Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thinking of you in the UK and Europe, Take care and keep safe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 17:59

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 06 2010, 14:24)
His design teacher usauly looks like an extra from the Technicolour Dreamcoat as it is.

What are you referring to, Dirk? I vaguely seem to remember a title with "Dreamcoat" in it. Was it a film? Regarding the way kids dress themselves at school, here we have no fixed code - they can wear anything they like as long as it's not indecent... that is, somehow offending to what is known here as "common sense of decency". :)

Where I am, there's no rain and no snow. Just lots of awful fog, which at night it makes you not see anything past the end of your nose. But the schools are open... today's my first day after the holidays. Even those (the holidays, I mean) weren't great from a purely meteorological point of view... I had some sort of fastidious drizzle pretty much every day, and it was really cold. But I played a lot, so I kind-of forgot about it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 18:56

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 06 2010, 17:59)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 06 2010, 14:24)
His design teacher usauly looks like an extra from the Technicolour Dreamcoat as it is.

What are you referring to, Dirk? I vaguely seem to remember a title with "Dreamcoat" in it. Was it a film? Regarding the way kids dress themselves at school, here we have no fixed code - they can wear anything they like as long as it's not indecent... that is, somehow offending to what is known here as "common sense of decency". :)

Where I am, there's no rain and no snow. Just lots of awful fog, which at night it makes you not see anything past the end of your nose. But the schools are open... today's my first day after the holidays. Even those (the holidays, I mean) weren't great from a purely meteorological point of view... I had some sort of fastidious drizzle pretty much every day, and it was really cold. But I played a lot, so I kind-of forgot about it. :)

Presumably Dirk was referring to Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat,which predated [JC (that's Jesus Christ, not Jenny Craig) Superstar. Its most well-known song is "Any Dream Will Do".

As for weather, it's been hot here in Western Australia. I couldn't help laughing when the Copenhagen summit on global warming was on, and snow was bucketing down on half of Europe!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 03:42

@ Ugo..The dress code in your school sounds much the same as it used to be over here i.e. Teachers and parents alike were allowed to apply common sense,simple as that.Nowadays it`s almost like army drill getting them ready for school in the morning.Even my eldest`s school tie for instance has got to have exactly 13 stripes showing from the knot to the end,that`s how ridiculous it`s become.His school has actualy reponed this morning even though most of them are still shut.He`s currently on the XBox and going nowhere.If he`s not allowed to go to school wearing sensible footwear in the current conditions without being reprimanded,then he ain`t going in.The way this snow keeps on falling he might get back just before the summer holidays.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 06:16

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 07 2010, 03:42)
He`s currently on the XBox and going nowhere.

"and going nowhere..." reminds me of the  Peter Kay - Biscuits sketch - when he dips the Hobnob biscuit in his tea - "I'm going nowhere me son" :D

Schools still closed here. :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 06:36

Was off yesterday as we couldn't get to work.North Oxfordshire got loads of snow.Back today though.Shame.Still more snow forecast for Sunday and Monday.No decent snow for 18 years then 2 serious amounts in a year!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 06:47

Strange thing was i listened to Instructions For Angels while trudging about in it and it seemed to fit quite well.Anyone else have any 'snow music preferences'?

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 08:05

@Wiga Yeah I remember I linked that clip for Sweetpea on here once and she seemed to like it.It must be ingrained into my northern self uppity sub-conscious or something...I don`t know,in all seriousness you kind of want your kids to respect both parents and teachers.I dare say I`ll keep him off tomorrow and send him back next week regardless.I don`t want to start being as petty as them.

