Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thoughts on Mike's videos, Finally got hold of the video!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 09 2005, 18:02

It was great fun watching the Elements DVD. I admit I hadn't seen most of the videos. I had seen Pictures in the Dark on swedish TV in 1985 (after which Mike performed Jungle Gardenia playback with his band), and I have seen Moonligt Shadow on MTV.

The performance of TB1 is excelent! Great musicanship and not as "rocked up" as the Exposed version. Great stuff and Mike looks good!

The "pre-exegesis" videos are fun but kind of naive. Mike doesn't look he wants to participate, which is a great contrast to the later videos. He looks seriously embarrased by that dance troupe that's invaded his home in one clip.

The early 80s videos are more pretentious. It was a time of wild visual experimentation and all the bizzare things that turn up on the screen distracts from the music. FMO is the worst (technically speaking), but the S/M girls in Shadow on the Wall is pure 80s rock video cliché.

The videos for To France and Tricks of the Light are interesting just to see the band in action. Makes me think of what a brave decision it was to bring Maggie Reilly on board although she didn't neceserily look the part of mid 80s rock chicks. Her voice is amazing.

But the video thing really started getting out of hand in '85 when Mike bought that video studio/computer thing. Pictures in the Dark and Shine are really hysterical visually. Jon Andersson doesn't make an ass out of himself (as I for some reason expected him to do).
The most *stupid* moment must be when Mike's chest "beats" in time with the bass drum in Pictures in the Dark. That wasn't too cool really! :-/

I know these videos weren't meant to last forever and they were mostly done to have something to show on TV to promote the singles, but the famed "Video album" must be an all time failure!
The only video on "The Wind Chimes" that seems to have involved a professional producer is Magic Touch (which I remember as one the worst tracks from Island, but it sounds kind of catchy now!;). The Time Has Come has the worst video ever. Just a bunch of random religious symbols flying around the screen, superimposed over Anita's face. She's a cute girl, but she doesn't look to smart with that 80s/ancient look, face squeezed into a square at the bottom of the screen. I watch the video for the 20 minute title track when I suddenly realize the visuals are OK as "background" when you're just hanging about. Kind of like the "fireplace" videos that were popular at the time. Perhaps that was the intention? Anyway, Kevin Ayers is always cool.

The Earth Moving and Heaven's Open videos looks more professional. Perhaps Mike hired outside producers? Mike is no actor, that's for sure. I love Innocent so much that I even think the visuals are kind of nice.

Perhaps you think I'm overly negative, but I don't mean to sound negative. But I don't think Mike Oldfield ever was a great visual artist. He's a great musician, and the most captivating images are the ones that just future the man playing his instrument. I'm grateful that Virgin did release this DVD though. It's fun to have and it made me go back , listen and re-eveluate some of the older albums.

Now I'm just waiting for the Knewborth video be released on DVD. that's an INCREDIBLE performance!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: June 12 2005, 21:22

Knewborth video? What concert is it?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 12 2005, 22:18

Afaik Alex Proyas co-directed Magic Touch with Mike,and you can notice the huge difference between this video and the rest from The Wind Chimes.

As a big videoclip fan in general,even for 80's standards,most of Mike's video stuff looks very dated,except for some videos(MS/Innocent/HO/Islands/MT).Mike dis a huge effort by directing some of his videos,but if you compare to what was on videoclips on that time,things were better for other artists...but we all know that Mike doesn't like much to collaborate with other people,since he thinks he'll loose control of his ideas and respecting'em.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 13 2005, 17:17

when the 80s video boom took off I thought it was the best thing ever, wow song's and film's at the same time, but it is now the oo's and thing's have moved on, if you want to watch really shit video's I recommend VH1 they always play them and believe me all the stuff I thought was great also look's crap. So I now look at Element's as more or less a visual document of Mike's work. ps I still think there is a lot of good stuff on it.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
3 replies since May 09 2005, 18:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net