Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thinking of you in the UK and Europe, Take care and keep safe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 02:25

Hi, I have seen the damage caused by the severe snow storms in the UK and Europe. Thinking of you and hope you and your loved ones are safe and have a Merry Christmas. Hopefully it will not be so bad on Christmas Day! Cheers
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 04:04

Well it has`nt snowed here in north east England for a couple of days now.But because it`s been so cold everything is still absolutely covered,and more snow is forecast.Luckily for me I`m on holiday with the kids,and we`ve got a great big field outside our front door which along with the trees looks beautiful.We kind of go outside for a bit do some sledging and snowballing.The dog absolutely loves it as well I must add.And then we come back in,warm up for a bit and then repeat the process.I did have to go out shopping in the car last night mind you and it took me forever just to get out the bloody estate.You gotta` feel for those who still have loads of Christmas stuff to do.And for those who`ve still got to work of course.My dad used to work in a power station,and he frequently had to work on Christmas day.

The problem over here is when we get anything more than 2-3 inches of snow on something close to a nationwide scale,we`re just not prepared for it.Not enough gritters,and snow ploughs for a start.Plus you still get people driving around on the roads like everything is still normal.In fact speaking of people thinking everything`s still normal.My daughter dropped in yesterday morning,on her way home from a night out wearing a short dress and slingback sandals.So she`s standing there at the door with snow all over her practicaly bare feet.."Can I borrow a pair of me mum`s boots" ? She asks "Are you clinicaly insane" ! I replied.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 04:22

And all the lads will be out on xmas eve in short sleeve shirts ready to fill up on lager!Sod that for a lark.Four layers minimal and if i go out at all it will be to a nice little pub in town for a few pints of good old room temperature real ale.
 The snow's not been as bad down here.Had a fresh bit every night more or less since last thursday night but nothing really heavy that's settled.Wish i could say the same about the roads though.The main roads out of Banbury aren't bad but the residential areas are like ice rinks!Still hoping for a white christmas for my kids though.Last one i remeber was 1979!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 04:46

Best of luck if youre up in the Cotswolds..!!   Ainnt they Spoiled "Fish Hill" now they straightened it out a bit... Was always great Fun coming down that in the Ice into Broadway.
White over here but no thick Snow in Worcestershire.. Just Loads of Ice everywhere specially on the Pavements into Town... Cheers !!  Guess the Council guys wont venture out as it might compromise there Health & Safety.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 04:49

Keep warm and throw a snowball or two for me! The kids will be able to build a snow man! Post a pic of your family enjoying a White Christmas
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 04:57

I consider myself as a lucky person,since I could fly from London Stansted to Cologne/Bonn airport here in Germany yesterday,where I'm going to spend Xmas...I saw many people waiting for hours and hours to fly,some flights have been cancelled and people lost their Xmas vacations :(

I don't know what is worse...floods x lots of snow...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 11:28

:D Don't take Eurostar train ( under Channel )from Paris to London ! It's a pure Frenchie/Frogies disaster !  :D

It's totally normal ! This is a simple angry from the Earth to Humans , a warning to us after the disaster of Copenhagen Summit .
One day next we will have to pay the bill for that .

It reminds me of the movie : The Day After Tomorrow
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 11:33

That's more like traditional English xmas weather.It's now p*ssing it down with rain! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 20:17

I saw where the Eurostar was stranded in the middle of the Channel Tunnel. Power went off on board and passengers had no air con or heating! Be a bit scary being at the bottom of the Channel eh! You are all of good cheer despite the snow and ice! Thats real British "lets get on with things"  I like that about you Brits! The Copenhagen Summit was doomed to fail! Wealthy countries have to support and improve third world countries carbon footprint through clean green forms of power. Not going to be cheap or easy. You could say the Summit was a bag of hot air! The pollies flying in and their stay alone would generate enough power to sustain a city LOL! Merry Christmas one and all!
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 05:40

Quote (ex member 419 @ Dec. 24 2009, 01:17)
Wealthy countries have to support and improve third world countries carbon footprint through clean green forms of power.

The US pollutes more than several third world countries,but they do not admit that and blames the others :(

In Brazil we have been using ethanol as a fuel since the late 70's,and it does pollute less than petrol...we even have duo-fuel cars(the tech is 100% brazilian) that you can use both petrol and/or ethanol  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 12:11

:/ This is used a lot in France too ( and really near from where i live ) but sorry Tati , ethanol is not the real good solution ! Because this cultivation ( don't know if it's the right word for that ) uses a lot of water and you need ( and this is the Brazilian/Amazonia great problem ) to make a lot of deforestation to do this cultivation .

