Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Piltdown Man< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 07:15

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 21 2005, 11:03)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 20 2005, 21:39)
I know the  Piltdown Man section appears on the 1971 Demos, without the growling, grunting and howling and scream.  I don't know when the "vocals" were added, if it was a spur of the moment thing after a drinking session.

Virgin asked Mike for some vocals on the record because they were nervous about an all-instrumental album.  The yelling and grunting on Piltdown Man was his compromise.  The first of many for Mr Branson.....

Jules

I remember reading about Mike being asked to put vocals onto Tubular Bells, and Piltdown Man being the compromise.  Weird then how The Sailors Hornpipe did originally include vocals  byViv Stanshall , and Virgin felt this version was too risky to put on an album by a then relatively "unknown " musician :/.

No negative effect on sales though as  Tubular Bells has become the biggest selling instrumental album of all time , 16 million copies sold and still counting  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 07:43

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 22 2005, 07:15)
Weird then how The Sailors Hornpipe did originally include vocals  byViv Stanshall , and Virgin felt this version was too risky to put on an album by a then relatively "unknown " musician :/.

Well to be fair, when they asked for "vocals" I don't think they were expecting either Mike having a primal scream fit, or a very very drunken Viv Stanshall going off on a mad flight of fancy!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
21 replies since Nov. 21 2000, 00:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net