Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Things in comon..., with J.M. Jarre< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2003, 04:51

I noticed throughout the years I listen to Mike and Jarre they have quite a lot of things in common.

- They both started more or less at the same time
- Their favourite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick rules! )
- They both mention each other from time to time
- They both used to listen a lot to The Shadows (and Jarre performed with Hank Marvin, and the Shadows covered "Moonlight Shadow; Mike covered the Shadows' "Wonderful Land" as we all know).

So, are their people here who feel the same? I'm sure there are more things in common, can't remember them now.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 13:14

And don't forget there's the big Arthur C Clarke connection aswell, he's a huge JMJ and Vangelis fan .

....And they both hate each other!!!! Well maybe hates to strong a word but Mike has certainly said he thinks Jarre's crap on more than one occation and I've heard Jarre being less than enthusiastic when speaking about Mike. Oh well clash of ego's and all that.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 14:06

Yes, that's the one I forgot! Arthur C. Clarke!!

I saw this similar topic on the jarre.net forum about Oldfield and Jarre. Somebody said Mike once said he thought Jarre made crap. I, however, never have read such article.

And Jarre is quite font of Mike. He said on a spanish newspaper: He is part of my generation and we started more or less at the same time. He follows his path, he doesn't care about trends. He is more involved in Celtic, folk and acoustic music. A kind of mix with electronic music.

And Mike once said he is quite envy of Jarre because of his big shows. So... don't about their true thoughts...

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 14:18

By the way, the one who I mentioned about the jarre.net forum is Guru Meditation, who I now welcome on this forum!! Welcome. :)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 14:23

It was an NME (British music newspaper) interview with Mike in 1989 where Mike said he thought both Jarre and Vangelis where crap. And again in 1992 on a UK radio show he said TB2 sounded more 'human' and more 'humorous' than JMJ. But as we all know Mike changes his opinion about most things quite often so you're right who knows what he thinks? But then again Mike says he rarely listens to anybody's music anyway.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 16:20

Quote (TOBY @ May 15 2003, 14:23)
But then again Mike says he rarely listens to anybody's music anyway.

Ha, I still don't believe that.
And about the similarities, by pure chance I put on Les Chants Magnetiques today. Took it off after half of side one. They've got very little in common musically, I'd say. (Though perhaps in the last years they've been moving closer together, or Mike has moved closer, don't know about JMJ.)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 18:39

Yeah I would kind of agree. They both write instrumental music but its poles apart in character and what you get from one you don't really get from the other, although as you say Holger perhaps their sound has moved a little closer together in recent years. Jarre does try to sound more dynamic and generaly writes very 'escapist' music but Mike's is way more warm and intimate which is why I much prefer him. I do think Mike's output in recent years has started to become much more escapist than certainly it used to be.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2003, 21:23

Well, I think JMJ wants to sound a bit more "human" too, with albums such as "Metamorphoses" and "Sessions 2000". Although I doubt if "human" is the correct word.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: May 17 2003, 01:51

Well, it's realtively easy to compare them - both are progressive musicians, but appart from that - not that similar.

And regarding who is more human - I think some people mix 'human' and 'personal'. Jarre's music I find very deeply moving and even religious on moments, but it is not personal at all. Except for that, Jarre's music is probabbly the most pure progressive music there is, sometimes being almost more music design then music in traditional sense.
Oldfield is usually more personal and he is not pure progressive - he adds many other elements to his music. He also less deals with 'music design' then Jarre, although he is great at it when he does it.

I am a great fan of both of them, and of Vangelis also (but only his past music - those two new albums are a great dissapointment to me).

Greetings
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 17 2003, 10:34

Yes, Jarre and Oldfield have very little in common, musically. Oldfield focuses in melodies, Jarre focuses in athmosphere. Actually, Jarre is a brilliant melody writer too (Equinoxe 5 has one of my favourite melodies ever), but he's unbeatable in creating athmospheres (at least, used to be, in his 'Oxygène / Equinioxe / Les Chants Magnètiques' era). Oldfield doesn't go much for sonic textures and athmospheres, rather in the instruments themselves and how they interact (Amarok, especially).

I didn't know Oldfield said Jarre is crap, but I don't care. Both Oldfield and Jarre are in my "favourite artists ever" mental list. And if Oldfield himself said TBII is more human and humourous than Jarre, I disagree completely.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 20 2003, 13:38

as the commercial radio says They are both playing New Age.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
stitchfan Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 08:22

Funny, I did not know about this!
[QUOTE]
His name is Stitch
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 15:23

they said this in polish radio....

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 28 2003, 12:54

Mike said in last's years chat on BBC Radio2:
Frank > Will you ever perform live with Jean Michel Jarre?
Mike > Yea, why not - my French isn't too bad :)

I really don't understand why people try to compare Mike with JMJ...they're SO different to me...JMJ is eletronic,Mike Oldfield is Mike Oldfield ;)

And when Mike says he never listen to other ppl's music...I really don't believe.But it's another of the classic Mike's personal marketing,which I love so much :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2003, 21:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 17 2003, 10:34)
Oldfield doesn't go much for sonic textures and athmospheres, rather in the instruments themselves and how they interact (Amarok, especially).

What about Enigmatism & Embers? I think they're wonderful examples how good Mike is in creating atmospheres!

Anyway, Mike, Jarre & Vangelis are my three favourite artists. :)

To me, musically the main common thing about them is their unique talent.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 05:39

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 28 2003, 12:54)
And when Mike says he never listen to other ppl's music...I really don't believe.

He's a closet Oasis fan, I tells you! :laugh:

Anyway, when Mike goes for something more athmospheric and soft, he's good, but unlike Jarre and Brian Eno, he's not focused in creating a sonic painting. Jarre always embellishes his melodies and synth loops with noises, sounds and effects that add to the image. Everything is very vivid (I'm thinking of Equinoxe specifically now). And there's Brian Eno's Another Green World, that's, in my opinion, the manual for creating sonic paintings. They are in a different area from Mike. Not that I'm putting Jarre and Eno in the same area - they are very different from each other, as well.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since May 15 2003, 04:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net