Posted: April 25 2002, 08:01

Just to open the thread...

"Mike said that most of the stuff he hears on the radio is pathetic"

Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2002, 08:17

Maybe he doesn't listen to the radio much and the stuff he has overheard has been bad!

Are you insinuating that 'To Be Free' is pathetic? Actually I think it's great. It seems to go against the vein of the rest of what we have heard in MVR but to me it sums up the spirit of MVR (childlike freedom).

No one would complain if the same tune had screaming guitars in the foreground!

Lets be FREE and listen to this without our prejudices!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 08:35

Hi Timshen

I'm not insinuate anything : i don't like it, but i don't like dance thing, so... It's not very surprinsing that I don't like it, because it's exactly the same as other dance stuff that you could listen on radio.

I would not complain even if this same tune had screaming guitar in the whatever-ground. But... let it grow on my mind, let's see it live...
I was the first to crash TMB, and now, I'm very moderate. I'm not passionate anymore now : I will not argue on this tune, i've listened it twice, and i don't like it.

I don't blame those who like it : it's your right. I even hope you like it. if it makes you happy, it's cool (make it clear : this is not cynism or angry or insult or contempt or haughty, i really hope that some people will like this and respect your opinion!).

I simply agree with Mike : most of the stuff I hear on the radio, I find it pathetic. And To Be Free is not an exeption.
I must say that it is exactly "radio-sized" !

The only good point is there : it may be a huge hit, and some people may like other stuff from Mike.

Respectfully yours
GMOVJ

PS : I hope i didn't upset anyone saying my opinion, this is not my goal.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:17

Thanks for your gracious reply GMOVJ!

Looking at my post I realize it came across rather harsh - sorry about that! I certainly respect your view and fully understand that you find it just like all the other radio stuff.

Actually I would have agreed with you maybe six or seven years ago! Now I actually have opened up a lot (like Mike has) to Pop etc..
Ultimately, I still prefer Mike's instrumentals with guitars (especially the earlier stuff - although TBIII is high up there with me).

Thanks,

Tim

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:46

You welcome Timshen smile

I wasn't upset by your post, don't be afraid, I just explained my point of view and didn't intend to upset anyone...

'in contrario', I could have like this kind of music 10 or 15 years ago wink...

I sometimes like pop songs, like Dido or others thing like this (Dido just came first in my little brain wink), but I don't like the 'style' of To Be Free.
It reminds me (do not understand 'is similar') Aqua, Spice Girl, or pop songs of the 80's like Rick Astley, Samanta Fox, Sabrina, Alphaville, Sandra, ... some things like that (ooold time wink)

Right, I must says that this song is terribly ... "in its time" (?) I try to say that it's exactly in the right place in the right time, like all pop stuff you can hear on every radio station, there's nothing special... one other hit, like you could say one other movie, or one other book...

For me, it seems to be a songs for 14-16 year old people. Some said recently that Mike is trying to catch a new generation...

Now I said what I wanted to, I shut up my big mouth to let others tell their point of view wink

Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 16:46

well this is just remix version...that "normal" version can be very different...didn't someone already heard it? i'm really looking for those instrumental pieces...i've allways thought these songs are just extras, sometimes great and like now doesn't seem to make a difference to me if it's in that album or not. still...i hope album version is better than this.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 18:21

now i've heard the "normal version" and it sounds just great, that remix is bad, don't listen that. it's got good rhythm, just the way i like it biggrin

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 20:17

I've already posted my opinion about this in the News forum, but for safety I'll re-post it here. To me, the 'thump-thump-thump' so-called remix version is absolute shit, the so-called normal 'ethnic' version is abso-fuckin'-lutely great!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin And I don't care at all if it has no guitar. Does 'The Top of The Morning' from TB3 have any typically Oldfieldian guitar in it? No. smile and of course that does not stop the piece from being great. smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 26 2002, 03:48

Hi!

Pfiuuu, all right, this sh*** is only a remix...
I agree with Ugo. The normal version is much more better ! This is a pop song, not so bad but ... not great at all (IMHO)... This is only a pop song still in its time, but for older people (cf. my previous post) (what ? me requiring ? Yes wink)

pb : why don't she SING ? Is it soooo hard to sing something else than chorus ????

good : it may be a very good pop song, with time in my head... I only hope that french radio will promote it correctly, cos it may be a very huge hit.

guit : i don't care... A solo would have been "excessive" in this kind of song...

