Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Tube World Demo, Spoilers - be warned.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2003, 03:02

Well i've just downloaded the demo and gone through it (as much as I think there is). It works fine on my system (P4, Nvidia GeForce 4 graphics card, 256Mb RAM).

It was a bit confusing at first as the initial start up screen is exactly the same as Tres Lunas and the title given is MVR 1 Tres Lunas. But, trust me, when you strat the game it is The Tube World.

The graphics are roughly the same, except the sky and cloud effects, mist etc.. which is a bit better.

There's not much music in this demo, except that which you trigger in a few scenes - which BTW are quite breathtaking.
There is a new flight feature, banking. This is a bit annoying at first if you're used to the old MVR engine, but after a while it proves to give a more realistic sensation of flying and actually helps in getting more accurate directioning.

OK..as to the world itself and what you have to do.

1. Initial scene.
Initially you are in a darkish deserty world with a castle and a set of seven portals (same as before but with stained glass windows in the portal bit). They don't appear to do anything in the demo. You can fire a metallic object which makes a tubular sound.

To get in the castle you have to fire the clock hand pointing to 12 and the gates will open. Quickly go through the gate before it closes. In the castle are two avatars, a hang glider and a magic carpet (?). Go to the far side of the ruined catle and you will find a picture gallery. Only one of the pictures (which has the opening piano sound to TB2003) is a portal in the demo. It is the picture of the windmills and it leads you to the space craft chase game...

2. Space Craft Chase Game

Here you are in a lovely mountainous scene which is partially covered with clouds (where the windmills are). There are many tubular 'mobiles' (like the things you hang from the ceiling to blow in the wind) above the clouds that don't trigger anything.

The sound in this scene is the bass riff of Finale TB2003.

In this scene you have to chase and shoot two space crafts that will turn into seagulls on shooting.

On shooting both of them you will be taken into an ethereal scene..

3. Ethereal Scene

This is a specey scene with many landing platforms in it. Some platforms are empty, some have a roundish metallic thingy on them which takes you back to the initial scene.

I forget what music's playing here.

You must find the portal that looks like an 8 and shoot it then you'll be taken to a lovely Far above the Clouds scene with many Tubular Bells and the Opning theme playing briefly before you go back to the initial scene.

That's all i've discovered so far. Anything else you've found?

Pretty much what I expected actually, although the Space Ship chase was especially fun!!!   Hope there's more music triggers in the full version (and more variety in music).

Well, that's my 2p worth...

:cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 04:39

The chat window (which is superimposed over the top of the top screen) can be reached by pressing: tab/alt together. Can't wait to try this out. :cool:

Try setting your bright and contrast levels to get best effect - I was first using quite dark settings and now realize much detail was missing - much better now.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 05:57

oops..a few amendment to my above two posts.

The chat window can be reached by clicking the Tab key by itself.

When you get both Aeroplanes (oe space ships as I earlier called them) you go to the ethereal world. It seems that there are different variables here. Sometime you start wth a metal thingy at the top right corner, meaning you need to find it on one of the platforms - usually on the one closest to you. Juest go to it and you will go far above the clouds with all the bells!!! Sometimes, however, there seems to be no metal thnigy but a portal like an '8' - it baffles me how I first got to the bells above the cloud with this as now I go straight back to the castle.

Another hint... to shoot both Aeroplanes, choose speed 3 (press the '3' on your keyboard) and you will be faster than they are. You can also hitch a ride on the planes - fun! :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Osiris
Unregistered

Posted: June 10 2003, 07:12

Yep Timshen, I think that's all we can see in the demo.
I noticed that in the castle (pictures part), there's a table, with a candle on it, and when I touch the picture with round metalic objects on it, a "planetarium" appears on the table, could you confirm that ?   I try to shoot it but nothing happens.  
The metallic thing we shoot at the beginning is a very beautiful shape, including in its center the geometric thing we can see in the picture part on mikeoldfield.com
In the ethaeral part of the demo, there's a platform with that shape on it, and on top of a tower in the castle too !

The avatars i found :    3 (green, red and blue) hang gliders, a checker piece and  a flying carpet.    Mike says in the News part of his site that there are 6 avatars ?  what is thhe last one ?...
Paul S Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 07:18

Not too bad :O (Haven't found anything extra on what has already been discovered).

Have found though that on trying to run it for a third time it continually crashes out with a '102' error code :(

Looks like it needs re-installing :/

Cheers

Paul
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 11:29

Yep Osiris - there is a planetarium that appears on the table that seems to do nothing. I hadn't seen the metallic object on one of the towers - will search for that now. Thanks.

Tim

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 19:04

just got it, works perfect in my computer and.... i love it!!
the feeling when flying is...very real, for example, when u go up very high it seems u move very slowly (the same that happened when breaking the barriers in mvr going to the daliphant) and getting closer to the ground u can rush... i've been for pleasure flying around the desert and the only i was missing there is a good piece of music...
also the avatars are easier to handle i think... it's really nice to fly on the carpet. i was very used to the firebeing (and i'd love it were also here...) but in just one play i'm getting keen on the carpet, it's perfect to fly on this awesome sky...
i was looking forward to the demo and now... i want more! :D

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 23:46

There's more...
In the FATC scene with all the bells, turn around and look a bit up. There is a huge metallic thing (the same as the one you must collect) in the sky. It has what looks like instruments in it. On the top is a golden item.

It's quite difficult to navigate to this and by the time you get there you are usually taken back to the castle.

