Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Wind Chimes - The Video, Who's seen it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bones Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 08:47

Having recently bought The Wind Chimes Video off Ebay, i was curious to see who else has seen it and what they thought of it?

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 10:10

strangely enough I've been following a bid on ebay for the Wind Chimes video... don't know whether to go for it or not, so I'd be interested in opinions too !

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 13:07

Well, it's interesting. It's not really the kind of thing I'd recommend to people who aren't fans of Mike's work, but it's fun to watch. In some ways, it's like a video version of Music VR - Mike's experiments with computer graphics and music. I personally find that the instrumental The Wind Chimes makes a lot more sense when seen with the video than it does on its own.

The standout track has to be Magic Touch, co-directed by Alex Proyas - it looks very stylish in comparison to the others, though Mike's contribution of something that looks rather like Bertie Bassett playing the drums nearly puts pay to that!

Also well worth a look are the additional promo videos on the video, including his two video singles, Shine (which puts an interesting spin on "she's my light"!) and Pictures in the Dark.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2004, 15:09

I also have this video, and i have to say that some of the music on the album is clarified by the video, also the inclusion of shine, and pictures in the dark are worth buying it for alone, as these are rare, but all in all i would have to say that this is prob the best MO video out of all of them, a whole album of music and vidoe plus other singles, something which is sadly lacking in future releases  :(

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 07 2004, 15:36

I have it too. At my copy the video of Moonlight Shadow isn't complete, it's something like an edited version (after the first chorus -that in fact is mixed with the second- jumps to the guitar solo, so most of the second part of the song is missing). Does it happen at your copies too? I would like to know :).

And don't you think that the Magic Touch version of the video is slightly different to the US and UK versions? Have you noticed that or it's me seeing (hearing) things?  :D

And as Korgscrew has said, there are things that reminds you the MusicVR project, that's why I think this is the start (and not the interactive track on TSODE) of all that PC game stuff. It's all connected with his desire of linking music with images. IMHO the difference is that then surely he did music first and then created the videos, and now, specially with Maestro, I think he has done it the other way round.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 26 2004, 20:50

Where can I bye it? Do anybody knows?
Im from norway.
I would love to see wind chimes video!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2004, 12:45

amazon.com
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2004, 01:13

Well, now that the Elements DVD is out, I finally got to see this one, and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. Not that I had expected anything spectacular, but upon watching The Wind Chimes for the first time (ok, yes, I've only watched it once yet) I found it to be just a lot of nothing. It didn't seem to make any sense at all, the images seem to be randomly chosen, they don't look too great by today's standards and actually not by '87 standards either, and the Bali footage doesn't blend with the computer stuff very well really. I can't say that seeing this added anything to the experience of the piece for me. Also the opening scene (Wind Chimes pt 1) is very static and drawn-out. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of reference to 2001 with those flying bones.

The other videos, well, Islands I knew already from the Elements VHS and I guess it's ok, looks pretty good. North Point, nothing special at all really. The time has come, pretty silly, randomly chosen Egyptian-style imagery which doesn't fit the lyrics at all. Flying Start, pretty silly, nothing special really. Magic Touch has to be the standout track as Korgscrew said, but boy, that "drummer" brings it down a notch at least.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2004, 18:37

Well, Holger and Mark, I suppose we have to remember that Mike, as ever, was more interested in the actual mechanics of video making at the time. He spent a lot of OUR hard earnt money on a quantel system to play with even before Top of The Pops had a chance to play silly buggers with Kate Bush.

I seem to recall an interview where he went on about how many times he could overlap images of Aled Jones, which makes me think he was more worried about the technical side than the actual artistic content.

We have to be gratefull that he still can/could produce such great musical compositions with only half a heart involved.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 22 2004, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net