@Caveman,your absence was noted here yesterday dear fellow don`t worry about it.34 mile round trip for me to get to work and back,and we`ve got enough snow up here to re-build the ice-caps..Not that I`m insinuating anything by that of course..      ;) Seriously though I did see Banbury & Oxfordshire on the news yesterday and it looked pretty bad...For the south (heh heh) There was a fair few people off work at my place last night mind.And I dare say if this keeps up I`ll have no choice but to give it a miss myself.I had to help push three people out the street last night,before I could even begin to get out myself.And then after that it was pretty much a 30mph white knuckle ride all the way in.My worst fear is actualy been stuck at bloody work and unable to get back home.I think I`d rather sit in the car and freeze to death than suffer that fate.

Anyway driving home this morning I had Rodrigo Y Gabriela playing and their album 11:11.I saw them for the first time on Jools Holland`s Hootenanny show,and I could`nt believe I`d never heard of them before.They`re an instrumental latin/flamenco/acoustic duo,who are kind of a cross between Al Di Meola,Carlos Santana and Metallica amongst other influences.Their tunes are highly infectious though,not too mention an amazing display of virtuosity.A perfect tonic for this cold weather.Although on the downside due to the trecherous conditions you do have to watch your speed a little bit while you`re driving along to it.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela   Atman
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 08:19

It's bad for the south as you say.Bugger all to people oop north but then to me anything north of brum is t'frozen North!
 The problem with Banbury is all the major roads out are uphill as Banbury's in a valley.We do have the M40 now which has made it easier for truck drivers as they always got stuck but no good if where you need to get to isn't anywhere near a junction.Work for me is about 5 miles out of Banbury and pretty much all uphill till you reach the top of the valley.If the buses ain't running then i'm staying put and enjoying a day off! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 16:46

This pic is impressive really:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm

Meanwhile,no snow,just sun in the Bahamas for Mike and his family  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 01:49

Me and the wife certainly chose the wrong year to move out in the country. We had 9 degrees celcius in our kitchen this morning and visitors have to wade through snow to reach our house. I'm so happy we bought a jeep in october. People are skiing in the fields outside our hose which is kind of cosy.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 03:40

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 07 2010, 21:46)
This pic is impressive really:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm

Meanwhile,no snow,just sun in the Bahamas for Mike and his family  :cool:

Great photograph..I can see some green bits in soutnern Ireland though,and parts of the Hebridies,Mull Of Kintyre of all places.See it ain`t all bad..  :/ Tempratures in the Highlands recorded at -21c last night,which is 1 degree away from the South Pole apparently.  Currently -13 at the moment here,practicaly sub-tropical by comparison.I went out for a smoke break last night at 4 o`clock and it was -19 according to my mobile.I wonder if old Scott of The Antarctic`s mate had to venture out of his tent for a tab.. "I`m going outside,but I probably wont be that long as it looks to be rather chilly out there"

We`ve got another barrage of snow forecast here for about teatime,and I`m supposed to go back to work for 7p.m. and finish at 1 in the morning.You`d have to be absolutely stark raving bonkers to even attempt to go in...I hav`nt decided yet.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 04:06

This snow, I assume the whole of europe is getting the same type - yesterday, after a 40 mile drive, including some at 70 mph (on cleared motorway) - I still had 4 inches on top of the roof - grippy bloody stuff!

Dirk - as far as teachers go, deciphering the jerks from the decent ones, and we've all been there, I guess it's all part of their education. The jerks use the rule book for the purpose of putting kids down and in their place, like you get these types everywhere in life. They shouldn't be teachers, but they're attracted to the job. There's probably too many of them in British schools, but like diamonds in the rough the decent ones know how how to treat kids, and get their respect.

The school is open today. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 04:39

Briliant picture.Must admit it's made the bus ride out her much nicer.We pass through some beautiful countryside on the way out with some great views across the Cherwell Valley.Really picture book stuff with all the snow.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 05:07

Agree with you there Wiga,and there are some good teachers at our Daniel`s school.My friend`s daughter actualy teaches there,so I dare say word will get back to her one way or another of my feeling`s about the situation.