But if you do manage to shoot the golden item on the top.....WOW! YASNY! :cool:  :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 05:10

what does Mike means with "try getting the 6 avatars to the castle"?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 05:29

OK, now that I've been a bit more into into it..
First, it's performing excellent on my Athlon800/GF2Ti system, which would count as low-end for todays gamer's standards - even at 1280x960 resolution.
For the avatars, I guess the carpet is going to become my favourite - most stable behaviour, and quite precise aiming. With the hang-gliders, it's much more difficult to stop them rotating when you need it, and I still have problems to find the aiming line for 'shooting' - not to talk about the chess piece, IMHO a real 'knight-mare' (probably designed for experienced helicopter pilots?)
About the 6th avatar, I have a suspicion (looking at the castle), but not yet found any to pick up...
The landscapes are great, though a little empty...
Changing jet fighters into seagulls is not such a bad idea, IMHO - but I cannot stay too long in this scene before getting attacks of moition sickness.
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:28

Well, I got all 6 Avatarts into the castle as Mike said. Nothing happened and there seemed to be no new trigger.

It took a looooooooooooooooong time to do it as you have to enter the castle with each Avatar by shooting the twelve on the clock whilst controlling each avatar.

There are four hang-gliders, a chess knight and the magic carpet. Just to prove I have donw it here's the image - I didn't have screen capture set up so had to take a pic with my old digital camera. You can just about make out all six...

I'm not going to do that again in a hurry! The sixth avatar is the hardest to get - I left an obscure clue in a previous post (don't want to give too much away!!!;). :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:41

If you changed the fighter planes into doves I would have congratulated Mike for being profound, but seagulls???? I also have a problem with the SciFi elements in the game, they simply don't go with TB, it should all be a lot more naturalistic. Some if it just comes across as being outright naff, even though I liked most of MVR TresLunas, I think Mike needs to let other people help out at a conceptual level because its horribly obvious he's stretching himself way to far. We'll see what the final versions like though.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:49

Something weird happened!!! I took the a carpet ouside the castle and tried to re enter with it. As I did I got caught in some kind of warp that brough the Tubular Mobiles outside the castle with the mettalic object in the sky (normally above the clouds with all the TBs) surrounded by the space platforms.

Anyone else has had this?  Pics below...

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 09:03

Following is a link to all my pics of the Tube World Demo..

http://www.timshen.truepath.com/tubedemo.htm

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Manny Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 08:57

So far, the flying mode is driving me crazy 'cause it takes me ages to go wherever I want to. In the windmills I can't get the planes to go any place after I catch them (when I don't shoot them, I mean), it looks more like they're carrying me away. As you see, it looks that I have a lot of complains but please do not misunderstand me, I've liked it a lot.  Graphics are a little better than TL although there's room for improvement but I think musicvr is not about graphics but music and experiencing things.   I Hope the full version appears soon
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 15:39

I'm very happy today...cos I'm flying in a new MVR environment.
           The sky is great and the flying feeling improved!
            And I love this idea,  "go  by yourself, fly & find"

Just a little bit more of music and it would have been perfect...I know, it's only a demo...but it's going to be difficult to wait for the whole game!
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 15:40

I'm very happy today...cos I'm flying in a new MVR environment !
           The sky is great and the flying feeling improved!
            And I love this idea,  "go  by yourself, fly & find"

Just a little bit more of music and it would have been perfect...I know, it's only a demo...but it's going to be difficult to wait for the whole game!

:)
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 10:01

Quote (timshen @ June 10 2003, 05:57)
Sometime you start wth a metal thingy at the top right corner, meaning you need to find it on one of the platforms - usually on the one closest to you. Juest go to it and you will go far above the clouds with all the bells!!! Sometimes, however, there seems to be no metal thnigy but a portal like an '8' - it baffles me how I first got to the bells above the cloud with this as now I go straight back to the castle.

I think that the objective this time is to collect this metallic objects. I found one in a tower and then it appeared at the right-top corner of the screen as used to happen with the rings of Tr3s Lunas. Almost when I picked it up, it sounded the same music/sound that sounded sometimes in Tr3s Lunas when you got one ring (the one at the beach I think). So maybe if you already have one when you arrive to the ethereal world there's another one waiting for you, but if you have none there's only a "door" to return to the castle.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 12:27

Quote (timshen @ June 11 2003, 08:49)
Something weird happened!!! I took the a carpet ouside the castle and tried to re enter with it. As I did I got caught in some kind of warp that brough the Tubular Mobiles outside the castle with the mettalic object in the sky (normally above the clouds with all the TBs) surrounded by the space platforms.

I've tried to do the same but nothing happened. Maybe is only a bug of the program (the Tubular Mobiles picture makes me think this is what have happened) or maybe it is needed a more complicated serie of actions than "simply" go outside and enter again with the magic carpet.  :/
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 19 2003, 10:43

Well, now I can get the wierd effect of 'Tubular Mobiles' and the huge metallic thing in the sky with the space platforms right outside the castle as again can be seen by the following pictures...

To get to this (it works every time for me)...

1. Go into the castle the normal way (shoot 12 hand on clock and zoom in over the walls).
2. Get the magic carpet and fly it out of the castle walls.
3. Fly away from the castle until the barrier is activated againand you are taken to the start scene but with the carpet.
4. Go with the carpet to straight before the doors and stop when you hit the barrier.
5. Detach yourself from the carpet by pressing 'space','Enter' together.

Viola!!! You hould look around and see the Tubular Mobiles. Look in the sky and you'll see the huge metallic object with lots of space platforms.

Is that wierd or not?

Anyone else managed to get this or is it just my system?????? :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
23 replies since June 10 2003, 03:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net