[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: the sound of too boo lar bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 05:41

Who does the narration in FATC?

It's quite funny, but it doesn't compare with the narration done in Liberation (TMB). That half Spanish accent is great

I still hear "Ouch! Demon" all the time in Outcast. This is a sample that's slowed down as you can tell
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 06:30

1) That's Francesca Robertson, a nice Irish little girl... her accent is half-Irish, not half-Spanish... smile Sure it doesn't compare with Liberation... this one (FATC) is meant to be dramatic, but it frankly does not sound like it. smile

2) It sounds more like "Out Demon Out!" It's not slowed down, IMHO, but vocoded.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 09:50

It is in fact "Out Demon Out!" but who says it? Does MO?

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 12:13

Yes, tubularbills...it's MO... who else can it be? smile That track "features" no one else than Mike in the liner notes...

--------------
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 16:18

Hi Ugo, I agree with you that "too-boo-lar" doesn't sound dramatic at all. (Why do you think it is meant to?) To me, it sounds like a child who has just learned to read, and stumbles over an unknown word. Maybe it was meant to sound "cute & innocent"? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 16:38

Sorry, Carsten, I expressed myself badly. I meant to say that the LYRICS are supposed to be dramatic.
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again except for the sound of TU-BU-LAR BELLS".
. The child's voice, IMHO, alludes to some cheap horror movies like the first "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Scream" or even "The Exorcist" itself, where children's voices chanting or reading something often act as a prelude to heavy-bloodshed horrific sequences. None of this, always IMHO, is working with the child's voice in FATC. It sounds nothing else more than a child to me. It doesn't even convey the picture of childish innocence in my mind, while the Liberation piece does.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 16:56

BTW, Carsten, I don't think that the child stumbles over "tubular". She was taught to say it that way, i.e. (supposedly) emphatically. Needless to say, the result does not sound emphatic at all to me... smile

--------------
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 23:19

I'd have to say when i first listened to, [the lyrics], my reaction was: "what????!!!" I thought the voice was kind of...out of place. But listening to it over and over...and over and over...i think it works. It's a pretty cool saying, regardless of what the voice sounds like. But anyway, i think the way that "Tu-bu-lar-bells" was voiced didn't really sound like stumbling. Maybe it didn't really add emphasis to the song, but it still works. Doesn't seem to take away anything from it. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 04:46

IMHO, when she say "Tu-Bu-Lar-Bells", I can hear a rythm (1234---Bing!), preparing this big huge wonderfull perfect crazy bell... Like in Amarok with "Hmhm" (with different aspects), it preparing the Bell sound... Maybe this lyrics are out of place, but the "TuBuLarBells" word is IMHO perfect. In fact, I personnaly don't really "listen" this lyrics but the music of words...
And more, if you want to put a Tubular Bell logo on an album, you must have a MC ! Like Viv Standshall, you must announce it.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 05:21

Hmmmmmmm, I actually quite liked the childs "Far Above The Clouds" goo-goo speak, it adds this totally insane flavour to what I think is one of the great "climaxes" Mike has ever done. The whole album really builds up to this, Mike was right to leave the bells till the end. Yes, you are all right, it is out of place, but thats part of why I like it.

However, I have said elsewhere that the album could have been improved if Mike had gone with the male vocal he used on the "XXV: The Essential Mike Oldfield" sampler for "The Source Of Secrets" and "Secrets", and it would have been nice if someone with a very refined british accent had announced the finale (Viv Stanshall, Alan Rickman, or for someone new maybe Natasha Richardson). But hell, its great anyway!
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 15:17

I once thought that the actual quote sounds somewhat like a suicide note. For awhile too I thought that if MO was to end his music career, that would have been the perfect album to end it with. Probably the best ending to an album i've ever heard. smile smile smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 18:37

If it's to do with my favourite endings of albums I'd have to say they come from two of the best MO albums: Amarok and Incantations. There is just something about the ending of Incantations Part IV that when you skip directly to this part it makes you feel you should listen to the whole of it. It just feels like a big epic instrumental has ended with its chord progressions but still using the basic tune for the Hiawatha poems

The ending for The Millennium Bell is suposed to be hugely climatic with the guitar, the African choir and the heavy drums at their loudest, but I feel it somehow is far too much. If this was composed after the Millennium I'm sure it would be less climatic

The child narration in FATC is a novel idea that's never been done before and it is very effective. I don't think it is as funny as the Vivian Stanshall section of TB. My Dad laughed at that bit when I played it to him

