Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: those in the minority< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2000, 14:19

I confess!!!! I like this album, too! Sure, it may have been written in a hurry, but it turned out great!

The last track took some time to grow on me, but eventually it did. I like this mainly for its songs, and the title track is one of the most powerful he's ever done!

Am I alone in this view?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 07 2000, 19:13

No you're not alone...

I don't think it's the best he's done, but Idon't think it's bad either. The title track is certainly great and I find that a lot of the tracks say a lot - No Dream, for example, with that really spiky aggressive sounding guitar solo at the end. Music from the Balcony...I'm not sure I find that particularly easy to listen to, but I see where he's coming from with it. Some parts of it sit more easily with me than others really - I have a feeling that's how it's meant to be. The structure of that track brings to mind a neurotic Amarok or something similar...
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 03:49

redface - I must confess that, even when I said somewhere else in tubular.net that I had all albums, I was forgetting this one... Yes, that is true (oooooh lord), mea culpa, mea maxima culpa wink

frown - I don't have this one (and I'm very sad of this fact), I can't find it in record shop nor in french online stores... I know I could find it on some other web, but I'll wait for HDCD. Well... Maybe this Album should be considered "rare" in France, I only saw it once in record-shop ! (and I didn't buy it mad so stupid am I !)

But, I've already heard some tracks and I've got some in MP3. Heaven's Open (12') is a MARVELLOUS pop song, so powerfull ! Gimme Back is very great too. Even if I often prefear some longest and instrumental works, those songs are perfectly mature, smart and with great melodies.
I think I'll like this album, as soon as I will own it !

Can you tell me more about MFTB (in another topic if you want) ?
Cheers

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 15 2000, 02:39

I have one question that's been bugging me about this thing for a while now:

That strange sound that starts off "Music From the Balcony", and pops up throughout the track; what is it? I can't figure out what that sound is! Does anyone know?
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 15 2000, 14:03

sorry for keeping you, but I just figured out that MFTB means "Music From the Balcony" rolleyes.

***All of the following is IMHO***

If you think Amarok is insane, then you're about to be surpassed in that mentality with this track. The final track of Heaven's Open is insane, and sounds disorganized at first. It took a little time to grow on me, and you have to REALLY listen to it to realize its form.

It starts off a little slow with the first "part," but picks up speed and "bodies in motion tend to stay in motion!" The sound that starts the track off I still can't identify.

You'll be surprized to hear animals in the foreground (birds chirping, loons calling, monkeys calling, even a lion roaring!) in the second "part" of the track.

"Part" three: A bouncy, happy sounding part. The thing that throws me off is that there's a saxophone in it -an instrument seldom used in Mike Oldfield's albums!

The ending is quite powerful and impressive. But remember, upon first listen you'll probably think it's disorganized and thrown together. Give it time to grow on you, and really listen to it! You'll spy form and texture in no time!

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 06-15-2000).]
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2000, 14:20

Originally posted by Fox:
"Part" three: A bouncy, happy sounding part. The thing that throws me off is that there's a saxophone in it -an instrument seldom used in Mike Oldfield's albums!

Hmm... Mike said in Langeland, during the Then & Now 99 tour:
"I hate saxophones [...] I don't like the sound of saxophones. It sounds like a fart. <laughter> To my ears. http://tubular.net/articles/99_07f.html

Olivier

Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 15 2000, 20:30

That's the exact reason the saxophone threw me off! I read that article, and was surprized to hear the saxphone in the track playing such a powerful role in the section!

That's what makes this track interesting: he does a lot of things on this track that he probably wouldn't do otherwise wink
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: June 16 2000, 04:36

For me, MFTB is the part I've not enjoyed very much, but the sung part has its special moments. Also the HO 12" version has a quite good guitar parts!
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 19 2000, 06:16

Thanx Fox !
I'm pleased to read this review smile
I guess I'll like MFTB (hum sorry... wink) : I like very very much Amarok, The Wind Chimes and this kind of "desorganized" music... Even if I must admit that most of MO tracks are not always very easy to understand the first time... Anyway, I promise : I will let MFTB "grow on me" (what a funny expression in its french translation wink but i think I get it.) and listen it several time. I'm now very optimistic !
Thanks again, GMOVJ

PS for cipher : You said it : what a wonderful guitar riff in HO 12 !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
MrShame Offline

Posted: June 19 2000, 09:48

Heaven's open is a great album with one bad track: Music from the balcony. The title track is great but my favourite one is MrShame...One tip for every HO hater --> Don't play it. Mike has made enough albums you can play instead!

MrShame [Jeroen]
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 19 2000, 12:50

GMOVJ, I hope whoever/whatever translates my typing is relyable. English is full of funny experssions. I took German in high school, and learned some of their expressions. To an american, most of them sound funny, too...when translated literally, that is. Makes me wonder how on earth movies are translated into other languages.

