Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Rise & Fall of Mike's Inner Boogie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 25 2008, 01:21

One of the things about Music of The Spheres that reminds me of MO's early works, is the lack of danceability. Or, perhaps a better term would be 'swing' or 'groove'? In any case, the more pronounced rhythmicity that emerged from Incantations onward was suddenly abandoned in the last album. Of course, that has a lot to do with its orchestral/classical structure. But I do find it interesting how Mike seemed to embrace dance rhythms in much of his later music. There are definite grooves (and I'm not entirely sure I'm using the correct term, here) in Earth Moving, The Songs of Distant Earth, Tr3s Lunas, and Light + Shade, for example. The disco-esque "Guilty" doesn't seem so out-of-the-blue in this context, though I imagine it was quite startling to fans in 1979. For me, both sides are brilliant, and I'm a little surprised that I apparently love the swingin' MO and the non-swingin' MO equally.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2008, 01:51

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 25 2008, 01:21)
In any case, the more pronounced rhythmicity that emerged from Incantations onward

In the case of Incantations it has always seemed to me a case of "much sound and fury, signifying nothing". I agree, Sweetpea, that Music of the Spheres lacks something, but I don't think it's danceability; I think it's that "post-exegesis" feel, where Mike is in tune with emotions and isn't afraid to express them.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2008, 07:23

I think what is surprising perhaps is how easily he has moved from some of the "writing to rhythms" stuff featured on Light & Shade.To some of the more melodic and pre-structured material on MOTS.Taking something like Our Father into consideration for instance from L&S..You know I`d say it`s a fairly safe bet to say listening to that piece that Mike laid down the chord pattern and drum rhythm first there.Then just basicaly layered stuff on top of it.I can`t for one moment believe he was walking around with that (lack of) melody in his head for a while,and then felt the urge to get it down on the fruity loops.All the main guitar figure really does on that track is signify the chord changes to a certain extent.

That said rhythms of a sort,tubularesque and otherwise are still very prevelant on MOTS.And would therefore imo still have greatly influenced and inspired some of Mike`s counter melodies that he came up with for the piece.Obviously they`re rhythms of a different style and structure,and in general there`s a lot more variation and depth within each track I suppose.You know at the same time he was still sitting down at his computer piecing it all together wasn`t he!?Yes it`s less groovy due to the nature of the work,I`d wholly agree with that.But perhaps the initial compostional style and in essence structuring of MOTS,is maybe not as radicaly different to L&S as some would think?...I think what I`m saying is whilst a lot of the melodies on MOTS,are very nice and generaly stronger than a good deal of his more recent material.They still imo fall a long way short of a lot of his very earliest material pre-Incantations.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 03:55

Mike has written some really energetic music in the 80s, very dance worthy, but it is also nice to hear more classical pieces such as mots, that music has such an emotional tug that cannot be articulated, and drew my attention to his music.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 07:19

I have been listening to MOTS a lot recently.Specifically the live version which to me is the better version and again i am struck by just how good it is.
 OK we all want to see/hear Mike pick up an electric guitar and use it in anger but if Mike wants to continue in a classical vein then that's fine with me.After all he has already given us do much good guitar based stuff that we can't really complain.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 07:29

As I see it Mike's "inner boogie" made its debut on Ommadawn and appeared for the last time on Discovery (and a little bit on "Wind Chimes"). Prior to that (TB and HR) the music was a bit stuttering and lacks a rhythmic backbone so to speak. From Earth Moving and on the rhythms became less organic and the drum patterns are less intergrated in the overall arrangements. To me it seems like Mike's inner boogie requires a professional drummer in order to come out.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 22 2009, 05:07

:D catch mike rocking and working that guitar in tb2 at edinburgh, and grooving smoothly at tb3 at horse guards parade, and the man still has the moves and mojo!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 13:07

Hello Ex. I have seen the aforementioned video concerts. While they are very entertaining, my only complaint is that some of it is mimed, but that's to be expected. RE: Mike still has the moves, etc, where did you see him? If he came out recently I would have heard about it(here of course). Well, whatever. MO is a fine musician of the highest caliber. A pillar of the community. A guy who knows what it's like to have long hair(I never could grow mine that long, even young, fine strands=weak follicles I guess). Peace,
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 15:24

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 25 2008, 01:51)
In the case of Incantations it has always seemed to me a case of "much sound and fury, signifying nothing". I agree, Sweetpea, that Music of the Spheres lacks something, but I don't think it's danceability; I think it's that "post-exegesis" feel, where Mike is in tune with emotions and isn't afraid to express them.