Vivian Stanshall wouldn't have been able to do the MCing on this album as I think he died before then. It could have done with a Bell section though, even if it borrowed little else from the original TB concept this should have been in it
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2000, 05:03

When i was talking about Viv Standshall as MC, I was talking about the end of Part 1. BTW, I think the structure of TB3 in reversed, if you compare it to TB :
- Outcast = Piltdown Man
- Serpent Dream = The Sailor Hornpipe (IMHO, yes, it is a piece of guitar, 'ethnic', and fast : TSH was UK-trad., Moonshine was US Bluegrass and SD is SP-flamenco. IMHO TB4 may be Bavarian ! wink)
Well...
Outcast is at the end of a pseudo-part 1 and
FATC is at then end of pseudo part 2.
So FATC is the equivalent of The Bell, and F.Roberston is the quivalent of Standshall, and she is MC and should (must) announce - at least - the tubular bell.

Sorry for this but I didn't know if I was understood about MC.

I thought too that it was his last album when I first heard "and nothing was ever heard from him again"... I was very afraid !

BTW, I don't know if we already made a list of equivalent tracks between TB3 and TB1 sub-parts ?

Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2000, 15:50

Strange you should say that Outcast is the end of a psudo section, the tracks all merge into each other except for The Inner Child and Man in the Rain

I don't think TB3 can be compared to or likened to the other two TB's. It was just given that title because of the beginning sentinel riff which the album developed around
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 03:38

I was of course thinking of a simili-part 1, if we had to split TB3 in two part like TB and TB2 to compare them. That was just to say that IMHO, Outcast (on the first half on TB3) is the equivalent of Piltdown man (second half of
TB). Did I say it better now ? wink

Hm, I think there is a lot of things to compare between TB+TB2 and TB3. Of course MITR is a song, and you can't find song in 'Classical TB series'. But I think Ugo starts a new topic about that...
Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 19:28

A few notes...

Using a child's voice was the idea of Rob Dickins (one of the high up people in Warner A&R - he's acted as executive producer on a couple of Mike's albums). Francesca Robertson is a relation of his - a niece I believe, or something like that. To me it gives the little tale she tells the air of a fairy tale, read from a book by a child...Liberation on the other hand just seems badly read to me (I've worked on productions with child actors who would have read it far better than this, giving it some real spirit and feeling). Anyway, I'd argue that Anne Frank shows not innocence, but innocence ruined (but that's something for another topic)...

I'd say you could compare it with the others. Sure it doesn't follow the same rigid structure like TB2 does, but that's what I find interesting about TB2. Saying that in order to be a TB album it had to follow the same structure (not that anyone here necessarily is saying that) would be like saying that with film sequels it's ok to change the setting, the actors and the exact wordings on lines but the story had to be the same. Now that wouldn't be very interesting wink TB3 is like a deconstructed Tubular Bells, with what Mike considers the essential elements there, but in a different order and with other bits in between.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2000, 04:34

wink Thanks for finding words and agreeing w/ me Korgscrew !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Rob Miles Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2000, 16:36

I did I sort-of breakdown of themes some time ago. It's on Lise's excellent site at www.ommadawn.dk

There's lots of tubular references in TB3- I think I got most of them. There's a lot more that's hinted at. I think this is more of a sequel than TB2 ever was- the TB ideas were blown apart and reassembled. To my mind, the effect is not unlike a continuous 'part one' track, particularly given that the essence of the Piltdown Man section is first hinted at in the rocky section of TB part 1.

As someone who likes to find the links between Mike's albums, TB3 was very informative. I can now trace the beginnings of TSODE from Weightless, and the continuum of the end of Part Two from his work with Kevin Ayers.

Rob

:-)?
Profile PM 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: April 27 2001, 16:21

Wow, I didn't know it said "Out, demon, Out." I always thought he said "Bounge Atki Bounge." Well, I'll take your words for it...
-Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
Stu-bular bell Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2001, 16:30

I think that all 3 TB albums have there similarities and differences.

This does not set any one of them apart!!
They all have the same style of music -
cheerful, sad, mysterious, dark.
:I think TB2 is the most cheerful and TB3 the darkest.

I also think had FATC is a welcome change from the bell's sequence and adore the crescendo up until the bell enters

TB3 is without a doubt, A 'tubular Bells album'

fave tracks from all 3:
1. far above the clouds
2. red dawn
3. outcast
4. the bell
5. sentinel
6. part 2
Profile PM WEB 
31 replies since Oct. 21 2000, 05:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net