Just out of curiosity, GMOVJ, what does the expression (which I've probably coined myself for all I know): "A Mike Oldfield album grows on someone," mean literally in your language? I can't comprehend it meaning anything different (because I only know one language), and it's fascinating to me that it could mean something different in another language. Also makes me wonder how two nations can ever communicate confused wink.

I know there must be a few experssions in your language that mean something completely different here, in the great U.S. of A. (there's an american pun for you smile).

I know I'm a bit wierd for saying these good things about HO. Frankly I feel like I'm one of the only ones who actually likes Mike's "unknown," "comercial" works (Discovery, EM, HO). Hey, I'm proud to be an odd fan!

In fact, I'm listening to Discovery right now! Hahahahaha! And I love it!!! Hahahahaha.

This is just to say that I'm not an ordinary fan. I haven't found a bad album yet (IMHO, Voyager is a little weak, but not bad), and I've quite a few of his CDs....16 of them to be exact. I like the ones that most people seem to think are horrible, and at the same time like the ones that everyone else seems to like, too.

I'm here to advocate everyone giving his lesser-known albums a chance. If one will take the time to really listen to them, one will appreciate them. Be open minded when listening to HO, EM, and Discovery; they are different from anything else he's done. Just give them a fair chance, please.

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 06-19-2000).]
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 19 2000, 16:41

Hi Fox & everyone!
1) Yes it sounds funny (in German) that something "grows on you". Must be HAIR!! (ha-ha)
2) It's really a saxaphone! And it sounds like a fa**! AMAZING!!!
3) Is it also "Thom Newman" (with the H) everywhere in the booklet & inlay of your CD? And why??
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 19 2000, 17:01

Hi, CK [that's for CarstenKuss... smile] I've GOT Heaven's Open (just bought it,after listening to the whole of it on MP3's...) It is REALLY "Thom Newman". It's a joke of the same nature of the "Michael Oldfield" one: Newman's full name is of course Thomas. "Thom" is an old-fashioned (1800's) way of abbreviating it.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 20 2000, 04:52

Hi all,
Originally posted by Fox:
Just out of curiosity, GMOVJ, what does the expression (which I've probably coined myself for all I know): "A Mike Oldfield album grows on someone," mean literally in your language?

Hum, try to imagine a guy with a big HO CD on his head, and the CD's growing and growing.... surrealistic wink...
Of course, I understand the meaning of this sentence, cos' French Language is plenty of this kind of 'poetic' expression...

Er... where is the pun ?

'Smaller Pieces' : I agree, they are NOT smaller pieces, Discovery was the first or second LP I bought and I love it too. Voyager, QE2, ARE great albums...
Alright, IMO EM is very weak, but that's only because I prefear Instrumental music smile
Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: June 20 2000, 15:38

Thanks, Ugo. So I looked for more "jokes" on the HO cover. Here's what I found:
1) "michael oldfield heavens open" (with italic o and without ')
2) "Don't you know we're not Virgin"
3) "The Copyright in this Recording is owned by Virgin Recordes Ltd." (with the e)
-CK-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 20 2000, 18:38

4) on the inside of the cover where the lyrics are, "The Band were"..."The Sassy Choir were." This is an english grammar "mistake." The words "Band" and "Choir" collectivally referr to more than one thing, but are treated singular. The proper way is: "The Band was"..."The Sassy Choir was." I put "mistake" in quotes because it's just part of the joke. It might be something that someone who has english as a second language might not realize.

5) the lyrics to No Dream, "...this ain't no dream, babe." The phrase, "ain't no," is tecnically incorrect, too. "Ain't no" is a double negative. An english teacher would think it means it "is a dream," because the two negatives cancel eachother out! But the way real people speak english, they understand it to be slang and forget that it's incorrect. The meaning understood to be the same as if it had been said gramatically correct: "This is no dream," or "This isn't a dream." But let's face it -that sounds too formal for the mood and theme of HO!
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: June 21 2000, 17:54

Interesting, Fox! "Ain't no" is IMO a phrase often used in (U.S.) blues&jazz lyrics, and thus is very unusual for Mike. Like a saxaphone! wink

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: June 26 2000, 06:10

What does EM stand for? What MO album? Being a new fan of his I hate all this shortened names because I have to look them up all the time hehehe! smile
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 26 2000, 11:07

Hi Mr New Fan
EM stand for Earth Moving.
See the FAQ :

You use all these abbreviations, and I don't know what they mean!

Here is a list. The middle of it, from TB to VO must be the shortest discography in the world. (No abbreviation? Just a "?" ? Well, it's not everything that we abbreviate.)

etc...
tubular.net/faq

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2000, 14:47

Of all the tracks from HO I like No Dream the best. It may sound strange but listening to His voice all these 6 minutes (and 2 seconds) I can fall to my knees and cry...I've got not enough words to say ( or write ) how wonderful it is!
If I heard No dream at concert I think I would go crazy or die...
Does anybody think the same?

Profile PM 
35 replies since June 07 2000, 14:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net