Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Wind Chimes - (what do I do?!)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 19:54

You can always tell when I've bought a new MO album as you start to see posts in the respective forums

but not this time. I found an mp3 of The Wind Chimes - Parts One and Two on a Rare MO website (the one which has tracks off 'The Sorceror' - a rare 1993 album not publicly released). I don't know why the author's put it up on there. I thought the album 'Islands'is widely available and not rare at all

After listening to it three times I am now completly hooked on it. Even though it isn't as good as some of his pure acoustic recorded instrumentals and it has instruments that sound like a very cheap soundcard's FM synthesis sounds I am hooked on it. Even the 'mad' syncopated choir section

and the reason why I am writing this post is to ask for some advice. Downloading this mp3 is not legal is it? It's not like I don't know about mp3s, because I have lots of modern mainstream mp3s downloaded from napster. But with MO mp3s it is a different story. I am not a very knowledgable MO fanatic but somehow I don't like to get MO mp3s which are not rare tracks

I am finding it very very difficult to bring myself to delete this mp3 off my hard disk. It's like I can have the track that I would probably most enjoy from 'Islands' for free or pay £8.99 for the 'Islands' CD. At this stage where I haven't listned to barely any proper commercial songs by MO, but the long instrumentals I wouldn't prefer to get Islands just for the songs which I haven't heard

What should I do?? Try to delete the file and not have it to much in my mind so when I do get round to getting 'Islands' I'll listen to it again and it will jog my memory of it

or-

stick with the mp3, being only able to listen to it with a copy of the Amarok player section listing and trying to follow the sections this way. Leaving a gap in my hopefull MO record collection that's not very imperative that it's filled but it would be nice

-Thanks for your advice in advance
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2000, 04:36

Hi,
You sound loud and clear ! I agree, I don't like using, downloading or listening non rare tracks.

What would I do...
- I'll buy Islands :
- even if the whole album is not great as The Wind Chimes, some pop songs are good enough.
- Availibility : IMO, it's for the moment simpler to put a CD in a CD player, in a car, at home etc... than downloading a MP3 from your Home MP3 Player.
- Amarok Player : AP's WinAmp Plugin is not good as Amarok Player to follow section...
- Principles : As Fan, I couldn't stand having such a gap in my CDTheque. I'm so furstrated by missing HO !
- Material : A CD is much more beautiful than a file. A file is only a file. Not really exciting.

and-

I don't think it's important to keep or not to keep you're MP3 if you bought the CD. If it's too hard for you do press 'Del', don't do it ! Personnaly, all rare tracks I get are deleted as soon as I convert them in CDAudio (if possible).

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Rod Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2000, 10:27

Hey GMOVJ, why don't you have HO?? :-O
I couldn't believe it when I read that you don't have all of Mike's albums!

Cheers, Rod.

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-12-2000).]
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2000, 20:43

Who me?

Come on I've only been a fan since March 2000
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2000, 11:09

Rod very clearly wrote:

Hey GMOVJ, why don't you have HO??

Oh, so you weren't talking to me. It shows how tired I was as I didn't bother to read your message properly

But on the topic of this message, thanks. I've deleted the mp3. Now start replying to my other message. Some of you must know the answer.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2000, 15:40

Hi 2distorted,
I, too, think you should buy the CD.
Some ideas:
- I never thought of downloading MP3's of stuff that can also be bought on CD.
- Downloading MP3s is NOT free. You have to pay for online-time, energy, diskspace, CD-Rs, labels ... I think it will all add up to more trouble than just buying the CD.
- With the CD you also get the artwork, which IMHO belongs to the music.
- CD quality is better than MP3 (well, not much, but thinking of all the 'can you hear...'-discussions in these forums...)
- When I get 'completely hooked' on some piece of music (which doesn't happen very often), I know what to do: BUY IT!!!!!
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2000, 10:44

Originally posted by Rod:
Hey GMOVJ, why don't you have HO?? :-O
I couldn't believe it when I read that you don't have all of Mike's albums!

Yep, this is the unbelievable truth, oooooh lord ! Mea culpa !
I've got all CD except HO, I've got 15 or 16 Home made CD with rare tracks, HR, Boxed, Crises, FMO, Discrovery, The Complete, Islands, Episodes in vinyl, and I don't have HO... You can't imagine how sad am I. I explain why in the 'HO Forum', but in short : in France, HO is nearly rare... But this reply is out of topic. Sorry
Cheers and tubular respect to all, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2000, 20:30

2distorted,have you bought the CD? If not, do it as soon as you can. "Islands" (the title track, with Bonnie Tyler), is IMHO simply one of the greatest pop songs ever made...
[I also have an MP3 of the 12'' version of it and it's just as great!! smile]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ajf
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 09 2002, 13:13

GMOVJ,
Just a quick thought, I'm in Belgium and tend to order all my MO CDs via Amazon.co.uk - they have a good selection and shipping isn't as bad as getting stuff from the US.
Most of my MO stuff over the last year has come from there
8 replies since Aug. 01 2000, 19:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net