Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Thin Man' sold for more than 100M$...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 12:51

Excuse my ignorance of modern art, but so I just discovered how familiar this guy looks...
http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159576376
.. and it was up to Mike to really make him walk!
Profile PM WEB 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 14:01

Hope it's a good home.  The food at the last place was awful.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 17:37

Beat me to it a_r_shulz!

I was all set up with a witty post ready to go, and there was yours .

I wonder if anyone at the auction house knows how Mike included this in Maestro? Or if the new owner wanted to put a small fraction of the ridiculous price towards Mike? :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 17:42

Mike's virtual world in 3L has various references to modern artists. There are Daliphants, there are Magritte-like floating objects, and there's this. I think that all of the art references were deliberate, since the game itself is kind-of arty. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 19:31

I think about how Maestro was made and it must have taken months just developing background scenes let alone individual characters and themes. Not surprised at all. His video clips were spectacular esp futuristic ones. The computer he used must have been specially set up, or computers I should say. Its a shame it didn't sell well, I would rather play Maestro than playstation, no violence. The Thin Man character was a bit spooky.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 06:47

Quote (ex member 419 @ Feb. 05 2010, 19:31)
I would rather play Maestro than playstation, no violence. The Thin Man character was a bit spooky.

Tr3s Lunas has more obvious appeal than Maestro, but I find Maestro increasingly haunting. Despite all those vast open spaces, still everything seems to be "out of the corner of the eye":the jets in Desert White that are always at the periphery of vision; the gravitars hidden in their crystal pillars; the acrobat that swoops by before you get a good glimpse of it.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 05 2010, 12:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net