Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of Distant Past, proposal for a new (large) group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stevenmd779 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 18:40

We need precusionists, woodwind and brass players, maybe someone to play harp, marimba, violin, cello, harmonica, ect. Maybe I'll go look in the fan music section and search for musicians and private message them and tell them about this. Hopefully, I'll go get a microphone by this weekend, and put up some sample recordings.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 18:48

Give me some weeks (I won't be visiting my private parts stock in some weeks) but I'll try to make a recording cable by salvaging as little material as possible :).
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 18:51

@Nicolas - loved your short video - reminded me so much of the "making of Ommadawn" video  :D

Whilst I don't have a musical note in my body, I want to watch this happen, sounds like a really great idea, and so good to see "young blood" coming through. I believe this is the sort of project Mike himself would support and encourage.

Good luck all of you. I'll definetley add this to my "watch this space" list.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 18:59

There's certainly young blood overhere.  Apparently I'm not the only one still going to school. OK a really really big school sometimes called the you-NI-verse-it-ty, but still school :D.

Nice to hear you enjoyed my video and the project idea! I've never seen the making of Ommadawn though... :)

I do hope this project get started up and finished with an enjoyable result.  Of course the summum would be the man himself liking the interpretation (and adding it as a bonus disc on his new record ;) :p ), but I'd be extremely happy if we'd just could pull this trick to start with and could indeed recreate the themes and flow of TSODE into a flow of old singles style pieces.  

Just admit it, while we all are amazed at the master between things like Amarok, Ommadawn... we just can't stop from smiling and dancing on the good old in your face singles :D.  They're magic!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 19:45

I'm sure this came up during "Finale", but.... what does Mike Oldfield himself think of such projects?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 19:51

He said himself that he liked Finale (I thought both musically and as a project), and "one of his recommendations" was to make a composition of our own (remember his 90's call for more originallity in music, it's related to that).

Well, this TSODP idea does not incorporate that exactly, but with this seventiesizing idea we are taking further steps on the path of originality.  I hope we can surprise MO himself with how his own melodies could be used in ways he never thought of.  :cool:

I think a web based cooperation in an original piece would be very hard, and somehow I feel this TSODP could be at least as much fun and originality. Just the challenge of surprising people with music they know by heart in basis.  :)
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 03:43

Hi all!
     I may be of some use here to. I have some things that may help.
Mid 60s Sg junior (for that early mo distorted sound)
Plenty of old anologue synths
Old basses including a gibson EB-3 and a 64 rickenbacker (Mike never used ricks, but he should have!;)
Early roland and korg guitar synths (early 80s stuff, but if the shoe fits...)
Bodhran
Vibraslap (heard on incantations)
Bagpipes (very out of practice but I should scrub up)
Reed organ
Plus, loads of other old shite!
I live in Australia but there is sure to be a way around that!

count me in!

If you wish to know a little more about me and my music look here: http://bathurstafterdark.com/artist/eden_mackenzie.shtml and check out the lo-rez mp3s
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 04:08

Hi Emac!

I've listened to your music some days ago. I especially liked the first sample.  I'm sure you would be very handy!  You've got a load of useful instruments, you can play very well and you can arrange things.

Sure you're in!

loads of instruments emac
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:08

hey whoops i didnt even see this post existed there!

well if youd sttill like me to lead id gladly do it!

and nicolas ill send you our demo for trcks if youd like to hear what we got half finished, in fact, stefan, could you send him it? you know what happend to my motherboard!!

anyway if theres still intrest in me ill do my best, im proud of my guitar abilities and i can mix well thanks to new software!
and a tsode cover would be plenty of fun, especially if were experimenting with how he used to do it!

count me in if you want me! :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:15

hey whoops i didnt even see this post existed there!

well if youd sttill like me to lead id gladly do it!

No, I hate you by now  ;)  Of course you can still take the lead if you got the interest, time, knowledge and means for that task.  You're in! :)

We would be experimenting with how he used to do it a bit in the sense that we'd need to figure out the layering, the interaction between instruments etc. So we'd need to do an analysis of the buildup. Which cover does not need that :).  But as we're planning on seventiesizing it and (in my wild idea) giving it somewhat a IDJ/blue peter/portsmouth arrangement, we would not need to figure out the exact arrangement, and certainly not just what instruments and settings were orginially used.

This is to be far from a one on one copy!  Take the music from TSODE, take the "linked singles" approach from Platinum, discovery (more like platinum P1 to P4, so a natural flow from part to part, as the original TSODE was), and give each part a vintage instruments list and arrangement like IDJ/portsmouth/blue Peter...

(or did you mean "how he used to make music in the seventies"?)

I'm interested in hearing what you have half finished (tricks of the light I assume?)  That would have been a good practice for this project!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:21

hahaha, well it doesnt seem to hard, ill use acid pro, and ill start listening to tsode like crazy again to get the feel again, it shouldnt be to hard, but ive one question, can i play guitar too?

you can hear my guitar skills here

(edge of the world has probably my best guitar playing in my little "studio" with my band..hehe)

welli hope alls well

jonny :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:26

If you can play 70's MO guitar style, sure!  We're doing a MO album, it's not like we wouldn't need guitars! :D  And I won't be complaining about your playin, it's excellent and I'm a bad player anyway.

