient" - now thats a great word to describe it. I like it. "Wandering" would be my own little term to describe it.  Mike just going where his ideas may take him wandering through the different genres, and creating whole new ones

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
24 replies since Feb. 23 2002, 23:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net