Hope you'll see what i mean.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 16:25

I totally agree with my French friend!
;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 17:07

La nature reprend toujours ses droits !
Nature always reclaims its rights !
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 17:54

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Dec. 24 2009, 17:11)
:/ This is used a lot in France too ( and really near from where i live ) but sorry Tati , ethanol is not the real good solution ! Because this cultivation ( don't know if it's the right word for that ) uses a lot of water and you need ( and this is the Brazilian/Amazonia great problem ) to make a lot of deforestation to do this cultivation .

Hope you'll see what i mean.

We Brazilians do not harvest sugar cane on Amazon rainforest (it's impossible to do it so)and we do have plenty of water in my country and we know how to cultivate suff by not using a lot of water.

But if we all don't care about our planet,our fate is not to be good at all...the problem is on our silly politictians out there!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2009, 20:43

:( I've heard on radio , after Copenhagen summit , a member of Greenpeace saying : " if we can't change the policy , then we will change the politicians "
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2009, 01:45

Christmas Day is ending here and its almost morning in the UK, Europe and the USA. Have a happy day my friends in the northern hemisphere and across the globe! Merry Christmas!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 05:04

Well slowly but surely the whole country is grinding to a snowbound halt it seems.Took me the best part of an hour and a half to do a 20 minute drive this morning,coming home from work.And I passed so many cars abandoned by the roadside it was unreal.At least I made it home.Most of the schools round here are now closed,so the kids are out enjoying it at least.I made my eldest wear his boots to school on tuesday in the snow,and they put him on report card because he was`nt dressed in proper "school shoes" attire.What a load of absolute shite.It`s just as well his school is closed today as I had half a mind to go up there and scrub his headmaster`s face in the snow,and then iceball his bloody car.Normaly I would`ve just chucked snowballs at him,but I was too wound up for that..."There`s frickin six inches of snow out there man,and you`re worried about proper school attire??..You should be thankful I did`nt send him in,in a spacesuit" Aaaarrrgghhh!

Anyway enough of that here`s Patchy The Snowman..      :p

[/url][/IMG]
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 05:57

Snowy Colchester at the moment...while back home in Brazil we have heavy rainy Sao Paulo...

Dunno what is worse.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 07:38

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 06 2010, 05:04)
I made my eldest wear his boots to school on tuesday in the snow,and they put him on report card because he was`nt dressed in proper "school shoes" attire.What a load of absolute shite.It`s just as well his school is closed today as I had half a mind to go up there and scrub his headmaster`s face in the snow,and then iceball his bloody car.Normaly I would`ve just chucked snowballs at him,but I was too wound up for that..."There`s frickin six inches of snow out there man,and you`re worried about proper school attire??..You should be thankful I did`nt send him in,in a spacesuit" Aaaarrrgghhh!

Dirk - I feel your pain with your 'job's worth' teacher!

We have a similar shoe attire doctrine here - shoes must be completely black and the tiniest thread of colour has to be black markered over, and any transgressions are vigorously monitored and dealt with accordingly harshly, with the fear of God!

Monday the school was closed - not because of snow but because it was deemed too icy under-foot, on their premises. Then they opened it yesterday despite snowfall like you wouldn't believe, and closed again today. :/

Yes, things have pretty much ground to a halt here too - the British just get confused and don't know what to do. :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 08:24

What makes it worse Wiga is that a number of the girls are allowed to wander around in Ugg Boots,which are really great in the snow I`m guessing.Not to mention they`re complete fashion vomit anyway.I don`t know back in my day we were allowed to wear 18 hole Dr Marten`s right up to your armpits...Bah! The youngest is at least allowed to wear his wellingtons up to school,and then change when he gets there.But the eldest is not even allowed to do that,it`s a complete farce.I dare say there would have been plenty of his teachers all booted up for the elements.His design teacher usauly looks like an extra from the Technicolour Dreamcoat as it is.So she probably went kitted out in a pair of luminous purple waders or something...Where the hell is their uniform that`s what I wanna` know??? It`s just as well I`m still not at school,there`d be a bloomin revolution I tell you.And I was one of the quiet kids. (they`re always the worst)     :p
Profile PM 
57 replies since Dec. 23 2009, 02:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net