Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thinking of you in the UK and Europe, Take care and keep safe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:29

Snow melting here also,and now we`ve some sort of mizzley/sea fret thing swirling around.I love rain me..Snow set to return in feb so they say...Gerrin!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:39

Doing nothing much down here.Very grey sky though.They forecast snow tonight.Bugger that.I want to go to the local jam and i am damned if a bit of snow will stop me!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:40

Matt - that's a good first draft - thanks.

Here we have a cold wind chill this morning - the snow remains thick, but definately wetter - that's a good sign.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 05:09

Just come back from walking the little one to school there,and it`s difficult to tell what there is more of now..Snow or dog crap??? Obviously there`s some kind of bi-law that I`m completely unaware of that when there`s snow on the ground you don`t have to pick it up.  :/  "Pure white snow,hides all"

And speaking of crap,I`m watching the news the other evening when it was still snowing like holy hell.And some government guy comes on with that age old chestnut "don`t go out on the roads unless your journey is absolutely neccesary" Which is then immediately followed by a story about refuse(our bin has`nt been emptied for three weeks for instance because the wagon can`t get down the street here) So yeah some council dude chimes in "we advise that you take your rubbish up to the tip yourselves if need be" So what,I`m supposed to wheel the bloody bin up myself on foot am I? Unless of course you`d class that as a neccesary life or death journey maybe? Personaly I think given the circumstances at the time what they should`ve said was "We`re giving everybody free reign to set all their rubbish on fire in their back gardens for the next few days" And then like a little governmental health and safety film of course after it, telling you how to make sure you don`t set your whole neighbourhood ablaze.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 05:28

Three weeks without a garbo! Thats really unacceptable! Surely councils can organise some limited collections? Despite the cold its a health hazard. Next they will be complaining about people becoming ill! I really do feel for you all. You have toughed it out and must be sick to death with it all. Hope its sorted soon. The heat here in OZ is causing problems as well. Even here in Tassie. I reckon climate change is legitimate, extremes of temperature are indicative of this. We will have to adapt somehow.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 07:01

Regarding the dog poo issue i have to agree.Since it's now illegal to let your dog do it's business without picking it up then it is illegal whatever the weather.Do people think that because it's snowed then they are exempt from this law?If there is a by-law Dirk then i haven't heard of it!
 The snow's really starting to piss me off.The whole country's FUBAR'ed cos of it.Councils aren't gritting the roads cos they claim they have to prioritise main roads and they are all short of grit.Fine but you go 15-20 miles uo the road into the next county and the gritters have been out and it's all fine there.Bloody postcode lottery time again!
 To be honest though the UK did used to have snow much more reguarly and people seemed to just get on with it.I wasn't around for the great snow of 63 we hear so much about but i do remember 81.Didn't really affect me much other than the usual kids fascination and a few days off school and my Dad hadn't learnt to drive yet.We got stuck on the way to Devon at Bristol but we still got there!
 I know i sound like an old fart (hey i'm 35 next week so i'm allowed)but this country has become f***ing soft!
Give me heat over cold anyday.Fancy swapping for a few months.May have been born in the winter but i hate it with a passion. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 20:07

LOL Caveman! I don't think I would survive an English winter! You are welcome to visit. Tassie winters are very cold with minimum temp of 7 to 8 degrees from July to September. Short period but damn cold and miserable then. At least its a half decent summer so far, with periods of scorching heat followed by much cooler days unlike the mainland which can have weeks of temps above 33 degrees. Hope the cold snap is over soon. Its about 17 degrees here and raining after days of 36 degrees! Typical Tassie weather!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 02:59

Try -15 which we had last week!Colder than the South Pole apparently.Snow again today.Not as heavy as last week but plenty of it overnight.Not typical English weather. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 03:33

Whoa!! - black ice treacherous this morning - watch out. :O

When I wound the car window down a full sheet of ice came crashing in - thought it was the window.  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 03:45