Cheers

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 26 2002, 06:26

Just heard the 'original' ethnic version which is 100X better than the trance remix - it is wonderful and really goes with the MVR experience. Some of the rhythms remind me of the early Kevin Ayers stuff!!! (maybe that's just be).

Actually, I find Sally's talking quite sexy and don't mind she doesn't sing there!!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 26 2002, 15:29

wow i just heard it...its great! again Mike proves he is the most diverse musician in history!!!...yes its a pop song, yes its a tad cheesy, but its really uplifting, childlike in its simplicity - which is the whole point! i think this song was conceived as one that could be enjoyed by all ages of people, from little kiddies to the old folk, as long as you just enjoy it for what it is - a happy, optimistic song! its probably the man's best 'song' since Moonlight Shadow, and it is undoubtedly pop genius - we already have our Mont St.Michels, our Ommadawns, our Amaroks and our Lake Constances - Mike is just trying new things, free from the constraints that literally every other recording artist seems to currently find upon themselves...anyway, I'm sure the instrumental tracks shall appeal more to those who don't like it!!!....

oh, and hearing the Spanish DJ talking over the track brought back vivid memories of the fast show - se se se, se se se Chris Waddle, anyone? biggrin...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 26 2002, 16:07

French people, do not laugh...

The chorus reminds me of 'Et Maintenant' by Gilbert Bécaud, a French old-fashioned singer (so old-fashioned he died recently).
Am I nut? I think it's almost the same melody, almost the same notes...

Here is a link, it's when he sings:
http://multimedia.fnac.com/multimedia/asp/audio.asp?audio=/2/2/7/0724383758722A05.ra
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 26 2002, 18:36

It reminds me of some of the things which are in the charts at the moment (especially the radio mix of it). Which I think is exactly the idea...I think it's bang on, he's hit on the pop formula...

I don't think it's the sort of thing I'd usually buy, but I think Mike has done well to produce it and create what I feel is a very commercial sounding song.

I hope the marketing strategy works - he certainly has people on the team who ought to know the media well.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 03 2002, 09:18

Hello!
I'm a french guy and I've not yet hear the new Mike's CD... I want to know the date of the parution in France... I'm a big fan, but I'm not following all Mike's ways and I'm sorry to speak so bad english!
I' ve read all messages I can and I want to know if Mike goes to makes an european tour, particulary in France (Paris or somewhere else...)
I hope you answer in EZ language!
Thanks
@+
Vinz Offline

Posted: May 09 2002, 12:17

Hello Mique !

Well, in France, It seems that the release will be on 4th June...
And if you're bored to speak english, just join the french mailing list (see http://www.tubular.free.fr/ for subscription !)

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Mihai Offline

Posted: June 09 2002, 07:43

Does anyone know if "To bee free" entered any charts besides Spain?

Thanks,
Mihai
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 09 2002, 12:19

they don't seem to release the single elsewhere...

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 09 2002, 16:35

They have released TBF in austria too. In Germany (and maybe in all the other countries except Austria and Spain)they have put the TBF Radio Edit as a bonus track on the CD.

Unregistered

Posted: June 09 2002, 17:59

Dont despair if there is no real guitar in any one Mike's pieces.Chances are Mike has played his GI 10 midi guitar interface or latest incarnation technology affords him.You see most of his synth/sample parts will Im sure have been composed and performed from one of his guitars into his seqencer and or his Merlin ... Dont touch that kid, it cost me the price of my house.

So to summarise there is always guitar in there even when there's no guitar in there (Chuckle).
oblique Offline

Posted: July 03 2002, 20:57

Just found out that To Be Free is to be released in the UK on july29th. Makes it easier for most of us to obtain this single at last. That is if you are not from Spain or heading that direction this summer.

I for one am not ashamed to say that I do like the remix I've heard and do want to have it, own it, play and enjoy it.

:cool:

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
20 replies since April 25 2002, 08:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net