Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Perfect Alarm?, What CD gets you going?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Thin Man Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 03 2002, 05:41

Guitars is the perfect CD to put in a CD alarm clock.  The two minutes of Muse gently bring me back from the land of sleep, then the driving Cochise provides the surge of energy to get me out of bed.  What does it for you?

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 03 2002, 10:45

I used to use the beginning of Time by Pink Floyd - where all the clocks are ticking and suddenly all start ringing.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 12:33

my alarm clock has a carrilon on it. it sounds like the one here on campus, but then it almost sounds like the ending of Tubular Bells 3, only not as awesome.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 13:57

A gently tolling Tubular Bell which gets progressively louder might work, though I've never tried it. Perhaps this could be Mike's next project - now he's had his go at creating music to get people relaxed, perhaps he ought to have a go at creating something to wake people up (though perhaps that was the purpose of the opening to Amarok...).
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 17:16

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Nov. 03 2002, 12:45)
I used to use the beginning of Time by Pink Floyd - where all the clocks are ticking and suddenly all start ringing.

Really?
The sound engineer for Dark Side of the Moon(Alan Parsons) recorded each clock separately....

My perfect alarm would be Out of Mind... :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 17:19

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 05 2002, 15:57)
...perhaps he ought to have a go at creating something to wake people up (though perhaps that was the purpose of the opening to Amarok...).

Once my boyfriend(who has become a great Oldfield fan -'cause of me) put Amarok for me to wake me up! :cool:

And it works very very well!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2002, 04:16

Well, I once put Amarok on to relax too! It worked as well, I don't know how.

I've never needed an alarm clock, but Far Above the Clouds would be perfect. BANG!!!!!! It wakes me up whenever I listen to it. The Amarok begining would also work.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Cloth ears
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 07 2002, 20:19

I’d suggest using Millennium Bell to wake you up.  I know for sure that if I woke up listening to it, I couldn’t get up quick enough, to hit that stop button.

OOOOoooo that’s gonna give me nightmares now.
TubularFamilyMan Offline

Posted: July 01 2005, 09:51

The problem with a Mike Oldfield alarm is that you wouldn't want to turn it off!

Of course, very effective at waking you up, especially Guitar tracks.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 01 2005, 10:18

Several years ago, someone made a bowdlerized version of "Amarok" with all the discord taken out. I'm guessing they took Thatcher out as well. Such a soothing Amarok might be good for going to sleep.

Now, if someone could do the same sort of thing in reverse: take the regular "Amarok" and actually increase the discord/noise/controversy (think of having the jarring guitar blats in the first parts a lot louder, and having Thatcher speeches in more sections).... this might make a real alarm, wot?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 01 2005, 20:27

Quote (hiawatha @ July 01 2005, 23:18)
Now, if someone could do the same sort of thing in reverse: take the regular "Amarok" and actually increase the discord/noise/controversy (think of having the jarring guitar blats in the first parts a lot louder, and having Thatcher speeches in more sections).... this might make a real alarm, wot?

It would give half the people in this forum nightmares!!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Locutus Offline

Posted: July 02 2005, 06:18

Quote (raven4x4x @ July 01 2005, 20:27)
It would give half the people in this forum nightmares!!

hey..earth moving gave me nightmares without engineering :p
guitars is good, but it gets in the ear 2 fast..i wouldnt notice it in the morning.
how bout that easy going tune from hergest ridge (guitar+horn+oboe) as a wake up call?
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 00:10

Dude my alarm would so totataly be Dark Star. Just that begining bass then... screaching guitar, would so be the way to start the day.

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 09:07

The very idea of waking up to anything other than bird calls or somebody gently whispering "I've brought you a cup of tea" is horrifying to me.  I would never risk growing to dislike a favourite piece of music by having it as my alarm call!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 10:23

I just use my good old alarm from my phone, i would'nt want to wake up to MO, then have to turn it off because it might wake my wife, when i listen to MO, i want to hear the whole thing.
But i do like listening to relaxing music to fall asleep to, and MO is good for that, also a nice Mark Knopfler instrumental works too.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 11:19

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Sep. 27 2005, 10:23)
But i do like listening to relaxing music to fall asleep to,

I don't have any records that I consider bland enough that they don't engage my attention and keep me awake!

I need cathedral quiet to sleep well.  I rarely get it.  And I rarely get a decent night's sleep either!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 11:30

Try The Killing Fields, i find that bland, i think i have only heard 2 times, and i have had it for over 10 years :O
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:39

Now that I think about it, Sigur Rós's "Takk..." must be the perfect Saturday morning album. I have never tried it, though.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:08

The best song for wake up is "Out of shight" :p  :p  :p  :p
Profile PM 
18 replies since Nov. 03 2002, 05:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net