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 13 2010, 08:33)
Whoa!! - black ice treacherous this morning - watch out. :O

When I wound the car window down a full sheet of ice came crashing in - thought it was the window.  :O

:laugh: Yeah that`s happened to me before,scared the hell out of me.No snow up here but real brass monkey stuff this morning.Think I might make some soup,with double cream and everything..Bin`s still not been emptied looks like I`m going to the tip first.I`ve still got bags with Christmas wrapping paper in them man.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 03:58

Send some soup down this way mate as long as it's veggie.Bloody horrible day.Bus was running (hence my writing) but doubt we'll go the distance as it's still coming down.Already been a couple of accidents in the villages.You know there was a mini ice-age in victorian times?That's why we have this romantic view from xmas cards of people riding round in horse drawn sleighs and frozen lakes.It's just like that here at the moment.Some spectacuarly stupid people have been running across the canal.Silly buggers.If itn cracks they's frankly screwed.If the cold don't get em the pollution will!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 04:44

Yeah it`s gonna` be veggie mate carrots,onions,spuds,peppers and the food of kings...turnip.  :p So sounds like you might get sent home again,best of luck with that one.Either way hope you get back home ok.I`m reliably informed by my good friend the lollipop lady,that snow is forecast here for later as well.I`m pretty fed up with it now mind,I must admit.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 04:48

Minus 15 degrees, real scarf around the nose weather (prevents mucous stalagtites). And scarf over mouth (prevents frost bite of the lips and tongue). Jeez Im shiivvverring now! Kick the dog poo into the owners yard (if you know the dog and owner). Nothing worse than walking around all day wondering what that stink is....till you look at the sole of your shoe....thats the smell of PEW, DOGGIE DO! Keep smiling tubes
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 05:54

I like the snowman DStar.  We have lots of snow here in Portsmouth.  And I tell you something I have a love hate relationship with it.  Today I am bored and hating the weather and wondering what the blazes am I going to do this year. What can I achieve or do and am I ever going to get a job.  And for the most part will I ever be happy and content.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 06:37

Hi Sylver, I hope this will be a better year for you. Its hard living from one day to the next wondering how the bills will be paid and just being able to eat a meal with meat in it, not curry. I found it really tough getting in to a job after years at UNI, even with four degrees. Nursing was my first career, but after 20 years was forced to resign thanks to a severe medical condition. That was the end of a lovely career, found it hard to adjust. Sylver keep thinking positive and remember you have friends here.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 06:44

Old Patchy`s looking a little worse for wear now Silver,he`s just a big pile of mush with a hat on top.I`m the same when it comes to snow as well love messing about in it with the kids and the dog.Hate driving,walking around in it.Even the dog`s starting to get frostbite on her paws now,I`ve had to start putting cream on her feet poor girl.Best of luck with the new year and the job hunting Silver.Maybe it`ll just take one thing such as a new job perhaps,to trigger off that happiness.You never know what`s round the corner?Just this week for instance I found out that my wife is double-jointed.Her Doctor told her after after a physio exam.Almost 20 years we`ve been together,and only now do I find out that all that weird stuff IS possible after all.I`ve got a fair bit of limbering up to do.

@ Ex,Caveman..I tell you what it is with the dog crap imo,it`s the bags.People can`t open the bags with their gloves on,or their hands are too numb from the cold so it`s too much of a hassle.It`s just pure laziness really and nothing else.You`ve just got to perservere a bit.Plus when you do finaly pick it up most of it turns out to be snow anyway.You know it`s actualy far easier in some repects.It`s a complete epidemic round here though,it`s like a turd mindfield just crossing the road and back.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 07:28

Snow is melting here in Colchester,at least my exams haven't been postponed,which I was sooo worried about.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 12:06

The hard rain on the windscreen today never sounded so good.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
57 replies since Dec. 23 2009, 02:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net