Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Times when Mike has faked it, WHY MIKE! WHY!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wanderer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 12:52

Watching "The Millennium Bell" concert, I was struck by the absolute stupidity of the "Liberation" number. Did they really expect us to believe that it was Pepsi singing those words from Anne Frank's diary??????? I thought the least the director of the video could have done would be to focus on the crowd during the monologue sequence - I mean, what idiots does he take us for.

I recalled the interview footage from the "Elements" video in which Mike talked about how he always felt his live music was "compromised" because he couldn't produce sounds exactly like the ones on his albums. Now, with the advent of synthesizers and sampling he can.... and I feel his live concerts have no soul as a result...

All the live pieces he has performed since "Tubular Bells II" at Edinburgh sound suspiciously like their studio counterparts. So much so that I often wonder how much (other than Mike's guitar, which is indisputably different) of the concert is real.

I would like to know what the other people on the forum think about the three "Bells" concerts currently inprint. What do you think is real? What do you think is playback? And why do you think Mike has done this????
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 16:57

Click here to see my own thoughs about TB II & III... and then, please, tell me your opinion about it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2003, 09:53

Quote (Wanderer @ Oct. 24 2003, 12:52)
Watching "The Millennium Bell" concert, I was struck by the absolute stupidity of the "Liberation" number. Did they really expect us to believe that it was Pepsi singing those words from Anne Frank's diary??????? I thought the least the director of the video could have done would be to focus on the crowd during the monologue sequence - I mean, what idiots does he take us for.

agreed. i didn't like the mb concert because of that, too much playback. sometimes it was just sooo obvious (the pre-mb performance was great though. :)). some stuff on tb2 concert was rather annoying too.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2003, 14:08

I was certainly suprised by how sequenced the TB2 concert was when I heard it (but then again so is the albvum), even some of the percussion work (notably the bell sounds) sound like they are just coming straight off the master tape. A lot of TB3 is synth based as well so thats excusable, I did think the miming of the big bell sound during FATC was a bit naff. It depends where you want to draw the line beween what you want to do for purely theatrical purposes and what you want to do for musical purposes. Mike has often said he wants his live performances to sound as much like the album versions as possible, however there comes a point where you may as well just press play on the CD player and have everybody miming. Personaly I prefer live versions of Mike's music to be either subtly different or very different to the album versions, I've never really liked any of the recent bells albums live for this reason, although TB3 was better live because there was more power to it than Mike captured with his album production.  

Whenever Mike says that Amarok would be impossible to perform live I always think why don't you just re-write certain sections and do a live interpretation of it, just pick one or two themes from it and re-work them.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Oct. 24 2003, 12:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net