Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: the point of tres lunas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2006, 12:56

Tansy's response is much better than mine! I wish I'd said that!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 17:23

Quote (The Bell(end) @ April 06 2006, 22:22)
I got it so that I would link the Tr3s Lunas music with memories of the game. (after reading something Alan posted ) It's also a healthy alternative to Splinter cell and True Crime NY ;)

£11.75 was a bargain too! :D

I'm not really one who goes in for computer games in a big way, I find the vast majority of them too violent :( .  I did however get the  Demo to download on my Mum's PC,I did  donload the demo version on mine, but the colours came out all wrong, gives me a headache to look at.  Did e-mail Colin, he said it might be my graphics card is old, I think my PC is a mishmash of various components (it just about handles 1mB Broadband).  I do have a more modern graphics card,did try ,and fit it,but not being a computer expert I didn't know how to install it into the computer's memory  :/ .  
On the demo version I enjoy travelling through the relative dimensions of time and space (sounds like Doctor Who).  For £11.95 it sounds excellent value for money  :) , It must cost upwards of £30 for other computer games.  If only I could get  bloody grapics card to work, Oh well buggered if I know      
:laugh: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 01:22

Quote (Alan D @ April 07 2006, 17:36)
Quote (DanishDonJuan @ April 07 2006, 19:59)
I only played the demo, but was not impressed with the graphics and controls, which i found tedious. ...
But there is no way that this game has reached the level of quality his music has.

The Tr3s Lunas demo is feeble, and a very poor advertisement for the game. It really is impossible to form a valid judgement of the game on the basis of that very poor demo (which I suspect only exists so that you can check that the game will run on your computer).

Those of us who know the game well would suggest that the game is an attempt to extend the capabilities of his art - not to replace or supplant his music.

Alan, I might, for once, take exception with your statement. I found the demo after some mention was made on alt.music.mikeoldfield a few years back. I'd guess that this was one of the early demos, judging by the possible explorations mentioned on the critiques of later [?] demos. It was limited, but created a desire to go farther.

In the US, it was a bit more difficult to find the game. I spent several trips to London, haunting Oxford St from Picadilly to Park Lane, looking for Tres Lunas. Even the young lads in the Virgin store in Picadilly Circus had no clue what I was talking about. Nor did the folk at a few dozen other music, or computer shops.

It took me two years of searching, to get the game, register it and find out what I had been missing.

One slight downside was that the names of the two games, Tres Lunas and Maestro were often grouped into MusicVR in the states, so I spent a good deal of my time confused. However, I used all three terms in the UK, when looking for the games.

Something in the demo that I had (and I've now had two different ones, but not the full-featured demo, that many talk about) caught my imagination and fueled my desire to see, hear and do more.

I do not regret the $ that I spent, and have enjoyed both the game, and the accompanying music.

Yes, it's filled with "chill out" spots, but there is ALWAYS the sense that I'm going to encounter something totally new.

Hunt
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 03:49

Quote (the_bulldog @ June 08 2006, 06:22)
Something in the demo that I had (and I've now had two different ones, but not the full-featured demo, that many talk about) caught my imagination and fueled my desire to see, hear and do more.

Ah, I should explain why I made my comment about the demo. You're the kind of person (as I am, as María is, as Gary is, etc) who was certain to get hooked on MusicVR whenever or however they encountered it. I too saw the demo and thought "I want MORE of this!!!".

But in hindsight, I think the demo gives no glimpse of the richness and depth of the game, nor of the enormous quantity of music it contains. It hooked people like you and me, but we were easy game. I question whether it would do much to entice people who are merely wondering whether Music VR is for them. In fact, a lot of negative comments about Tres Lunas are made by people who've only seen the demo.

By contrast, the demo for Maestro really DOES gives a good indication of what the game is like (though it led me to expect a lot more music in the game than there actually is, which is one of the disappointments of Maestro).
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 11:34

Quote (Alan D @ June 08 2006, 03:49)
Quote (the_bulldog @ June 08 2006, 06:22)

Ah, I should explain why I made my comment about the demo. You're the kind of person (as I am, as María is, as Gary is, etc) who was certain to get hooked on MusicVR whenever or however they encountered it. I too saw the demo and thought "I want MORE of this!!!".

