Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of a Distant Earth, Just Magic...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ratty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2005, 19:05

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 09 2004, 13:09)
To me, it only works as background music, and nothing more. I think I'll have to stick with Brian Eno and Jean Michel Jarre if I want atmosphere, after all.

I dont get it Sir M. How can you say TSODE is background music and Jarre gives you atmosphere. Surely you have got this the wrong way round???? Guess it boils down to personal taste.  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 14:26

Simply amazing! On a warm night I'll pop this into my portable cd player, pump the volume on the headphones, crack a beer and just stare at the heavens. What a magical moment in time for me!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 11:11

I purchased TSODE when i was on holiday in Spain, it took me a while to get into, my initial reaction was that no track was a stand out on it!  Now that i've heard it numerous times the standouts are Supernova, Oceania, Only time will tell, The shining ones and Crystal Clear.

It's a superb album!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 15:42

I would say that TSODE is my 4th favourite album, Amarok, Ommadawn and Five miles out ahead of it.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 22:09

TSODE is one of two Mike works I fell in love with at First Listen. There are sections throughout where his guitar is so delicately expressive it nearly aches. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it--and it's nearly 90 degrees F here at the moment and I'm in long sleeves for some reason. Hmmm..... :laugh:

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 14:37

Hello, I've just ordered the LP of Distant Earth from a guy from USA (who's had to order it from Moskow) and I'm paying 250 euro's for it. I know it's a rare vinyl version, but is this a reasonable price? Does anyone know? Anyway, I was prepared to buy it for that price as it was the last of Oldfield vinyl albums I needed for my collection, after recently buying the TBII Lp. Anyway The Album Rules! Great to see there are a lot of other young fans as well! Rock on!  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
mr tsodelover Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 22:27

I am a 100% dye-in-the-wool fan of TSODE.I think it's the greatest masterpiece that Mike has ever done..I just wish it were possible to have seen him do this in a concert.[B] :laugh:
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 23:24

WELCOME to the site mr tsodelover! hope you enjoy it here and we 'see' lots of you. TSODE is in my Top 5 after Amarok and TB.

TubularBelle

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Magellan Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 16:08

TSODE is my 2nd favourite album next to Amarok and tied with TB2. TSODE gets more play in my CD player and computer than Amarok. (Amarok is one of those albums where you have to be in a certain mood to listen through completely in a single sitting).

After reading the book and then listening to the CD, it totally transforms the experience. You pick out emotions you didn't know were there.

I can see however why many MO fans don't like TSODE... it really is a departure from everything that came before.
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 04:13

The last 'really good' MO album... And yes, here the use of synths
is a definite success. I had my doubts when I first listened to it when it came out (already ten years, can't believe it), but they were quickly dispelled. There is far more substance in it than all the later albums combined, it almost seems, and 'Let There Be Light' is an agelesss piece. It was played wonderfully by Mike during his '99 tour... oh dear, I'm getting too emotional. :)
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 11:03

Well Ive just completed listening to the album for the first time and have to say its totally totally awe-inspiring in every conceivable way.

The only weakest link was the rather aggressive final track - A New Beginning. Much as I love the African Chant from previous MO albums, this inclusion just totally upset the balance and mood of the entire album.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 14:38

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 11:03)
Well Ive just completed listening to the album for the first time and have to say its totally totally awe-inspiring in every conceivable way.

Congratulations on discovering TSODE, New Incantation. I was not so appreciative on first listen.

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 11:03)

The only weakest link was the rather aggressive final track - A New Beginning. Much as I love the African Chant from previous MO albums, this inclusion just totally upset the balance and mood of the entire album.

I usually omit "A New Beginning" like I do TBII's "Moonshine", but for not entirely similar reasons. While I now find "Moonshine" attractive enough as a stand alone piece, it seems to have no real connection to the rest of the album. With "A New Beginning" I can see how it fits TSODE, theoretically, but it's auraly jarring. I do experience a bit of listener's guilt when I skip it because, while it may not fit my aesthetic experience, it is an important element of the story being told, and thus removing it lessens the overall impact.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 15:25

For me the stand out track on TSODE is Crystal Clear, I love it.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 16:37

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 11 2007, 20:25)
For me the stand out track on TSODE is Crystal Clear

It's pretty obvious to me too.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 17:24

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 11 2007, 19:38)
I usually omit "A New Beginning" like I do TBII's "Moonshine", but for not entirely similar reasons. While I now find "Moonshine" attractive enough as a stand alone piece, it seems to have no real connection to the rest of the album. With "A New Beginning" I can see how it fits TSODE, theoretically, but it's auraly jarring. I do experience a bit of listener's guilt when I skip it because, while it may not fit my aesthetic experience, it is an important element of the story being told, and thus removing it lessens the overall impact.

I know what you mean about the guilt-trip leaving out tracks from awesome albums such as this.

I can understand the contextual necessity of "New Beginning" for the continued unravelling of the album's journey into whatever one's imagination cares to take it, and I guess after repeat playings  I will begin to love the track and thus the satisfaction with this magnificent opus will be complete.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 17:32

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 11 2007, 21:37)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 11 2007, 20:25)
For me the stand out track on TSODE is Crystal Clear

It's pretty obvious to me too.

I think I'm going to have to re-play "Crystal Clear" a few times before I really begin to love it.

Don't get me wrong, its a great very moving theme, but didn't hit me between the eyes first time round as "Oceania","Only Time Will Tell" and "Ascension" did earlier today.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 23:22

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 22:32)
I think I'm going to have to re-play "Crystal Clear" a few times before I really begin to love it.

I was having a sad little joke there with The Big BellEnd. My actual favourite section is Let There Be Light (which may not be Crystal Clear to everyone else of course.)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 02:07

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 11 2007, 23:22)
I was having a sad little joke there with The Big BellEnd.

Not "sad", Alan, just... subtle. That's right - I didn't get it. But then, I've only just got Delfin's reference to Amarok in Why So Quiet??.

And if we're now talking about personal fave's, I'm currently enamored with "Tubular World".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Moonwatch Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 14:32

For me, the stand-out track has to be Magellan. This song really stirs the emotions up in me.
A New Beginning has some resonance with me as I was born in Kenya and the singing is really quite nostalgic, to me it actually fits quite well at the end of the album.

--------------
The last that ever she saw him, carried away by a moonlight shadow...
Profile PM 
aluinie Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 13:19

One of Mikes best albums from start to almost the end. Like others i am not keen on the ending of it but apart from that it is excellant.
Profile PM 
59 replies since June 18 2003, 03:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net