Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Year Without an April Fool< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 03 2009, 02:14

Having enjoyed previous jokes from the administration, I was saddened to see no April Fool's posting this year. Of course, I understand pranks must be pretty low on the priority list. Perhaps our benevolent oligarchy were too busy? Or, perhaps they didn't want to compete with Matt's "Pretend News" thread? In any case, cheers to the humor - past present and future!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 03 2009, 03:04

What?..So does that mean that this post here from Korgscrew was actualy 100% bona fide.Oh man a little piece of plastic in a bag,I can hardly wait.Just imagine if you`re lucky enough to get a piece with  "1973" written on it.Or "Bell" even..Those babies will be up on Ebay before you can say "Anorak Wannabe" you mark my words.And what about the potato? we need more info on that surely..Will it be cut into chips do you think?.Will the peelings be available also???..Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase Spud-U-Like.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 03 2009, 07:12

Lol.Spud-U-Like.Now there's a blast from the past! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2009, 11:16

It's empirical data only, but I bumped into an incredibly small number of April 1st jokes, and pretty much all of them were obvious to spot. The only one that really got me -- specific details aside -- was a joke that turned out not to be a joke.

The feeling that silly, pointless traditions are dying makes me happy. It's a sort of "natural selection" at work, and it makes me confident that nothing is forever and things change. Change is good.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 03 2009, 17:29

Change is good, come's in real handy for the snack and or Diet cherry cola drink type machine's.
Anyway, talking of humour, I once actually sunk my teeth into the arm of a clown and took a bite.
Strange thing was is did taste Funny.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 03 2009, 21:58

Yeah whatever happened to Spud-U-Like?Maybe they went the same way as all those all you can eat clown buffet places you used to see up and down the high street?   ;)

Call me old fashioned but back in the day if there`d been a Spud-U-Like next to the greaseist,mankiest chip shop you`d ever seen in your life.Then the "chippy" still would`ve won hands down every time for me.See sometimes things change and then quite unexpectadly they change back again...So in the 80` we had jacket potatos with cottage cheese on them or some such garbage.Then we had pasta being the "chips of the 90`s" or whatever.Which was a bit like saying.. "Take That are the new Beatles let`s all eat wallpaper paste"..And now what have we got?..Bloody Subway for crying out loud.What a load of pretentious bollocks that place is.I can remember when a subway was just somewhere where you did`nt want to be at night.Now I don`t want to be down there in the daytime either..."Just give us a sandwich man for God`s sake..Oh yeah and is there any chance I could get some chips with that "?..

Do you know what the job title is for a person who works in Subway?..A "Sandwich Artist"!! Jesus wept man you can barely imagine what the middle management must be like working at that place.I mean what the hell`s next you wonder?..Potato Engineers??...Kebab Surgeons???...By eck son,I didn`t even know what a kebab was when I were a lad.

Anyway April Fools Day,it`s a bit rubbish really is`nt it.You kind of get to the point with it where you think.."well I`m not going to even bother watching the news or reading the paper today cos it`ll be even more made up than what it normaly is"..That said I do quite like the ones that are blatantly obvious if you like.Because they kind of poke more fun out of the day itself I guess rather than some crappy attempt at hoodwinking somebody.Those are the best april fools I think.The more outragously daft the better imo.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 03 2009, 22:21

Subway in Brazil seems quite decent, I think. At least the food is edible -- by saying which I'm not being redundant, you bet.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2009, 20:42

I never realised Subway was so global.Maybe I`d like it better if it just had an underground following..(insert groan here)

Yeah it`s not really the food I have a problem with regarding Subway Sir M.It`s just all the other crap that goes with it that winds me up.It`s like learning a whole new language going into these places sometimes.You know instead of re-inventing stuff they just re-name everything,and make things purposefully confusing.So then when after your first few times of going in there and you begin to master the lingo.People kind of get hooked on it I think,like they`re "down with the kids" or something.Plus I don`t really like the fact that they`re all over the bloody place either.Like the sandwich version of Starbucks.Meanwhile more people work for minimum wage,and less people open up sandwich shops and coffee bars...And they don`t do chips.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 04 2009, 20:54

Is sayingwhich the same as sandwich in Rio.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 04 2009, 23:55

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 04 2009, 20:42)
Plus I don`t really like the fact that they`re all over the bloody place either.Like the sandwich version of Starbucks.Meanwhile more people work for minimum wage,and less people open up sandwich shops and coffee bars...

The evil side of Capitalism showing its face, there -- an important point. In here, Subway is still very, very young and fresh. Brazil has been absolutely dominated by McDonald's for a few decades already, to the point where "fast food" was 1-to-1 synonymous with McDonald's and vice versa and so on and so forth. It's at least nice to see some diversity, and even some national networks are growing a respectable competition. But then again, it's all fast food, innit? I'd rather have actual food -- and Subway at least is quite close to actual food. You can even see the ingredients!

