Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: To describe Mike´s music...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 07:10

I think "Ambient" applies to some of Brian Eno's experiments, a la Music For Airports and Thursday Afternoon: not exactly music, more like a sound to set up a mood, an athmosphere. Most times, Ambient does not rely in actual melodies - alas, Mike's music relies A LOT on melodies. But I think he did Ambient sometimes: "Woodhenge", for example, is very close to the philosophy of Eno, "Another Green World" era.

Now, Mike's music, I'd call it Exploratory Rock music. Y'know, not exactly "Progressive" rock (like Yes), not exactly "experimental" (like The Residents), much less "Avant-garde" (like Capt. Beefheart! ), but certainly beyond any kind of tradition or cliché, and promoting innovations (kinda like Pink Floyd).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 10:08

Once I read that Mike´s music can be called Oldfield Progressive!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 07:38

as his style changed drasticly through last 20 years and Mike was going through many periods it is extremely dificult to put his on a shelf with one name like Rock or Ambient...
the easiest way to call his style is just...Mike Oldfield sound!

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
DarkOpava
Unregistered

Posted: May 08 2004, 06:41

Mike Oldfield has a lot of fans in Czech republic. But if Mike stop his making........I don't know, what i'm going to listen.
Jim Glass Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2004, 14:30

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 23 2002, 23:03)
I wanna know from you what kind of music you think Mike fits in...I´ve seen prog rock and new age,but as far as I know,it´s considered by many as prog rock...what do you think?

Tati the Sentinel

I  tell people he writes [at least at his best] "Rock Symphonies". I also comment that he is influenced by Celtic, African, Carribean, and Asian music--which is to say, the whole world. Indeed--as my "Variations" thread will tell you I believe TBI and "Airborn/Platinum" to be variations on American musical themes.
Profile PM 
24 replies since Feb. 23 2002, 23:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net