Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Sorcerer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mlokie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 09 2001, 19:06

Unfortunately I don't have an original CD of this album, just downloaded mp3's. But I like these tracks very much and it would be good to know few facts about them. Like:
Where and when was that TBII live played?
What's that TB demo bit at all? Could it be a piece of an original TB demo?? It sounds like it, but I never heard of possibility of it's existing (maybe I've missed something)..
And where and when were the other track performed?
Does anybody know? Does anybody (reading this) own a original copy of CD (or whatever was released if any really was)?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 09 2001, 19:57

I believe that the 'TB demo' is actually something Mike recorded with the BBC for the Nicky Campbell show, but as I don't have the album, I can't be certain we're talking about the same thing. The track I'm thinking of ends with a 'bell' section with someone (that someone being BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel as far as I can tell) introducing things like 'japanese multitimbral sound module' and 'a computer approximation of tubular bells'.

I can't tell you anything about the rest of the tracks though...
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: May 09 2001, 20:11

Yes, that's it! Thanks a lot, Korgscrew!
Was the BBC NC show that one in 1979? And what does exactly 'a computer approximation of tb' means? Btw, I like the way he says 'glockespiel'..
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: May 10 2001, 02:40

Hi Fans,

Some sayed that it comes from Glasgow, Apollo - as the sleeve pretend - but TB 2 Live is the Edinburgh Premier.
More info on www.altcastlenet.com/images/mike/bootlegs.html
Cheers,
Gmovj

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 10 2001, 23:39

The Nicky Campbell show version was done in the late 1980s - I think 1988 or somewhere around then.

'A computer approximation of tubular bells': you can take this to mean something like "A computer sound that's roughly like tubular bells" or similar (maybe that's not the clearest way of saying it, but I hope you'll get the idea...). It's just one of those silly phrases, like 'two slightly sampled electric guitars'.
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: May 11 2001, 09:13

Oh, I didn't think it's just a classic bootleg.
And this TBII is really Edinburgh premiere, but it's not taken from the VHS or other official release. It's an audience recording, so you can hear it, as it really was reproduced then. At the moment I have a problem with playing the first part ('stage I') mp3 so I can't say much about that, but as I listened to the second one very precisely I found out there've bin done some changes to the original release (Mike's guitar faded out on some parts, some whole sounds cutted out, for example if you listen to beginning of Weightless or Tattoo).
But not very big difference at all except that some things you can hear more clearly and some less..

For the 'TB demo bit':
Besides others, that Bootlegs page says the NC show was done in Dec 89.
Off course I understan that 'comp. appr.' now (but still don't know the exact way they've done it). I thought it was much earlier, when computer approximations wouldn't be easy to do.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 11 2001, 18:54

This depends on what we call a computer approximation...

The Fairlight was a computer (its full name, Fairlight CMI standing for Computer Musical Instrument) - it might be that Mike used one for his bells there.

It may have been sampled/synthesised with something like Mike's Atari ST (which would be a lot more portable than a fairlight...I somehow doubt that Mike would have dragged his CMI along to the BBC session, but I may be wrong).

But maybe it's just a silly name for a keyboard sound wink
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 09 2001, 19:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net