I think Incantations is a substantial work - a landmark in the artist's journey as well as a major musical entity in itself - so I can't be so dismissive of it. On the other hand, I do tend to listen to my favorite parts rather than the entirety. But I disagree with your 'fear of expressing emotions' theory. I think MOTS' distinctiveness has much to do with maturity and tastefulness. Restraint, opposed to inability.

Quote (Dirk Star @ Dec. 26 2008, 07:23)
I think what is surprising perhaps is how easily he has moved from some of the "writing to rhythms" stuff featured on Light & Shade.To some of the more melodic and pre-structured material on MOTS.Taking something like Our Father into consideration for instance from L&S..You know I`d say it`s a fairly safe bet to say listening to that piece that Mike laid down the chord pattern and drum rhythm first there.Then just basicaly layered stuff on top of it.I can`t for one moment believe he was walking around with that (lack of) melody in his head for a while,and then felt the urge to get it down on the fruity loops.All the main guitar figure really does on that track is signify the chord changes to a certain extent.
That said rhythms of a sort,tubularesque and otherwise are still very prevelant on MOTS.And would therefore imo still have greatly influenced and inspired some of Mike`s counter melodies that he came up with for the piece.Obviously they`re rhythms of a different style and structure,and in general there`s a lot more variation and depth within each track I suppose.You know at the same time he was still sitting down at his computer piecing it all together wasn`t he!?Yes it`s less groovy due to the nature of the work,I`d wholly agree with that.But perhaps the initial compostional style and in essence structuring of MOTS,is maybe not as radicaly different to L&S as some would think?...I think what I`m saying is whilst a lot of the melodies on MOTS,are very nice and generaly stronger than a good deal of his more recent material.They still imo fall a long way short of a lot of his very earliest material pre-Incantations.

While I enjoy Light + Shade quite a lot, I see what you mean about its simplicity when compared to MOTS. When held side by side, they hint at the broadness of MO's abilities. At the same time, there's a bit of similarity, isn't there?

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 04 2009, 03:55)
Mike has written some really energetic music in the 80s, very dance worthy, but it is also nice to hear more classical pieces such as mots, that music has such an emotional tug that cannot be articulated, and drew my attention to his music, deb

I was very surprised when I first heard MO's Pop music, since I was only really familiar with Ommadawn. I don't think he was completely successful with songs, but there are some wonderful things to come from that time: "Five Miles Out", "Moonlight Shadow", and "Heaven's Open", for example. And I think "Heaven's Open" comes close to matching the euphoric highs on some of the instrumentals.

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 04 2009, 07:19)
I have been listening to MOTS a lot recently.Specifically the live version which to me is the better version and again i am struck by just how good it is.

I'd really like to hear the live MOTS. From others' comments, it sounds like it's worth having.

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 04 2009, 07:29)
As I see it Mike's "inner boogie" made its debut on Ommadawn and appeared for the last time on Discovery (and a little bit on "Wind Chimes"). Prior to that (TB and HR) the music was a bit stuttering and lacks a rhythmic backbone so to speak. From Earth Moving and on the rhythms became less organic and the drum patterns are less intergrated in the overall arrangements. To me it seems like Mike's inner boogie requires a professional drummer in order to come out.

Now you're making me rethink these rhythms, Lars. I hadn't been too concerned with organicity, and perhaps my idea of 'grooves' was a bit vague.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 24 2009, 00:52

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 23 2009, 15:24)
Now you're making me rethink these rhythms, Lars. I hadn't been too concerned with organicity, and perhaps my idea of 'grooves' was a bit vague.

It depends on what you mean by "groove" of course. Personally I find it hard to make programmed (computer-generated) rhythms swing. I think the combination of programmed and hand-played rhythms on an album like FMO really grooves. Just listen to the first two minutes of Taurus II! It sucks you in. The Linn drums are slighly ahead of the drummer all the time. And this affects the rest of the players too.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Dec. 25 2008, 01:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net