Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of Distant Earth & Tubular Bells Pt.1, Full Album Covers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
elemento188 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 01 2023, 12:28

Hi, everyone.

Few days ago I sent the TABs for Acension (TSODE) and just today I though of posting these two covers I made. Far from perfect: I learned everything by myself (music theory, playing guitar, piano, producing, mixing), so I am not totally satisfied with the sound but, this is just for fun and love for this music.

Tubular Bells Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwE7tSCzGXw

The Songs of Distant Earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN213GqNp7U

Hope you enjoy them.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 16:12

You're very talented, so no apologies or caveats necesssary. Well done!

If I was critical of anything, during the opening section, I was thinking that the organ (brass) stabs weren't quite right, in terms of sound. But that's a tiny complaint. Loved it.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 16:16

Still listening. Super impressed!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 16:26

You don't need that drum kit at all, imo.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 16:31

Very last phrase features keyboard over guitar. I (personally) need to hear that nylon-string guitar playing it.

This all may have sounded nit-picky, but, honestly, I wish I had your talent. Amazing. Well done. Consider me humbled. Keep at it!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
elemento188 Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 17:06

Thank you for your comments. It's good to know what people don't like or what sounds strange. When you spend weeks recording, you're not able to see the negative aspects. As you say, there are things that are not quite right in the sound, and besides, I haven't dedicated time to try to make the instruments sound the same as in the albums. It was exhausting in itself, Tubular Bells took 6 weeks of work. I will keep learning.
Regards.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 17:23

Quote (elemento188 @ July 01 2023, 17:06)
Thank you for your comments. It's good to know what people don't like or what sounds strange. When you spend weeks recording, you're not able to see the negative aspects. As you say, there are things that are not quite right in the sound, and besides, I haven't dedicated time to try to make the instruments sound the same as in the albums. It was exhausting in itself, Tubular Bells took 6 weeks of work. I will keep learning.
Regards.

6 weeks? Crikey. I should definitely shut up.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 04 2023, 10:50

Quote (elemento188 @ July 01 2023, 12:28)
Far from perfect: I learned everything by myself (music theory, playing guitar, piano, producing, mixing), so I am not totally satisfied with the sound but, this is just for fun and love for this music.

Hi! Thanks for posting these two covers, which I enjoyed immensely. The music, of course, is great, but I also liked seeing you giving it a personal touch. Being a self-taught instrumentalist just like you (but alas, a totally untalented one), I can easily picture the amount of time, effort and love you've put into these projects. Seeing you perform reminds me of countless hours spent in my youth, redoing takes and correcting mistakes, only to end up with little more than a half-decent result. Today, DAWs and editing software can provide a means to perfection, but also take out some of the fun, I guess. Well, you do seem to have fun, and that, my friend, makes the whole thing well worthwhile!

Regarding the specifics, I found the TB cover very inspiring. No issues with any of your selections of sounds or instruments, especially since you seem to be working with limited gear (synth-wise in particular). I like the idea of adding drums to the Finale section, which I actually found quite moving. It was also heartwarming to see you at one point, sitting at the keyboard in front of a screenshot of the TB logo.

Your take on TSODE is quite interesting. Intertwining parts of the original recording with your own sections certainly saved you a lot of work, but even in the original bits I could pick up small changes suggesting some degree of creative editing on your part. Visually, the end product looks great, as some of the video material you've assembled is stunning. Still, my favourite parts are those where we see you play, even though, from a strict performance point of view, TSODE as a whole is far less guitar-intensive and spectacular than TB.

Well, that wraps it up for me. Thanks again for posting these two covers and sharing your passion for music. I'll be further exploring your YouTube channel and Bandcamp site, where I suspect other hidden surprises are just waiting to be found.
Profile PM 
elemento188 Offline

Posted: July 04 2023, 15:31

Quote (qcfoetus @ July 04 2023, 16:50)
Quote (elemento188 @ July 01 2023, 12:28)
Far from perfect: I learned everything by myself (music theory, playing guitar, piano, producing, mixing), so I am not totally satisfied with the sound but, this is just for fun and love for this music.

Hi! Thanks for posting these two covers, which I enjoyed immensely. The music, of course, is great, but I also liked seeing you giving it a personal touch. Being a self-taught instrumentalist just like you (but alas, a totally untalented one), I can easily picture the amount of time, effort and love you've put into these projects. Seeing you perform reminds me of countless hours spent in my youth, redoing takes and correcting mistakes, only to end up with little more than a half-decent result. Today, DAWs and editing software can provide a means to perfection, but also take out some of the fun, I guess. Well, you do seem to have fun, and that, my friend, makes the whole thing well worthwhile!

Regarding the specifics, I found the TB cover very inspiring. No issues with any of your selections of sounds or instruments, especially since you seem to be working with limited gear (synth-wise in particular). I like the idea of adding drums to the Finale section, which I actually found quite moving. It was also heartwarming to see you at one point, sitting at the keyboard in front of a screenshot of the TB logo.

Your take on TSODE is quite interesting. Intertwining parts of the original recording with your own sections certainly saved you a lot of work, but even in the original bits I could pick up small changes suggesting some degree of creative editing on your part. Visually, the end product looks great, as some of the video material you've assembled is stunning. Still, my favourite parts are those where we see you play, even though, from a strict performance point of view, TSODE as a whole is far less guitar-intensive and spectacular than TB.

Well, that wraps it up for me. Thanks again for posting these two covers and sharing your passion for music. I'll be further exploring your YouTube channel and Bandcamp site, where I suspect other hidden surprises are just waiting to be found.

Thank you very much for your comments. I can see that you also have experience in music recording and understand the weeks of work it takes to make a cover of a complete album. Unfortunately, it seems that Warner Music wants to block my TSODE video. I am disputing it, but if they want, they can block it worldwide. And making cuts in that video would kill its charm. I still can't understand it; that album is available on YouTube, uploaded by various different channels.

Actually, I find DAWs quite enjoyable with the number of plugins that can be used.

Anyway, depending on what happens with the claim, I might be afraid to put effort into recording another Mike Oldfield album again.

Best regards.
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 05 2023, 07:54

Yikes, that does sound scary! I have no real experience creating and uploading videos, but perhaps reloading it in two parts (Side 1 and Side 2, though but not labelled as such) would help? Does anyone else on this forum have any ideas?
It would be a real shame to have this setback thwart your creative instincts.
Profile PM 
9 replies since July 01 2023, 12:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net