Still snow on the roof of my car as well,although I hav`nt been anywhere close to 70mph in weeks.I could`nt even see the motorway last night,I was just kind of guessing where I was supposed to be...Back at home probably. One of the worst stretches is the steep incline downhill going past The Angel Of The North Where the night before last over a dozen lorries jack-knifed.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 06:38

Evidently this is the coldest winter in Europe since 1981! I have seen footage and Tati's photo, spectacular scenery!    @Dirk, I know how you feel about your son's school dress code. At times protocols defy belief! My daughter went through a fair bit at the Catholic school she went to. Private schools here are expensive but public schools lack funding and are unable to retain good teachers. @Mike and family chose to move to the Bahamas in the nick of time. Every day is paradise there! Maybe Mike might choose to take retirement, he has worked since his teens, and if anyone deserves to relax its Mike! Plus he has 2 very healthy active boys and Im sure Fanny appreciates Mike being there for them instead of working all hours. Please keep warm tubies! Beanies, mittens, scarves and snow boots!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 21:56

Yeah you`ve got to envy Mike in this weather.I`ve been in from work for over an hour now and I`ve still got me coat and scarf on.And I have to add we`ve got a pretty warm house here in general compared to a lot of people I know.Snowing like hell at the moment again,and has been for about 5-6 hours.I`m just pleased that at least my working week is over for a couple of days of restbite.

On the plus side of course British people love nothing better than to moan about the weather,so in some ways we`ve never had it so good as old whatsisface would say.You know you end up talking to complete strangers on the street about their experiences etc.Helping each other to clear paths,push cars etc.It kind of brings people together in a lot of respects.I`ve actualy talked to a couple of people in my own street this week,who I did`nt even know at all previously.And this is quite an old fashioned little community,in that a lot of people do know each other anyway.As wiga said earlier in this thread though it`s an absolute fact..we don`t know what to do.We`re running out of grit rapidly,but hardly anybody ever thinks about putting on a set of snow tyres for instance.Or even just something as simple as carrying a shovel around in your car,so you can at least dig your way back out when you need to.We just kind of hope a little extra care and lady luck is gonna` help us muddle our way through it all.Unfortunatly for the forseeable future it looks like it`s going to get a lot worse before it starts to get better.And I hate to think what`s gonna` happen if it decides to start pissing down with rain for any great length of time...Anyway some more appropriate music..

Vangelis Memories Of Greeen
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 07:11

Moaning about the weather's a national passtime.It's what we 'whinging Poms' do best!
 The problem with this country is we are so unprepared for this sort of thing.Rain?No sweat as long as it doesn't flood (and Banbury knows all about flooding) and heat as long as the tarmac doesn't melt!Snow we're completely buggered with!
I had to miss my weekly jazz jam last night.Not that i'm a jazzer but as a training excercise it's good to learn.
 If it rains the country will become one big ice rink as most of the councils seem to be almost out of grit and salt.I think it was Yarmouth that have started taking sand off the beach.Good plan for those by the sea but if,like me,you live miles from the coast we're all gonna get stuck!

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 15:30

The snow here is bad again and just seems to keep coming down. I'm fed up and considering legal action.

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 17:17

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 11 2010, 20:30)
The snow here is bad again and just seems to keep coming down. I'm fed up and considering legal action.

"legal action"?

Dear Earth,

due to recent health and safety legislation you are no longer permitted to snow without a "snow permit". You may apply for this from the local authority but will have to undergo courses in "How to snow safely", "The legal implications of snow" and "Snowmen, EU compliant carrots and sexism in the 21st century".

Please be aware that failure to comply with this legislation may result in legal action against you.

Yours legislatively

Earth Citizens

Ok, wiga, I'm joking ;) Snow starting to melt up in bonny Scotland.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 22:38

Its a long cold snap there, you seem to be handling it well. Hats off to you all, true British spirit! It can't last much longer surely. Hoping you and your loved ones are safe, warm and in good spirits. Best wishes from OZ
Profile PM 
57 replies since Dec. 23 2009, 02:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net