We don't have that "lingo" problem, or at least I haven't perceived it. Probably because of the different language: they're pretty up-and-clear about what they're doing. At most you have a few fancy names and some names-in-English for the sauces and stuff, but McDonald's already has that stuff a-plenty, so I don't see what that issue is.

As for Starfucks, *shudder*. They opened their first store in the country last year, if I'm not mistaken, and they haven't arrived in my town yet. Thankfully. My lady and I are quite hooked on coffee, and I really appreciate the fact that each place is one place, one-of-its-own-kind, trying to outdo the others. I'd hate to see coffee transformed into that atrociously homogenic (like Björk would say it), lifeless product handled by a massive monolithic market-devouring corporation, in my very own hometown. We already have those Nescafe machines everywhere, which we unfortunately have to rely on in some occasions, and THAT is enough. No Starbucks here, please.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 07:56

Yeah it`s probably only simpletons such as myself who get confused when they go in there in all actuality.And it is better than McDonalds I have to admit.Although I must confess I quite like Burger King.Same "lingo" problems though.Luckily I have a wife to explain things to me and order stuff.."What`s the biggest thing I can have for the least amount of money"?

I'd hate to see coffee transformed into that atrociously homogenic (like Björk would say it), lifeless product handled by a massive monolithic market-devouring corporation, in my very own hometown. We already have those Nescafe machines everywhere, which we unfortunately have to rely on in some occasions, and THAT is enough. No Starbucks here, please.

Nescafe in Brazil,talk about "coals to Newcastle"..Yeah I agree with what you`re saying there entirely,and it makes the world a less interesting place I think.And as for Starbucks..Well maybe we could call that some kind of "un-natural selection"?  :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 05 2009, 23:47

Subway is ok, but it gets boring to me after awhile, even if I do have the bread, tomatoes, and cheese toasted. Subway @ Alexanderplatz in Berlin had more interesting options IIR than here. But...wherever they are, at least they consistently offer vegetarian food.  Burger King and MacDonald's both offer better vegetarian options in the UK. In the USA--at least in every MacDonald's I've been dragged into--you can only get a salad--probably with really old lettuce. Even their fries are cooked in natural beef flavoring and the same oil that is used to fry meat. Burger King does offer a veggie burger that isn't too bad. Starbuck's, arrggghhh.  Seems wildly over-priced to me, and next to impossible to get just plain, ordinary Chai tea! In all but two I've had to carefully explain that yes, I mean a cup of hot water and just a tea bag! How did we get on food??? <reads>

I once had a very funny food-related thing happen on an April Fool's Day. It involved a hospital library director and Indian food (my favorite cuisine). But not Mike Oldfield's music. Or did it? Could it? Hmm.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 00:37

McDonald's sucks. Subway rocks.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 01:37

Well I'm still star-struck on Starbucks. A bit pricey - but a good cup of coffee. For many years you could only get instant coffee in British cafes - so I feel blessed.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 06 2009, 18:08

Haven't ever had a cup of coffee, actually. A few weeks ago I was in Seattle at a conference and thought we were in the original Starbuck's (around the Pike Place Market)--but that was on the other side, apparently. Oh well....great market, btw.  There really is an art to tossing around fish. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 08:29

There's something going on?

I didn't spot anything on April 1st, but I'm getting a sense of some kind of haunting or "possession" of Tubular. net thing going on.   :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 07 2009, 10:53

That would be the pea soup we've been eating, wiga...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 16:34

Babybird - There's Something Going On

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 01:26

I hear that in scotland fried mars bars are popular, but do they taste ok? on coffee, cant beat your own cafe olait,from the coffee maker, real heart starter in the morning, deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 13:40

Oh I got an April fool. By the way, where are ya Deb? After the "MO creep" post you've been noticably absent. People are falling apart here, gone bonkers, arguing like hell with baseball bats without your womanly authoritativeness and presence and calming.  C'mon back. Mike has an aggressive tendency to "pinch" women as he walks by(a childhood thing-girls would go "OMMAGAWD" hence the album name, his way of repentance for this obsessive-compulsive action), if this is the case and he caused offense to you in the workplace, forgive him for he knows not what he does with no guitar to keep his hands busy.... So....Eddy started up his "gone-for-a-year" old anxiety seperation dealy and started shredding the carpet by the door entrance. The fools at Home Depot said the nails that came with this "metal carpet border", basically a long gold metal 3 inch by 5 feet affair would hammer straight into concrete. I said several times "no way metal nails can go into concrete". But they were persistant that they were right. I tried it and sure enough the nails crumpled like a wet taco once they hit concrete. I only destroyed three of about 10 nails. Then I had 4 nights off work. I go back to work last night, he "frays" the edges a little more. So I start thinking about a "quick fix" and nail the metal strip backwards into the "tack strip", a piece of wood along the edge of walls to hold carpet in place. It worked, fairly tightly. I don't know jack about the carpet trade (I hear skilled carpet layers can make good money) but tonight will tell the tale. Pretty clever huh? Keep yer fingers crossed Debbie!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
19 replies since April 03 2009, 02:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net