Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TL frustration, I feel better now...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Square Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 11 2002, 11:59

I really don't understand you guys (and gals). I wish I could have accomplished so much in this weird game.
(I started playing it just recently).
I seemed to be good at adventure games, but the TL is so chaotic and unrewarding experience for me, that I just can't get past the third/fourth ring - not because I get stuck, I just get really bored and frustrated, and quit the game (and play a bit of Jedi Knight 2 to get over it). I have to get a walktrough, that is the only way for me to enjoy the enjoyable parts.
Only chuckle I get from it is a chuckle of an insane person trying to burn the computer down.
;)
Maybe I AM too stupid for it? hmm

B
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2002, 13:32

Thats quite strange because its the exact opposite for me. Generaly speaking I hate computer games partly because I just find them boring and unimaginative and partly because I'm utterly crap at playing them. But I've got to know MVR pretty much inside out ( as far as I know ) and I love it, I know the graphics are pretty dodgy at times but the overall concept and principal of the thing works well.

If you want to get a walkthrough I would say first of all check the map of MVR at MO.com and identify what you haven't discovered yet. Then check the 'spoiler' section here, I'm pretty sure every concievable ( as far as we know ) path or route through MVR has been posted in the spoiler section together with lots of unusual stuff thats been found out.

I think if you don't find MVR exciting then your kind of missing the point of it slightly its not meant to be a normal computer game experience but more of an interactive movie/audio, visual type of thing. I suppose to this end it could do with slightly more depth ( though please not in a newagey way Mike if you read this ) and as I said before if it had 'blow your mind' graphics it would be amazing.

Something for the future though. Keep at it Mike!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2002, 15:43

i think it's normal if u feel a bit confused... more when u are used to play video games... in my case i've never played more than twice a video game since i get bored with them... just a flight simulator and i think this can't be called properly a video game.

my experience with mvr... at the beginning i also felt confused since there is no a written path... as toby told u, there is a map, which is useful to know the places and later u can fly where u want...there's not a single journey and this makes u go round and round until u can identify the places where u fly and get used to the objects and the music... but later, freedom is one of the most valuable things for me cause this means u can enter without a prefixed aim... i mean... sometimes u can enter just for listening to a particular piece of music or to go to this or that place just because u love the colours there or to enjoy for a flight here or there... or to try to discover new things to do...
i  thought i was going to get bored with it... but what i see is that i've been entering for... almost seven months and i still have the feeling that there are things to be discovered... i love this...

what i would tell u is that u can enjoy with different things and in different ways every time u enter... the aim is not mainly to get the rings but to enjoy with the different 'worlds' inside, i still get surprised sometimes while flying with the owl, for instance. the other day i was going to the good world and i discovered that the flight after the sprites section is amazing too... u take off and get higher and higher rounded by a moving colours rain... it's only another example... there are a lot of beautiful places and one thing i also like is that u can get very close to the objects... u can see them quietly admiring their colours or shapes... it's something like u can go from the biggest to the smallest... difficult to explain... u can admire the beauty of the solar system and also the small face of a locust...
and the music has nothing to envy to the music in the album itself.

if i had to give u an advice (maybe u don't want it or don't need it... if so, forgive me :) i would only tell u 'be patient, fly slow and look for  views and music and objects' ... rings are not so important, they are important just because with them in your pocket u can listen to more music and go to places for which they are the key.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
kris
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 13 2002, 13:22

I've been playing Music VR for the past few weeks and have found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience, simply because its so different than any other game I've ever played.  Its clearly intended as an environment to relax in, rather than giving you a definable goal.   Obviously you don't need to go to the canyon or the snow cavern to finish the game, but I still end up going there anyway!  

The possibilities for future games are enormous as this is hopefully is just the beginning.  I would hope that in future installments, there are even more random occurences and more chaos in general - a game that is quite a bit different every time you re-start would be my preference.  

I'm still unclear if anyone has truly found the proper end music or if anyone thinks its there somewhere.  I find it hard to believe that if its possible, no one has discovered it yet.  But anyway, its a great first effort from Mike, and I can't wait for the next one!
3 replies since Dec. 11 2002, 11:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net