Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: This was kind of interesting., Maurice Jarre fake quote.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 12 2009, 11:42

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090512/ap_on_hi_te/eu_ireland_wikipedia_hoaxer

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 13 2009, 19:17

I read about this. Someone might say that Wikipedia is misleading and of course it can be, but I'd be more worried about the state of journalism. To find out that some big media houses decided to borrow from Wikipedia is actually very funny.

In my opinion Wikipedia is a good source for almost anything. It can be trusted because it shows you where the information comes from (notes) or else it mostly says "citation needed". And the fact that everyone can edit Wikipedia is not a bad thing: misinformation is removed very soon and vandals are blocked. Someone said there are as much errors in Encyclopædia Britannica as there are in Wikipedia. Maybe Wikipedia is even more accurate. Who knows.

There's also much incorrect info about MO in the media but non in wikipedia, at least not in my language because I mostly removes it. haha. I Makes it better. (not in Engrish language Wikipedia, don't worry). Anyway that Irish dude made a good hoax. Just don't hassle with Mike's pages, Shane. Then you be fine.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 13 2009, 20:09

The point has been delivered across very well: the problem is not how accurate Wikipedia is, but in how much people are willing to trust it. Sometimes it's not even a matter of trusting: they just want the quickest images and pieces of info in order to publish THEIR news faster than everybody else, so research and double-checking get thrown out of the window.

A sort of jarring case happened with an Italian newspaper, that reported the arrest of Brazilian bank owner Daniel Dantas, with a picture of the guy; all fine so far, except the photo depicted another completely different Daniel Dantas, a TV actor. In that case, no vandalism at all was necessary -- they just GOOGLE'D the guy's name and COPY-PASTE'D the first photo they found. Quick news, quick joke.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since May 12 2009, 11:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net