Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: those who like it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2000, 14:16

To me, this is Mike's best workings with lyrics. There seems to be love and religious influence, but this just adds to the personality of this work.

Best tracks (IMHO), are Holy, Hostage, Innocent, Earth Moving, and Bridge to Paradise.

Is there anyone besides me who likes this album? Personally, I think this is one of Mike's best dealings with lyrics, but is there any one else who thinks the same way!

Come out of the closet, all you Earth Moving lovers! biggrin You're among friends here, there's no need to feel alone anymore!! hahaha!

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 06-07-2000).]
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 07 2000, 16:00

I like EM, too. "Hostage", "Innocent" and "Runaway Son" are IMHO great pop songs. I once made a MIDI version of "Hostage". When I went online in '99, I was surprised that there are no other MIDIs from EM on the web (or are there??), and that EM has so low rankings on most websites. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
SandAbyss Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 01:05

Despite what most people say, I agree with the two of you. EM has some very good vocal songs. Even my brother who hates the music of Mike Oldfield(God rest his soul wink) was very interested and liked See the Light.

Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 03:52

Well guys, I'm happy to not be alone...
The other fans don't really appreciate this record which is, they think, too "commercial"... According to me, it's the beginning of the 90's era : One different style for each albumn. This one has only songs, that's all. And I think that we can't say that this albumn was made for selling, if we watch the few number of this record sold... (Or it's really a failure in that case !)
But my preferred song is, without any doubt, Blue Night. Why ? because it was the return of Maggie Reilly. Mike has written this song just for her, and it makes what a song !

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: July 01 2000, 15:56

I just noticed this a few days ago: at the very beginning of "Hostage" is what is unmistakably German. But it's a bit hard to hear. The only words I can clearly make out are "zwitchen" (between) and "Autobahn" (german, free-for-all highway wink. Since I'm going deaf in one ear, of course it's hard for me to make out.

I took german in high school and that's the only reason I could even make out those words.

Can anyone out there make out anything more?
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: July 01 2000, 17:05

Hi Fox, you are right. It's an excerpt of a German radio report. The speaker is reporting about the "Gladbecker Geiseldrama" (= hostage drama of Gladbeck). Two gangsters made a bank robbery and took a girl named Silke Bischoff as a hostage. There were many yellow-press people around, making interviews with the gangsters etc. So the police could not strike, and the gangsters drove off in a car with the hostage. They managed to go a long way (into the Netherlands and back, I think), before the police could spot them again. When the police finally decided to strike, pursuing the gangsters on the Autobahn (= highway), the hostage was killed. Many people said it could have been avoided without all the press people around. It was freedom of press against security.
-Carsten-
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: July 01 2000, 22:27

WOW! I never would have guessed such a thing. I guess you heard more of that part of the track than I ever could have! Since I can only make out two words I find it hard to believe that that's where it came from.

'Course, it helps to have it as a first language, too. Thanks.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: July 02 2000, 16:45

The German words are:
"... Autobahn zwei von Hannover in Richtung Oberhausen zwischen Autobahnkreuz ..."
From this, of course wink you CAN'T guess where they are from. But I read the Gladbeck thing somewhere. Check, for instance: www.toucansolutions.com/oldfield/articles/arrive.htm
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2000, 15:52

The lyrics are really great, so when I heard EM first time I thought: well, Mike Oldfield is not only a composer, but he's the great poet and philosopher...But don't you think it would be better if the lyrics were published as a philosophical thesis written as poems in a book and Mike composed one more monumental suite? wink
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 04:42

I think that it is too commercial, but it is also good pop. And pop has it's place in the musical scheme of things.

My favourite song is Bridge To Paradise - great ending, but I'd have prefered it if it didn't fade out. IMHO, Mike seems to have trouble writing endings - look at Guitars for example, and the speech on Amarok.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 15:31

Mike, of all people? Trouble writing endings?!
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 18:11

For those who like it, I've made a new MIDI: Far Country (available at this site). And listen to the ending: so surprising, so unconventional,... and so perfect. wink

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 18:12

[Software Error - deleted]

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2001, 10:57

I know that Mike has done some great endings on pieces (Amarok springs to mind, although there are others). I just don't like fadeouts which Mike tends to use on songs.

I'm working on a MIDI of Holy (the Hard and Holy Remix) at the moment. Assuming that I don't run out of MIDI channels, I'll pass it on to iOlivier when it's finished.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2001, 11:00

I know that Mike has done some great endings on pieces (Amarok springs to mind, although there are others). I just don't like fadeouts which Mike tends to use on songs.

I'm working on a MIDI of Holy (the Hard and Holy Remix) at the moment. Assuming that I don't run out of MIDI channels, I'll pass it on to iOlivier when it's finished.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2001, 15:34

Great! Finally, the list of EM MIDIs starts to grow a bit! I'm looking forward...
Mat: I don't like fadeouts, either. A piece of music should lead to a definite conclusion, shouldn't it? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2002, 01:53

I like Far Country. It has a great guitar solo. So does Holy. EM is a good album, but he has done better.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2002, 14:36

I´ve just bought the album and I enjoyed to see Mike playing pop tunes.But it´s a different kind of pop,with quality and good lyrics.

Fave tunes...Hostage,Innocent,Runaway Son,Earth Moving,Bridge to Paradaise.

But I do miss some instrumentals on that album.Overall,it´s a nice album,but please don´t compare it with other albums,maybe you can compare some songs...

Tati the Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 11 2002, 14:57

i think earth moving is disliked because it has no obvious element of what makes mike different to everyone else...but hes there in the melodies, the playful backgrounds, the clever hooks...earth moving displays quite a sophisticated pop sensibility, particullarly in earth moving, far country, and runaway son...mike himself said he was proud to have the album in his discography...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 15:42

many good songs here...see the light, hostage, innocent and bridge to paradise, those are my favourites. i never found out what's the thing with nothing but/bridge to paradise...why connected  ???

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
58 replies since June 07 2000, 14:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net