Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: those who like it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
far above the clouds Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 11:59

:D  I love this album! So uplifting and spiritual. His hooks are there as is his trademark guitar. This is sophisticated pop! Not like the crap on the radio here back in 1989! Glad to see some other fans of this album! Cheers!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 12:32

I agree somewhat with that post. Most of EM is completely unlike the crap that was going on in 1989. It's more like the crap that was going on in 1987, and its whereabouts.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 13:10

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 01 2005, 12:32)
I agree somewhat with that post. Most of EM is completely unlike the crap that was going on in 1989. It's more like the crap that was going on in 1987, and its whereabouts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EM would have been an ideal accompaniment to a Stallone movie - they could have used it for Rocky V or (the yet to be written) Over the Top II; it has that macho, US, muscle and love feel to it all (if you catch my drift).

Great post Sir M - I literally spat my coffee up the PC screen!  :D

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 20:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 01 2005, 12:32)

That does deserve a chuckle. I still feel EM is still way more sophisticated than anything in '87 either. Oh - yes, that is just my humble opinion.

--------------
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 14:55

oh yes it,s a great album if your five years old and a cloth-eared nincompoop.I,m sorry but this really is the worst album ever made,even mike hates it .
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 15:17

Quote (hergest fridge @ Sep. 02 2005, 14:55)
oh yes it,s a great album if your five years old and a cloth-eared nincompoop.I,m sorry but this really is the worst album ever made,even mike hates it .

Last time I checked I was neither 5 yrs old nor a cloth eared nincompoop. As far as being the worst album ever made? Highly doubtful! Opinions opinions opinions. Gotta love it!

--------------
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 16:02

"GOTTA HATE IT "!!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 17:09

Worst ever? How come? It has "Holy" in it!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 02:56

"holy" and your point is sir m ? this album goes against everything i like about mikes music . it,s just pure pop dross,and a record he was forced to make.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 09:13

He was forced to make 13 albums, but just because he was forced didn't mean they were awful.

I'm yet to hear Earth moving but taking on board both side's arguements I'm sure my first listen will be an interesting experience!  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 13:56

Quote (hergest fridge @ Sep. 03 2005, 02:56)
"holy" and your point is sir m ?

Well, imagine how many albums out there don't have even one good song in them! :) It's true Earth Moving was Mike's "favour" album to Virgin, but there still is a bit of good musicianship to be displayed in the album. "Holy" is just the primary example, to me. I also like "Runaway Son" and "Bridge To Paradise" quite a bit.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 14:36

ok sir m some of the musicianship i can just about live with on this album,but the lyrics and alot of the singing are just so awful .
Profile PM 
Salamanda Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2005, 06:47

I just love Earth Moving.  Mike's guitar work is fantastic on this album and the songs are so catchy.  This is definitely one of my favourites of Mike's !!   Lots of variety in the vocals and guitar sounds.  It's a really uplifting album

I think I'm in a minority here though :o)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 23:02

Quote (raven4x4x @ Feb. 09 2002, 01:53)
I like Far Country. It has a great guitar solo. So does Holy. EM is a good album, but he has done better.

I think that about sums it up for me too.
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2010, 18:25

I used to think this LP was totally and utterly worthless.....I first heard it in the mid-90s and it sounded very dated and anachronistic. But in 2010 it seems as if EM's time has come for me at least, especially Hostage, See The Light and Nothing But/Bridge.. now I find it so energetic and refreshing  :cool:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2010, 21:52

I like half of it ("Holy", "Runaway Son", "Far Country", and "Innocent") but am largely indifferent to the rest of it.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2010, 04:36

I remember the day I bought EarthMooooving (89) I was quite a distance from home.
During the next 2 hours travel ,scouring over the booklet and such.
Being quite excited.
New Mike check,last song a long-play check,
TB symbol on disc check.great freaky cover check everything in place.

Well I was disappointed on the first listen but it soon became part of my life's soundtrack.
And then slowly fell of the radar destined to gather dust next to This Notes for You and the best of Baltimora   :)

But recently I played the hole album through and was quite taken back at the high production level and beauty that is to be found albeit sparingly.

The Hard and Holy mix is superior and I am glad I bought that soon after.
The title track (Album vers) has always been a favorite of mine and is a lot of fun to play along too (Northpoint being my all time favorite to play as far as his singles go).

The Far Country solo a standout yes.

So in finishing if this is the album he owed Virgin (As has been said) thats fantastic ,because the next One he made for us and that is something most of us will treasure forever.

Earthmoving made Amarok happen :laugh:
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 10 2010, 05:04

While it is a long way short of being my favourite Mike album EM does contain a couple of guitar sections that stand out for me. The duet in Far Country and the solo in Blue Night. Love both of those!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2010, 13:16

The first time I saw or heard Mike Oldfield it was 'Moonlight Shadow' on a black/white TV when I was 9 and I became fascinated, so vocal music is for me a normal and still special way in which Mike has expressed his creativity.

I'm listening to 'Earth Moving' recently, and for sure there's a surviving magic that makes it last with time. Nikki Bentley adds a spice to the whole work that gives it coherence and has never appeared again (besides some bits in Heaven's Open), and this and the new PRS distorted and wha'd guitar sounds make a difference as well from previous works like 'Islands'.

I really consider two gems in this album, being 'Holy' and Earth Moving', the first one being immaculately sung by Adrian Belew, whose crystal clear voice could have been used for more works with a guaranteed success. The solo guitar sound appears suddenly as a new feature never witnessed before, that heavily distorted wha overdrive sound that would be a hit in latest works, specially 'Amarok' and 'Tubular Bells III'.

'Earth Moving' suprises you for the unusual in Mike's world soulish feel of the lead vocalist, and the percussion, being obviously sampled or sequenced, is top quality and very original in the way it leads the timing of the song. The (bass or guitar???) intro is also brilliant and so are the backing voices. More predictable is the sax solo, although much more dynamic and fitting in the song than the one in 'Islands'. The highlights of the song are the strong work on the lead vocal and the Mike trademark guitar's short and strong melody repeating at the climaxing end.

I would even add to those two the uncombustible 'See the Light', a power-rock gem with a very hypnotic and repetitive instrumental motif at the end as well, with synths and guitar, and the wonderful ballad dedicated to Mike's daughter, Greta, 'Far Country'. This one, if made with rather simple sequencers and rythm that come in straight from 'Islands', has a lot of charm and reaches up to heavenly heights at the instrumental guitar tandem by Oldfield and Belew. I would say that makes the most special and rememberable moment in the whole album.

The rest of it is more than decent, varied, inspired, and full of quality and even meaning, although for me the low point on it is 'Innocent', which, as someone before has assembled, attempts to be taken seriously and that makes its failure; I think it would have come up better as a bit of a funnier or more comic song.

About the end, i don't know the reason why the last two tracks are linked, as there's no thematic or musical nexus between them, and I consider any of them could have been a good finale separately (even better 'Nothing But' ).

Mike's 'Earth Moving' should be regarded as a hard earned success in delivering the music Virgin were compelling him to make, without treasoning the faithful listeners, and giving them a real quality pop album. Even so, 'Amarok' would en up being a release for everybody... except Richard Branson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
58 replies since June 07 2000, 14:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net