Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thoughts on MVR.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2002, 15:19

Now that we've all been playing MVR for some time now I was wondering what peoples final judgements on the game where.
Having just gone back to playing it again I must say that personaly I do think its really great fun.

I remember being cinical of it when the various demos came out I thought they where pretty naff and the music extremely half hearted but the finished 'game' was a different kettle of fish alltogether. Most of the music was really good, indeed better than what was released on TL and the actuall premise of the 'game' was way, way better than what the demos had prepared us for.

I suppose the critisisms I do have would be to do with the quality of the graphics in places. I suppose they had to make room in the program for the music and the software to run it. However the finished program isn't particularly massive so was there any compramise made to make it of downloadable size from the net?
Personaly I think it could do with slightly more depth as a 'game' (picking up magic rings isn't that original lets face it)  because as a whole it is such a strong idea and a good canvas for doing something even bigger in the future.

And that leads me on to a question for Mike. Would it be possible to expand MVR in the future? Would it be possible for Mike to produce plugins every so often that could be downloadable and expand the MVR universe.

Remember the final demo? Well remember the bit at the end where you flew through the mountain range? It would be so good if this bit was in the final game. (maybe it is)    

I don't know exactly how difficult and time consuming it would be for Mike and his team to model new worlds and for Mike to produce the music but it would be cool if, say every 3 or 4 months they produced a new section for it but didn't tell you where it was in the 'game'. Would this be possible? It would interesting to find out.

Maybe Mike's future lie's in doing this kind of thing, I think as computers get more and more powerfull and the graphics get better and better MVR as a concept may be the way ahead. I think its a strong enough idea.

What does everyone else think.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2002, 16:16

[Would it be possible to expand MVR in the future?...
...I don't know exactly how difficult and time consuming it would be for Mike and his team to model new worlds and for Mike to produce the music but it would be cool if, say every 3 or 4 months they produced a new section for it but didn't tell you where it was in the 'game'. Would this be possible? It would interesting to find out...]

i completely agree with u toby, same wish :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2002, 05:12

Do I remember completly wrong or is not Tr3s Lunas the first of three episodes in the MVR-project? I recall Mike saying something like this on his first website for the project and in some interviews. I also think I read somewhere that a nwe episode called Tubular World maybe could be released along with Tubular Bells re-recording. But since no one is talking about it I presume I am wrong on this one. But it would be a great idea, wouldn't it? The name fits with the album too:) Well, we can just hope for a follow up on this game.

One more thing, these three episodes that it was talk about in the beginning of the project sholud if I remember correct expand the original game. So the two upcoming episodes, if they come, will be addons for the Tr3s Lunas game and will by that expand the original game.

Anyone that knows otherwise about this?

Buy the way, I haven't played the game for a long time now. It feels like have seen most of it, and its hard to figure out what to do to find new things. I think a little more linear story would be a great idea for next episodes plus some hints and tips on what to do. Its almost to much freedom in the game. But its fun, that I agree with:)

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2002, 14:18

He did mention doing a Tubular World but I think only as a passing idea. You're right Thomas he did say TL was the first of 3 episodes of MVR but as we all know from past experience what Mike says and what Mike does can be two completely seperate things, he alway's like's to keep his options open. I think Mike also said he would only produce a sequal (or sequals) if TL proved to be a success. Whether it's been judged as a success or not I have no idea. I wonder just how many people have registered to play it up untill now?  

As I said above I do think MVR is a valid and interesting idea and I do think TL was definately a good first step in what could be potentialy a whole new concept in audio visual enertainment. Given better graphics and maybe slightly more depth, although I appreciate it's not meant to be as 'high brow' as something Peter Gabriel might do, I do think it could easily broaden its popularity beyond Mike's fanbase.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2002, 16:53

Music VR Episode 1 ‘Tres Lunas’ by Mike Oldfield

This is what you can read as a header in the Music VR section at mikeoldfield.com

I know Mike often changes his mind, lets hope he for once do not do it, and yea, it would be great to know how many who actually bought the whole game.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2002, 19:49

as time passes and i fly in mvr i remain saying that for me this is a great project, i can see like a kind of seed on it (maybe i'm too optimistic about it... i don't know...) i know about its gaps... i mean not everything is good in mvr... sometimes graphics get stuck and u lose your ava while flying between worlds... :/ or it's very very slow to start... another thing that for me is a bit annoying is that when u are the host, if your connection fails, u have to start from the beginning, i mean, the others have to restart the game with the new ip... maybe this can not be changed... i don't know...but it would be great if it were possible for the host to continue from the place he/she was before the disconnection... it would be cool if there were a way for the others to join the host quickly if the ip changes... and in that way the trip could continue in the same place it was before the disconnection...

in other hand... flying alone is nice too and i'm discovering that it happens to me that i'm hooked at some of the music inside... the same as when u get hooked for some time with this or that album... i mean... sometimes i enter just for going here or there... to listen to the owl's flight music for instance or to relax for a while over the canyon or in the forest...
other times i enter to look for new places or for trying new possibilities in the search of rings...
there's a lot of possibilities inside.. i think it's very complex because of the freedom... but this is good
and what i also like is that for flying with others it seems it's very necessary to listen to the others... it's not easy to speak because going to the board is not easy sometimes... i've checked that, though sometimes it's necessary to get some clues from the board, the flight is more pleasant without going too much to it but looking at the other, trying to follow...

i can see a new "something" in mvr... i hope the mvr team consider it's worth it to keep on adding the second episode and the third and...
it's a nice world  :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Oct. 29 2002, 15:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net