[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Wind Chimes... what a masterpiece!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hergest fridge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 12:55

Quote (Mesje @ July 08 2005, 21:08)
Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 25 2004, 01:26)
[OFF TOPIC]

I think that the worst song ever written by Mike is "In high places". I just think it's musically horrible - I've always hated that song and I think I always will.  :p IMHO Mike and Jon managed much better on "Shine".

UNBELIEVABLE!- IN HIGH PLACES CAN  BE played and LISTENED TO in HIGH PLACES as well as it CAN take you for a trip to the HIGHEST PLACES.
No, absolutely i DISagree with you- the emotion that is hidden in "In high places " struck me when I heard this for the very first time and still fills me with the purest essence of joy and life. It's masterpiece, real pearl, as well as The Lake, Saved By a Bell, Wind Chimes  and Jungle Gardenia and many many others - a bit aside MO's "mainstream"- are!!!!!!! :O  :laugh:  :D  :)

No sorry!The live version with maggie riley singing it,is much better than the john(tighted trousered,minnie mouse voiced)anderson. :)
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 22:00

The Wind Chimes is a masterpiece and the start of the style he fully developed with Amarok. Great great track !
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 14 2010, 01:07

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 25 2004, 10:26)
[OFF TOPIC]

I think that the worst song ever written by Mike is "In high places". I just think it's musically horrible - I've always hated that song and I think I always will.  :p IMHO Mike and Jon managed much better on "Shine".

Just out of interest Ugo 6 years later has your opinion changed :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 06:59

It's not quite the worst for me: I dislike "Family Man" and "Foreign Affair" more. "Family Man", apart from anything else, seems completely out of place on FMO - it really jars with Taurus 2, Mount Teidi, etc. It's like finding "Wake Up Jeff" on a Black Sabbath record.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 09:42

I really like the mix of pop songs and instrumentals, and I think especially FMO works well. Of course the contrast between Family Man and the long (decidedly uncommercial) intro to Orabidoo is baffling, but for me it just heighten the mystique that I feel surrounds the album's genesis.
There's a youtube clip somewhere of Mike and his group performing Mistake on a TV-show. Mike looks geniunely happy and enthusiastic about his newly written pop-song, and I think the poppier stuff he wrote in the early 80s sounds like he had a lot of fun doing it. The same kind of joy that oozes out of mid-period Beatles - it's pop, but it's all over the place (as McCartney described it "...and I don't care if you love me girl, I'm going Helter Skelter").

I can't say that music on the radio in 1982 generally sounded like Family Man (not to say that it couldn't have been played on the radio) but the first thing I thought when I heard Magic Touch and Islands the first time was "this sounds lke something you'd hear on the radio". So I don't think that Islands works in the way that FMO do as an album.

Oh, and on the subject of the Wind Chimes;
I think the Lake, Wind Chimes and Amarok are siblings. The small, bubbly 16th-notes motives. The melodies that are played quietly THEN LOUDER etc. There's also a pastoral, kind of cosy atmosphere to all these pieces that I find sort of off-putting compared to the harsh and aggressive aspects of the earlier instrumentals.
But the Wind Chimes is gorgeous in places. The section where Björn J:sons Linds plays the flute in great, so is the first time the "chanting" comes in, like a digitalized echo of Ommadawn. But I allways think the final five minutes is a yawn, but then I think the same of Amarok.
Oh, and the Wind Chimes part 1. That piece could be anyone.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 11 2010, 20:15

I haven't yet heard Wind Chimes, or Islands for now. I am still digesting Ommadawn, which I haven't previously owned. I am planning however to eventually accumulate all of Mike's discography. I will probably post again here in a couple years stating my opinion, so watch out future people to visit this site!

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 11 2010, 21:31

Quote (Incantations @ July 11 2010, 20:15)
I haven't yet heard Wind Chimes, or Islands for now. I am still digesting Ommadawn, which I haven't previously owned. I am planning however to eventually accumulate all of Mike's discography. I will probably post again here in a couple years stating my opinion, so watch out future people to visit this site!

You're in for a treat, Laddie (as Milamber might say)! Even the album's weakest spot, "Magic Touch", has useful insights into whether a relationship will be successful!  :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 05:41

Quote (nightspore @ July 11 2010, 21:31)
Even the album's weakest spot, "Magic Touch", has useful insights into whether a relationship will be successful!  :D

The album's weak spot is clearly Bonnie Tyler.   :p

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 08:18

Quote (familyjules @ July 12 2010, 05:41)
Even the album's weakest spot, "Magic Touch", has useful insights into whether a relationship will be successful!  :D

Jules

No, no, no. Her wracked, parched voice conjures up precisely the washed-up-on-a-desert-island feel.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 08:50

Quote (nightspore @ July 12 2010, 08:18)
No, no, no. Her wracked, parched voice conjures up precisely the washed-up-on-a-desert-island feel.

She does sound a bit washed-up!  :/

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 09:31

Jules

I agree with the "washed up" part.   :D

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 09:32

Quote (larstangmark @ July 12 2010, 08:50)

She does sound a bit washed-up!  :/

Damn, somebody beat me to it.   :zzz:

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 16:43

Anybody catch that Never Mind The Buzzcocks in 2007 when she was off-her-face on the grape-juice?

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 23:54

Quote (nightspore @ July 12 2010, 22:18)

Jules

The buckey-beaver who sang Earth moving would of have done a better job than Bonnie Dryler.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 13 2010, 18:48

Well, Jules, it seems that I may agree with you on something and strongly disagree on something else. I strongly disagree with you about Bonnie Tyler and "Islands". Her vocal performance to me is the absolute best vocal on the album, just above Max Bacon's excellent performance on "Magic Touch". "Islands" ìs my second-favourite song of all time, and I just can't imagine that song sung by anyone else. Even Barry Palmer's demo version, although it includes some very interesting passages, doesn't hold a candle to the final release.

@ milamber: sorry for the very belated reply... but no, it hasn't changed. I still think "In High Places" is musically horrible. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 03:14

This thread made me think - what if Kevin Ayers would have sung the whole album? A very amusing thought which lead to another thought - what if Kevin Ayers would have sung all Mike's vocal tracks?
Suddenly the otherwise horrible "Saved by a Bell" makes sense!  :laugh:

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 03:22

Thanks Ugo, I didn't think your opinion would of  have changed.
But you never know (I myself may even get in MOTS one day).
I prefer the live version of IHP ,you know the one  :D
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 03:26

Quote (larstangmark @ July 14 2010, 17:14)
This thread made me think - what if Kevin Ayers would have sung the whole album? A very amusing thought which lead to another thought - what if Kevin Ayers would have sung all Mike's vocal tracks?
Suddenly the otherwise horrible "Saved by a Bell" makes sense!  :laugh:

A 26 year mystery solved at last :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 04:08

Quote (larstangmark @ July 14 2010, 03:14)
This thread made me think - what if Kevin Ayers would have sung the whole album?

I wish he had.  I adore Flying Start and his vocal especially.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:08

@ milamber: if you refer to the one which is almost all music and no vocals and goes into "Étude" after a while, yes, I know what you're talking about, and I like it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
66 replies since Jan. 23 2004, 16:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net