Posted: Sep. 21 2008, 08:00

Damn good shot! Fingers crossed!

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2008, 13:36

Well, I sent that letter to their marketing e-mail on Sept. 13.  No response.  I guess this particular message-in-a-bottle isn't going to be found.   Damn it.

But always hopeful.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 08:00

I think all of us on here would buy it like a shot!Another idea would be in the vein of the Sony Legacy series.Have one cd of the remix and as a bonus disc the original (and by far best)mix.
 This would serve 2 functions to us as fans.Firstly it would provide a good quality cd of the first mix without the need to denoise it (and all the other technical jiggery pokery that needs to be done) and secondly all those who claim to hear no significant diferences would be able to hear them in glorious stereophinc sound (but can also be played in mono at a pinch)without all the pops and crackles.
 My own copy is very poor quality.Real shame that there was an oil crisis happening when the original was being pressed,the upshot of which was the quality of the vinyl was invariably crap!
 Of course ther is always the persistant rumour that was thse tracks were erased as stated in the interview with Mike in the Boxed booklet.But as other info in there was also 'hyped' (see the story about Mike and Paddy M 'coming up with' the pipe and guitar section for Ommadawn while p*ssed.The tune itself had been around sice at least 1968 as proved by the Children of The Sun deluxe edition-A Sad Song For Rosie)it's possible that the original mix is still in existance.
We live in hope. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 15:07

@ The Caveman: usually, releases like Sony's Legacy Editions or Universal's Deluxe Editions are done with the full approval of the involved artist(s) and the record companies apparently cannot release them without such approval... that's why it took so long for the APP's Tales of Mystery and Imagination to be released! ;) Mike's disapproval for the original mix of HR is, I think, well-known and well-documented. So, I wouldn't want to sound excessively pessimistic (I'm not, by my own nature), but IMHO a 2-CD Deluxe Edition or Legacy Edition of HR is unlikely to appear in the near future.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 16:00

MFSL's edition of "Tales" was released in 1994, so I don't know how you feel it "took so long".  It most certainly WAS released with the full approval of Parsons and the record company (which, at the time, happened to be Mercury).

Whether MO disapproves of the original HR or not is quite arbitrary.  He currently doesn't own the rights to the album.  Therefore, it's not his decision.  However, in the interest of fostering or continuing an atmosphere of goodwill with any particular artist, a company will USUALLY abide by the artist's wishes.

As far as MO's feelings about HR being "well-known and well-documented"... I have learned over a long period of time to take such things with a HUGE grain of salt.  Just consider some of the things MO has said to the media over the years.  Baffling (and that's putting it politely).

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 18:45

I wasn't talking about the MFSL release of Tales. I was talking about the 2007 Deluxe Edition release by Universal/Mercury, which included both mixes of the album (the original 1975 mix and Parsons' 1987 remix with additional recordings) on two CDs. It took long to be released because Parsons was apparently embarassed in releasing the original mix together with the remix (indeed, he approved MFSL's release of the original mix on its own), as the mixes were too different from each other (sonically and otherwise). What finally convinced him to release it was only the fact that Tales was included in the whole plan of remastered reissues (with bonus tracks) of the whole APP catalogue. At least this is what I've read at the time.

Regarding HR, Mike O. may not own the rights to the album, but I guess he'd certainly get to have his say if anyone officially released the original mix without his explicit permission. And if they did, he would most probably veto the release.

As for his own statements on HR, I too have learned to take Mike O.'s judgements on his own work not too seriously, especially considering the fact that he seems to contradict himself every single time he talks about a past album of his, even from an interview to another. But he always appeared (to me) to have shown a certain dislike of HR. While a number of fans consider it one of his 1970s (and not only) masterpieces, he apparently doesn't. In at least one occasion (I think it was "Mike Oldfield's 10 favourite tracks"), he dismissed it as just a passing phase between TB and Ommadawn. Obviously, I cannot say for certain whether this dislike depends on the mood he was in when he originally recorded it, on his lack of appreciation of the original mix, or on whatever else. I just seem to have gathered, from what Mike O. has said about HR from time to time, a sense that he isn't particularily keen on that album. ;) So, if anyone asked him to approve a release of both mixes of the album together (and as you, Bassman, pointed out, they really should ask him, even if they're not obliged to), I have some really strong doubts that he would approve such a release. Maybe he could do a new remix including all the parts that the fans are asking him to include, but I don't think he would be willing to release the 1974 original mix of HR and the remix. That's why I'm pessimistic about a possible Deluxe Edition of it.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 19:21

It IS entirely likely that Virgin/EMI still grant MO some sort of honorary veto power over his back catalogue.  Which would certainly explain why no rarities collection has ever appeared.  But this is a perfect example of why it can be dangerous to allow an artist carte blanche control over their reissues.  MO is simply not capable of being objective with his past work.  By virtue of being the creator of it, he brings to his own awareness of it all the grief or joy that went into it's creation.  Can you imagine how nicely the 2000 remasters would have worked out if the consulting team making the decisions had been the punters like you and I?

Well, regardless of who controls the vaults, they have only themselves to blame for the proliferation of grey-area releases in the marketplace.  If they wanted to put an end to the glut of dubious-quality product out there, they only need to ask the fans how to go about it.

Frustrating.

--------------
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 19:38

I have it!
Profile PM 
48 replies since Nov. 14 2006, 06:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net