Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Weather< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 06:40

This is just a spur of the moment thing, but what is Mike's obsession with the weather and/or shadows? (eg Sunlight Shining Through Cloud, Man in the Rain, Moonlight Shadow, Shadow On the Wall)
I know that the "traditional" line when stuck for conversation is to talk about the weather, but does this have anything to do with Mike's work? Is there some deep and hidden meaning to Mike's work that relates to the weather? After all, he did go "far above the clouds". Anyone got any ideas (however contrived they are?)

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 08:01

And look at the cover of Tubular Bells...
And Five Miles Out...

But I think that really comes from Mike's 'obsession' with nature.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 00:10

I would imagine that it relates, at least partly, to the sort of emotions people feel during different weather conditions...(what I'm about to say might seem obvious to some if not all people...I don't mean to be patronising, honest smile )

Rain is often seen as a bit depressing...it can be other things as well - there's a cleansing and uplifting side to rain as well. If you're out in rain, you can be pretty helpless against it, if there's no shelter and you don't have anything to keep it off (jacket, umbrella, etc) - it just falls on you. Sunlight shining through the cloud - like good things happening after bad times.
Shadows are dark and also threatening - think of the idea of the child scared at night by shadows in the bedroom that seem to be something other than what they really are. But with Shadow on the Wall, it seems that the shadow represents something that isn't important, that maybe doesn't really exsist. Not human - just a shadow on the wall (and a shadow is 2 dimensional, and almost featureless). Moonlight shadows are something a bit more mysterious...the moon can represent many things as well...of course, astronomical references and what they represent could be another topic entirely...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 08:55

Of course you didn't sound patronising Korgscrew wink

I had thought about emotions before, as most of Mike's work has been influenced by his thoughts and feelings, eg Amarok. I was just wondering if there was some other explanation rather than the obvious and simple one wink, for example he kept opening his rhyming dictionary at the weather section.

Everyone take care over the New Year, whether you think it's the millennium or not. And I'm not giving my opinion on this, thus saving you from uncalled for suffering over the holiday wink.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Dec. 28 2000, 06:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net