Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The voice(s)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 05 2000, 16:18

I decided to write this message after posting a reply in the "Steve Farrell's Analysis" topic. After re-reading that reply, I was suddenly reminded of an interview with Tom Newman I read some years ago (a short while after Amarok came out) in a magazine...I don't remember its title, but it was one of those technical ones..."Recordings" or something...anyway, I've kept some bits from it, as paper clips (I wasn't such a big MO fan back then as I am now!!).
One of these bits explains how the "I'm a bit busy" voice got into the recording. Tom Newman says that Mike, during the Amarok sessions, sampled everything and anything happened around him in the studio...including cross-talk between him, Tom and Daniel Lazerus...One day Tom was fixing a tape machine [some tape got stuck in it...yes,they still used tape!! smile], while Mike was in the studio, creating some noises for the first Mad Bit. He was totally unaware of what Tom was doing. All of a sudden he halted, without stopping his tape recorder, and asked Tom if he could duplicate some pieces of tape (maybe some of the "Happy?" samples) for him. Tom replied: "Not now, I'm a bit...busy". His voice got into Mike's tape...and Mike kept it!! A little bit of manipulation was enough for it to be inserted in the Mad Bit.

Some other bits from the interview say that Mike himself created all the following vocal (and not only...) pieces:

-The whispers in the Intermission. It was Tom's idea to make him read the sections list.
-The vocoded bits at the start and immediately before Big Roses.
-All the male voices in the Sondela chant wherever they come up (e.g. Africa III, when the chant is split amongst the stereo channels).
-"Hmm-hmm" before the first climax. I think this was pretty obvious. wink
-Yawning, sighing and teeth-brushing in Hoover. These were recorded at about 7:00 PM... smile
-Glass-smashing at the end of Hoover. Although this might seem odd, this noise (the first time it comes in) is not a sample or a sound effect, but a real glass being smashed on the studio floor!!! eek I wonder who did the cleaning... biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 17 2002, 04:59

thats wicked. i like triva like that.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 07:12

Happy Happy Happy

I love the Happy that keeps appearing throughout Amarok. I thought everyone would like to know that he says "Happy" seven times, and says "Ha-" 44 times, plus a bit at the end, at 58:40, where he goes "Ha-" about 50 times during a four-and-a-half second period. Even halving the speed four times i still couldn't exactly tell how many "Ha-"s there were because of the echo, but that equates to about 11 a second. That's a lot of Happy! wink Yes, I know none of you care, but it's just a bit of trivia, and you never know when you might need to know that the Happy guy says "Ha-" about 95 times...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2014, 05:33

That's a lot of Happy :)
Who's voice is it saying Happy? doesn't sound like Mike.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Sep. 05 2000, 16:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net