Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: This is no whine, this ain't no book, this is no whine, this ain't no whine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 14:12

Sorry dewds, I just ain't hearing it. The whine to which you refer. Jim takes a guzzle of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager.....I bought the 2LP set as soon as it was released. I was a 16yo in wonderland. For a long time it was MO's best yet. But after about a year of getting my Ya Ya's out on this, then other albums from other folks took my interest....one day, "it seems dull and flat as hell". I was the audiophile kid who had the best turntable, cartridge, reciever and speakers. I used to tweek the treble and bass knobs(most receivers of that era had only that) to give it the "smile" EQ.  No whine in either headphones or speakers. Skip forward to 1981. I met a dude, one of maybe 4 people I've met in my lifetime who actually HAD a MO album.....prob. Tubular Bells 1973. An amateur producer/keyboard/engineer guy.  Anyway, he had a studio with some synths of that era, but a nice equalizer, Tascam Multitrack, DBX compander, analog reverb(I forget which manufacturer) and other goodies. One day, I brought Incantations over and he said "Yes it's dull, too flat, little dynamic range". But neither of us ever noticed "whining". So we made a fun 2 hours out of him running the 2 LP's thru some EQ and DBX expander, plus a tiny bit of reverb(basically what the WOW effect on Windows Media Player does all these years later)........and I had a blank 90min cassette to put it on. Oh I was in heaven!! Suddenly the recording was like.....being in the studio while Incantations was mixed down. Still, no comments from either of us on "whining". Skip to the late 1990's. That cassette long ago dissapeared. Jim is in his "Cripes I gotta replace those MO and Genesis LP's with CD's!" So I get Incantations on a CD. I find it not on Virgin label but "Caroline Blue Plate" label. It is just like the LP except "tweeked" somewhat as we did in the studio in 1981. No "whining"....headphones or speakers. I'm impressed, I'm happy. I grow bored of it and the CD is in some box somewhere today. Or destroyed, I sure hope not. Skip to the 21st century. Jim pirates files off the internet. One of these is many incarnations of Incantations. One file being 3-4 days ago. No whining. I enjoyed it a lot. And don't go saying "Jim is 46, he may have hearing loss".  True I've abused my ears with drum machines, gits and synths, but in 1978 they were Virgin ears(pardon the pun). I think you guys are listening to an over-Aphexed CD re-master that got f&*^ed up in the process. Tell ya what. It may not be soon, my US copy of Incantations(1978LP) is so buried in my closet, it may take time to find. But I'll do as I did with the Hergest Ridge Porky Cut no-remix soon and put it on Rapidshare as before. No EQ. No FX. But I'll run it thru de-click software. I'm sure after 30 years it will need it. There never was any whine. Maybe tape hiss, but no whine. Check back in a week or so, buy me a brewsky if I'm right. Yeah right! 2000 miles away. Austin may be a music capital of the world, but you go out into the street yelling "Music of the Spheres is out!!", you probably will get your ass kicked hard. This aint no London, This aint no Ibiza, This aint no dream, babe.
                           Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:00

Jim, you have no idea how jealous I am that you don't hear it-I'm 46, too.  I would SO love to NOT hear it.  If you were able to post the LP files up on Rapidshare that would be AWESOME.  Or if you were able to track down the Caroline CD and post that-man, that would be sweet!

God, I remember the DBX Expanders!  They were so cool.  The late 70's was such an exciting time to be an audiophile.  Do you remember elcassettes?

If you say your Caroline "Incantations" is buried somewhere, then do I understand you correctly that you're currently listening to it on one of the Virgin editions?

You've inspired me to now go hunting for the Caroline CD on Soulseek.  Maybe... maybe...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:03

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 18 2008, 14:12)
This aint no London, This aint no Ibiza, This aint no dream, babe.

THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:59

I asked nicely once. Please post replies in the discussion they relate to, not in an unrelated topic and not in a new one, otherwise it becomes confusing for everyone.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 18 2008, 14:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net