We don't have acoustic guitar just to name one thing, but we could use more electric as well, to remove work from other guitarists and increase creativity :).

We're getting a good list together (emac helped us out on many old instruments :)).  Maybe still some sorts of bells, xylophone percussion, percussion other than Bodhran?

Anyway new people will keep coming in for a while I assume.

Also, exactly who will be playing what parts of the music will have to grow during the project. It's not as clear cut as a one on one finale cover (I'm not saying that one was easy, it's different!;).  Everyone can try interpretations of pieces/layers, and we'll see what gives the best overall effect :).
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:37

Moroccan bongoey things  :)

As played in 'The shining ones'  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:40

no problemos

heres a list of instruments i have access to:

-Ibanez edr470ex ergodyne electric guitar,

-Shine sil 62 electric guitar - both modern guitars, but im a master at sampling them to sound old, again, if you heard tricks you know what i mean

-Stagg sw206ce electro acoustic- i can cover the acoustic too, but im far better electric.

-casio ct450 synth, ancient wee bugger, about 25 years old.

-yamaha psr175 keyboard- sometimes handy

-yamaha rbx270 (or something like that, i cant really remeber the code) electric bass

-Marshall 100dfx - great amp to get rustic sounds.

-casio celviano clavinova- great for any other sounds we need.

-Bodhran - i have access to one, and i can play one, but i cant guarantee its sounding amazing.

-falcon spanish guitar -  again, no ramirez, still can sound good though if i spend time at sampling.

-I have also access to a ludwig accent cs drumkit, however it is our drummers, so the next time i can record it well, is when we are recording as a band, and i take 5 mins to take a layer for our purpose, i can play drums to a good standard, but obviously im no simon phillips.

- percussion plus bongos.- why not hahaha

And a new pc loaded with acid pro and soundforge, with a creative soundblster soundcard, (i think)

there may be more but im in school at the mo, so i cant exactly remeber all that is in my little music room unless im there.
anyway hope anything there can help.

:D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 05:59

Morrocan bongey things from Bell(end), all guitars and bass jonnyw summed up, his claviona, possibly his keyboards, all welcome!

(about time to update the  instruments/musicians list once more)

I'm interested to hear the TOTL demo, jonnyw! That way I can hear your mixing abilities. Is it mixed on the same system you'd be using for this TSODP project? (apart from the motherboard?  :/ )

A good Creative card could do the job. If it's a soundblaster, I hope it's one of the newest Live models.  I use an Audigy2 with Logic myself.  I never figured out how to set up a Logic environment though, so I'm working in the default mode :).

Recording Magellan in 70's single style should be the time of our lifes!  But in fact that counts for the whole album. There's so much we could do with it.  Magellan is rather straightforward to seventiesize I think, others will require more creativity.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 09:20

Yeah, Magellan sounds like a pretty good song to do... just as Let there be Light and Oceania or Time will Tell...

Nicolas: I'll try to send the demo of Tricks to you by email... If that aint working, we could try to do that by msn.

Ah, great to see a huge list of names and instruments... Of course we won't use every instrument, but it would sure be cool to have all of the participating members playing something on the song(s).
I'll try to download the video now!
EDIT: I've seen it... that will sound great!! Spooky sounds!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 09:43

You've got PM. Good to hear you enjoyed the video and are practicing right now!

There's so many possibilities in TSODE, we might end up doing the whole album  :cool:.  Once we've got one song done we'll "master" the process of online participations, and the rest will come naturally.  I won't settle for just one song from TSODE ;).
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 09:56

Very well indeed  :D

Perhaps we could make a sort of mix!! Like playing a couple of songs and then add them together, just like on the album, but then for example this order:
1. in the beginning
2. magellan
3. let there be light
4. only time will tell (that one will be perfect for funny noises and voices!! )  :)

Maybe it's a bad idea, I don't know, but it sounds quite nice!  :cool:  
Should we start a vote, concerning which songs we're going to play??  :)
----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I've been practising Let there be Light on bass! I think I've found the chords to it! I'm not sure if there is actually a bass guitar on most of that album, but it certainly would fit very well, even more if we would change it into a sort of 70's  version of it, which idea was mentioned before!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 10:38

I think it's a good idea, as it's more realistic than doing the whole album.

(never mind my typo's, I'm constantly switching between qwerty and azerty :))

We'd definately need In the Beginning, as it is suitable and it is THE TSODE song :-).

magellan is just perfect for seventiesizing.

I'll listen at home to see what more we could do.

We could make a poll.  4 songs would mean about 15 minutes of music, that sounds realistic and interesting: we'll still need 3 mixes of one theme into another. We could even write our own ending or something like that.

Maybe we should start a poll with all TSODE songs, to see what people would like best? I would take starting with in the beginning as a guarantee, and let them choose the other 3 songs (top 3 of the poll results).  We'll see about the order of the songs after that.

Do people think 4 songs(mixed as 1 piece of course) is too little, too much, just right?

Would Corgscrew be intereseted as well? Maybe he and jonnyw could even share the lead or something like that?

I'm so curious to hear TOTL, I'll listen when I'm at home in a few hours.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 10:47

Well, I thought that maybe this was going to be a continuous thing. Also, when we have recorded a complete piece, where are we going to put it? You know, like what website.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
85 replies since Feb. 07 2006, 18:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net