Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Shadows< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 22:10

Well, where's the discussion about the Shadows? Do they kick ass, or what?
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 16:52

All right, this doesn't really seem to get started, so I'll throw in some points for discussion. 'Four Winds', from 6:14 onward (after the Sitar & Tabla bit), is a pure tribute to The Shadows (although still in Mike style of course). It begins with the slapped tremoloed guitar which is so characteristic a feature of many Shadows songs. I know Mike has used this sound on a few other occasions, but I can't seem to remember exactly where. Does anyone know?
Then, of course, there's 'Wonderful Land'. I discovered that this is a Shadows tune only when I was on holiday in Ireland, driving through the Kerry hills, which is indeed a wonderful land! I was hitchhiking with a couple of guys from Austria who had already picked up an American hippie (now that really was a hippie) and the stereo played his tape of 60's music, when suddenly there came the sounds of 'Wonderful Land'! And, guess what, JUST at that point one of the Austrian guys turned it off!!! frown But anyway, the original, believe it or not, is (IMHO) every bit as good as Mike's version. And they've got loads of other killer tracks, too. I recommend a disc which bears the stupid name 'The Gold Collection' but contains, with a few exception, only tracks that, I guess, people who like 'Wonderful Land' will like. So, isn't there anybody out there who has an opinion about The Shadows?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 19:06

I guess if I felt like arguing, I could say that bit of The Four Winds, being 'West', was really inspired by American musicians like Duane Eddy and The Ventures (which it could be) wink

But no, The Shads were a big influence on Mike in his early days, I believe, as they were on many guitarists who were starting around the time that he did. Mike, like Mark Knopfler, bought himself a red Fender Stratocaster guitar. I guess he might be a big Dire Straits fan, but I think it's more likely that, Like Mark, he was attracted to that guitar because it somehow reminded him of Hank Marvin (shadows' guitarist, for those who don't know, who was famous for playing a red Fender Strat). He bought that later on, but still...

That twangy type of sound turns up on 'The Lake' from Discovery as well as 'Mastermind' from The Millennium Bell (although that's also a James Bond theme influence there), and probably in a few other places.

As for what I think of The Shadows, well...I saw hank Marvin play once (alongside a whole load of other artists, some great some not...) and most of the tunes he played were stuck in my head for weeks. Annoyingly catchy stuff, I suppose wink
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 03:13

Of course the Shadows were for a period of time the back-up group for a certain singer named Cliff, but I'm not going into that.

I heard Mike's version of Wonderful land first on the Complete Mike Oldfield, and then came across the Shadows' version on a CD of number ones from the 60s. I have to agree with Archangel Foster here, in that the original is every bit as good as the cover. It is an instrumental track, not really what I was expecting from a 60s group, and it is very good.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 13:34

You mentioning the Shadows being the backing band for Cliff Richard strikes a note in me. Didn't we have that somewhere else as well, the same artist releasing both instrumentals and pop songs with guest singers?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 19:31

Yes, but I can't possibly think where... wink
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 17:55

Tend to agree with your discription, Archangel...they do kick arse, no doubt about it, but on the other hand they were a pain in the arse for those who were fed up with the dum-de-dum-de-dum-guitar-extravaganza...listen up, mates, as the shadows were the real deviants of yore and possesed a subtle air of intimidation...splendid songs, decent music or, for all the teenyboppers round here: All killer,no filler! (no offence meant, though!;)

The aforementioned "Gold collection" is embarrassing...should be sold in the supermarkets   :laugh:
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 18:21

I see with pleasure that you are already going about your task of wringing some anarchic mayhem over this sometimes all-too-tidy place. (ha! ) :p  Right on!

As for the twangy sound, I've since realized it also appears in Crises (the track). And probably in some other tunes.  :D
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 18:44

Yep...BTW, I'm trying to figure out what to post about Phil "All of my life" Collins...any suggestions?
:p
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 18:50

Don't want to slag him, because he's a damn good....ehm wait for it...drummer, but he deserves to be mentioned because of his fine and flawless pop tunes and the "You're fired"- phrase...did you purchase your "Phil Collins watch, BTW...?"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 19:08

Quote (Bonsignore @ Nov. 16 2003, 18:50)
he's a damn good....ehm wait for it...drummer

Those are almost exactly Mike's words when asked about Phil Collins!  :D
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 19:22

Nowadays people seem to forget that he once was an excellent drummer...and still is! To accuse him for all the lovely tunes he's written would be ridiculus, but he's out of favor with me because of the watch- that's insipid!  :(
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 11:19

Hank Marvin and the Shadows are great in my book,if you love Mike,then you have to praise any group that made as many instrumentals as Hank and the Shadows,he is without doubt an influence on Mike and Mark Knopfler,they have both said so in interviews,of course Mike did his own homage with his version of Wonderful Land,and Hank also did an instrumental version of the aptly named Moonlight Shadow,which has a very cool solo.Indeed Mike has also said that Hank Marvin is the only guitar player he would loved to meet,although they have met since he said that.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2003, 05:24

Mike plays like Hank on The Lake on the album 'Discovery', for a few seconds!
Profile PM 
13 replies since Oct. 30 2000, 22:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net