Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The rediscovery of QE2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Lars Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 01 2003, 09:01

QE2 still going strong i thougt, but why?
After 15 years of neglecting the vinyl record in the,what appeared to be a not very attractive sleeve, i decided to take a better look at it.
In the meantime listening to the sountracks Taurus 1 and Sheba i knew at once what makes this album so special, it must be the the rythm, the combination of bass and drums.The sleeve revealed that MO was on bass of course and never knew that before, Phil Collins on drums, how about that.
In combination with Maggie Riley's vocals this album is a real Q(ueen) E2.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 03 2003, 12:34

I really like the guitar playing on QE2 - it's very accurate but still very exciting sounding. There's also the small fact that the album opens with the sound of a mandolin...no wonder I like it! ;)

I do like Phil Collins's drums as well, the playing has a lot of energy and power to it (and that dull tone he gets makes it sound like he's really smashing the *ahem* out of them), much like all the drums on the album.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 06:29

QE2 was actually my first Mike Oldfield album ever... I bought it about a year ago, having that far mainly listened to David Bowie and Kraftwerk (in both cases mainly their instrumental stuff). I saw the album on a discount shelf (this was just before last years re-releases), and it was the first time I actually test-listened to an album. I was attracted to it because of the name (I'm an Ocean liner buff), and to the artwork (yes, I actually like it). First the mandolin intro of Taurus 1 started... then in a few minutes the song really kicked in! I was totally amazed. I immidiately bought the album, and I must have listened to nothing else than it for the next month or so.

Naturally I later bought more Mike's albums, but I still think that as an album, QE2 is his best offering. There are better songs on other albums (Platinum, Taurus II, Crises), but as an album QE2 is simply the best.
Profile PM WEB 
Lars Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 11:07

[QUOTE]I actually test-listened to an album. I was attracted to it because of the name (I'm an Ocean liner buff), and to the artwork (yes, I actually like it).

This time i take a real close look at the artwork especially the inner sleeve, Sysio.
You can see the main propulsion of the ship.
Since I was with the merchant marine once, i do recognize a steamboiler and turbines.
In 1986 the steamegines of QE2 (the ship) were completely changed by a diesel/electric propulsion.
QE2 (the album) was made in 1980 so the artwork was correct, historical spoken.
Some artwork needs time to be apreciated and yes together with the music its OK
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 03:17

In 1986 the steamegines of QE2 (the ship) were completely changed by a diesel/electric propulsion.
QE2 (the album) was made in 1980 so the artwork was correct, historical spoken.
Some artwork needs time to be apreciated and yes together with the music its OK

Here it probably should be noted that I bought the 1984 CD, which unfortunately does not feature those inside-sleeve artworks. I've seen them on Mike Oldfield Discography (http://www.rcarter.34sp.com/oldfield/qe2lp.html), though. Just as question, is the porthole in the LP cover an actual hole in the cover, or just an oval of paint?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 06:47

It's an actual hole cut into the cover - only some LPs had it.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 01 2003, 09:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net