But in hindsight, I think the demo gives no glimpse of the richness and depth of the game, nor of the enormous quantity of music it contains. It hooked people like you and me, but we were easy game. I question whether it would do much to entice people who are merely wondering whether Music VR is for them. In fact, a lot of negative comments about Tres Lunas are made by people who've only seen the demo.

By contrast, the demo for Maestro really DOES gives a good indication of what the game is like (though it led me to expect a lot more music in the game than there actually is, which is one of the disappointments of Maestro).

Alan, for me, the "hook" was the music with the rose or spikey ball avatar - variation of the same music heard briefly when in entering Dali-Temple World after Mantis Island Ring. I'd still love to find the complete musical piece someplace in Tr3s Lunas. I may try to extract it from the demo, which I still have on a backup someplace. Though I've never used the ogg software, if the demo is in that format, it should be possible. I'd be interested to know the thinking of NOT using that music in the actual game.

Along those lines, does anybody know the progression of the music and MusicVR? By this, I mean did MO write the music, then work with Colin & Neek to create worlds and activities around it, or did the game take shape, and Mike just wrote the music to fit. Unfortunately, I have never seen some of the interviews, etc. done early on in MusicVR creation/release. If you, or someone else has some links to the earlier AV files, or audio files of Mike commenting on MusicVR/Tr3s Lunas/Maestro, I'd be very interested in getting them.

TIA
Hunt
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 14:55

Quote (the_bulldog @ June 08 2006, 16:34)
Along those lines, does anybody know the progression of the music and MusicVR? By this, I mean did MO write the music, then work with Colin & Neek to create worlds and activities around it, or did the game take shape, and Mike just wrote the music to fit. Unfortunately, I have never seen some of the interviews, etc. done early on in MusicVR creation/release.

Richard Carter did an interview with Colin and you can read it  here.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 02:42

Quote (torbenyj @ April 03 2003, 14:51)
You have paid money for nothing

I didn't pay anything for the game (as it's now available at no charge) and I feel really guilty about it! When I first heard about this MVR project, I was skeptical, but Alan D's descriptions lured me in. I now think it's a wonderful concept - imaginatively executed - and a welcome alternative to the run-of-the-mill majority of games.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 03:00

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 23 2007, 07:42)
... a welcome alternative to the run-of-the-mill majority of games.

I mustn't drag this off-topic - but I need to ask if you've played 'Uru'?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:51

Quote (Alan D @ July 23 2007, 03:00)
Quote (Sweatpea @ July 23 2007, 07:42)
... a welcome alternative to the run-of-the-mill majority of games.

I mustn't drag this off-topic - but I need to ask if you've played 'Uru'?

I haven't. From what I've heard, that's a sequel to 'Myst', no? I played some 'Myst' many years ago, but I never had my own copy, unfortunately.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 16:20

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 23 2007, 18:51)
From what I've heard, that's a sequel to 'Myst', no?

No - although it's related to the Myst series it's a kind of offshoot: it really is nothing like those Myst games as an imaginative experience. I'm not much interested in the Myst series, to tell the truth. But Uru captivated me for months, and gave me the most powerful sense of exploring a beautiful and mysterious virtual world that I've ever experienced. (The music - and there is loads of it - is so atmospheric that I spent weeks extracting all the sound files from the program and mixing them together to make a complete Uru album so I could have it playing around the house.)

The downside is that there are various ludicrous and obscure puzzles to solve (that's really the only similarity with Myst), but a walkthrough gets you through those.
The website is here:
http://uru.us.ubi.com/
but the screenshots give no sense of the immersive character of the game, nor of the sheer imaginative vastness of the entire construction, nor of the tremendous sense of 'being there'.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 24 2007, 02:33

Quote (Alan D @ July 23 2007, 16:20)
I'm not much interested in the Myst series, to tell the truth.

I was plenty interested in Myst at the time, but many of the puzzles were too hard for me.  :laugh:

Uru looks visually stunning. I imagine it's the sort of game to keep one up till the wee hours.

--------------
Profile PM 
30 replies since April 02 2003, 13:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net