Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Space Movie, DVD release< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 24 2007, 03:42

I noticed a listing for The Space Movie at amazon.com. Apparently, the release date is set for June 12, 2007. I had seen a couple of clips on YouTube - was there a previous DVD release, or was that from VHS?

Anyhoo, my burning question is... besides "Incantations", what other pieces are on it?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 20:59

I was watching this DVD for the second time yesterday.
The most interesting (and funny) thing for me I think is the interview with the director, Tony Palmer (made in Jan. -07).
In the summer 1978 Nasa sent him a letter where they was telling that they were looking for somebody that could make a documentary out of their archive of film to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's historical journey.
So he began to cut into "40 miles" of film material but he needed music for it. Richard Branson (Virgin Films) called him and recomended Mike Oldfield to do that part as he wasn't doing much else rather than studing the bottom of a bottle at the time. He was just finished making Ommadawn and was sitting on his hergest ridge and wasn't interested in them until he really saw what Palmer was doing. The next problem then was the time limit. Mike was given only a few weeks for the big project so he ended up with only 4,5 minutes of specially, new written music for 90 minutes of film. He then said to Palmer, why don't we take some music that is already finished?
So they picked out some music from the orchestral Tubular Bells, the unreleased orchestral Hergest Ridge and from Ommadawn (wich was released after The Space Movie). Tony made the editing as carefully as he could and then showed the results to Richard and Mike wich accepted it. (The music fits really well to this I must say, eventhough it wasn't ment to be that way from the beginning.) Tony Palmer also said in this interview that he would have liked to add 5.1 surround sound to this original remastering but it would have taken +one year to do so and this DVD had to be released this year. One of the reasons was said to be because of all the bootlegs floating around with unacceptable quality.

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 07:47

Thanks for the info, Im going to order this today
Profile PM 
2 replies since May 24 2007, 03:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net