Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: To be free< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
morten Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2002, 09:11

I just heard the new single and I must say that it is maybe the worst I have heard from Mike.

It could have been Englands contribution to the Eurovision song contest or a Kylie Minogue B-side. Pathetic lyrics, maybe because they are easy to translate to different languages, sung by a woman who could easily dub x-rated films.

I'm sure lots of people here will disagree, but some of the fanatic fans are just like religious fanatics. They love and believe everything that the master present.

If the rest of the album is like this, I'm afraid that it will be totally ignored by other than people who accept anything from Mike.

Maybe some wonder why I'm so sarcastic about the the new Mike, but maybe he has nothing more to offer and should consider doing other things. I love lots of his old stuff, but this material is just pathetic and sad.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 29 2002, 10:15

you're a negative man...think positive for a change tongue

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 29 2002, 13:38

congratulations on the angry face, nothing like contributing to the friendly, positive atmosphere!

QUOTE:
sung by a woman who could easily dub x-rated films

...thats Mike's sister Sally, apparently.

Anyway, I could answer you, but I genuinely can't be bothered. Actually, I can. Ever heard Islands? Discovery? Earth Moving? Crises? They've all got poppy fluff on them. But the difference with To Be Free is that it is 'modern sounding' pop fluff, a phenomenon that terrified many old fans circa August 1997 when they bought XXV and nearly had heart attacks falling off their zimmer frames. Bad lyrics? Check! Catchy pop melody? Check! Extra toppings of cheese? Check! Come on, Mike's been doing it since 1979 - you've had 23 years to get used to his habit for writing cheesy pop songs! You sound quite bitter, talking of 'religious fanatics' and 'the master'. If there is one quality that Mike's fans share, its the ability to think for themselves and NOT follow the sheep mentality!

You, sir, are a cloth eared nincompoop!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: April 30 2002, 02:57

everyone has opinions. i haven't heard one good review about the millennium bell, but i'm going to predict that tr3s lunas is going to be in the same style. its either going to be that or TSODE style.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 08:27

Actially Paul from mikeoldfield.com said that it's SODE style with much more guitars which is something to look forward to IMO.

Actually, it seems that many have only heard the trance remix of 'To Be Free' and not the album version that can be found at http://www.theburningbell.com

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: May 05 2002, 13:05

Just heard To Be Free for the first time.. I have to say that it's something like I've expected, maybe even more, although that's not my favorite 'Mike-style', but I don't expect Amarok-sounding album anymore (never did).

I heard there's Sally on the album but it's Jude Sim's voice here (that's what www.tr3slunas.com says).
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 05 2002, 16:04

yeah - its not Mike's sister (as was suggested by several posters, including myself)...its obvious that its not if you read Mike's own comments about Tres Lunas in one of the other topics in this forum - he talks about getting a session vocalist or something, not his sister...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
morten Offline

Posted: May 14 2002, 02:50

Well I got some reactions and that's good.

About me being negative and bitter; Well I feel I'm just being objective. Imagine if you heard that song on the radio not knowing it was a MO song. I'm 100 % sure you wouldn't notice it or think it was a good song. Then why should it suddenly become a very good popsong as soon as you found out it was MO. About the lyrics; I don't think that lyrics are MO strength (just listen to Discovery, Eartmoving. Compared to people like Elvis Costello it's really banal), but I think that he uses voices just like an extra instrument and the meaning of the words is not so important.
I must admit I'm maybe a bit nostalgic, and thinking that everything was better in the old days (I discovered MO in 1983). But many of my old heroes have made less and less good stuff in recent years (Peter Gabriel, Sting etc). Why is that? Maybe their creative well is emptied, maybe they're not "hungry" enough to succeed.

Some said that MO did ordinary popsongs in the eighties, but some of them had a bit more personality than the new single. Why was Moonlight shadow such a big hit? Maybe because it was a bit different from the synthpop of that era. What is up to date with the new single? Nothing really, it could easily have been released in the early nineties.

My subjective hope for a musical direction from MO could be a more acoustic sound. And maybe use some of his old musicians as a rhythm section rather than all the machines (Simon Phillips, Pierre Moerlen). A bit like The wind chimes, In the pool but maybe even more rough, jazzy or folky. Maybe he should leave to others to compete in the popcharts.
Profile PM 
7 replies since April 29 2002, 09:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net