[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The original mix, Who has it digitally?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Morti Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 06:15

Hello.

I've bought myself a copy of the Hergest Ridge LP with the original non-Boxed mix on it. I'm liking it, but unfortunately the record is somewhat damaged. It mostly plays fine but it cracks and jumps in a couple of places which is highly irritating.

Does anyone have a quality recording of the original Hergest Ridge in some kind of digital media? PM me if so. In case it's illegal this isn't a request for someone to send it to me, morally I fail to see where there'd be an issue were I to do so though since I have the original LP right here.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2007, 04:27

What I've been trying to do.....if I can get around to it is buy a 1974 cassette version of "Ridge". No pops and clicks but the tape hiss can be managed easily. Then make a .wav file from it. The CD version of "ridge" gets a thumb up and a thumb down from me. The original tape(s) must have had degraded over the years by the time it was made into a CD.....usually the tracks on the extreme edges are ruined or damaged. It was damn nice of MO to go into the studio and re-do some guitar parts and add extra vocals etc. to cover up the lost tracks. One in particular that was lost making the CD was a nice acoustic solo part. So it gets a thumb up for that effort put into the project. But the thumb down is for some very silly vocal parts that were not on the LP and a few other things that bug me.  I will ALWAYS prefer the original 1974 LP mix. The CD, while sort of a "remake" in some ways........is inferior.
But you should do what I'm thinking of.....get on Ebay or somewhere and find a 1974 cassette. Play it once into your PC, then package it like the Holy Grail in plastic bags and keep it safe! The LP I have is quite noisy. Original 1974 LP pressed at a time when we were having an "energy crisis" so the petroleum products in the vinyl were skimped on. I went thru several copies that year.....kept returning them hoping for a better copy. No such luck. They were all noisy.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2007, 07:31

Well, it turns out what I thought was the '74 cassette......was never offered in '74. In 1990 a cassette was issued but it has to be a post 1976 boxed mix. I do have another plan in progress tho.....to digitalize a UK vinyl print of superior quality to the USA albums.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2007, 05:02

Jim - I'm fairyly certain (yes I'm aware of the typo - I spotted it, thought it quite quirky and appropriate for the festive season, and decided to leave it as is...) that you can get hold of the original mix on cassette tape - I think my brother has a copy. I should keep looking if I were you... :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2007, 17:40

I've an original 1974 LP copy of Hergest Ridge, or so I believe, I've never been able to play it as I'm lacking a turntable at present  :/  :O  .

I've also been given a CD burn of the original mix, as it's no longer commercially available to buy.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 18:15

I have just got my hands on an original Hergest Ridge LP from 1974, the disc would appear to be in mint condition. I also have a USB turntable, oh yes...

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 01:09

Is it a Porky cut? You ought to put your LP in a plastic sleeve and save it like the holy grail. There is a download link on the Porky cut thread from Rapidshare. This way you will not have to wear it down. MY FAV. ALBUM OF ALL TIME.........well, top 5....
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 21:53

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Dec. 15 2007, 17:40)
I've an original 1974 LP copy of Hergest Ridge, or so I believe, I've never been able to play it as I'm lacking a turntable at present  :/  :O  .

I've also been given a CD burn of the original mix, as it's no longer commercially available to buy.

Same with me. I last played my '74 original LP about ten years ago, not had a turntable since then so have become accustomed to the CD version. When I first heard it on CD I was shocked as it sounded totally inferior, but ten years on the CD version has become the definitive one for me. Very strange...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 19 2008, 05:08

Yes that is strange. Do yourself a favor and download the 100% organic HR(I hope it's still there on Rapidshare). Then throw the boxed version as far as you can send it.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
warlock Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 08:53

Now would it be against the forum statute if I posted here link to Original Hergest Ridge mix? I believe it's more dynamic than the Original Mix that was spread via p2p as it hasn't been digitally clarified so it has all those natural vinyl cracks (which is the good thing, it has the dynamic and all the details preserved).

/For anyone interested in this version e-mail me at warlock000@wp.pl ;)

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 11:59

warlock
I am not sure, but it might be. Better leave here youre e-mail or something so ppl can ask you personally for the link.

Myself I don't need it as I got nearly new Japanese pressing of HR. And it is the original mix! :D  I like part one more than on CD, but part two ... I still have to make up my mind about that. I don't know how are Japanese doing this but it cracks very rarely!

Name warlock, from Poland. Czesc btw. I'm from Czech Republic ;)  
By any coincidence... do you also play World of Warcraft? And your nick is/was Lizard?  :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 12:22

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 19 2008, 05:08)
Yes that is strange. Do yourself a favor and download the 100% organic HR(I hope it's still there on Rapidshare). Then throw the boxed version as far as you can send it.

Preferrably to Brazil, more specifically through the window of my house and onto my bed, so I can wrap it on pretty colourful paper and give it as a gift to my most beloved woman-shaped treasure (not Björk).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
warlock Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 13:44

Name warlock, from Poland. Czesc btw. I'm from Czech Republic ;)  
By any coincidence... do you also play World of Warcraft? And your nick is/was Lizard?  :D

Hail - and nope, never played WoW ;).

Myself I don't need it as I got nearly new Japanese pressing of HR. And it is the original mix! :D  I like part one more than on CD, but part two ... I still have to make up my mind about that. I don't know how are Japanese doing this but it cracks very rarely!

Well The Thousand Guitars part is way better in BOXED mix, in fact there are moments from part one that i like more (as far as i remember Original Mix has one great guitar solo "missing" or covered by other instruments). Nevertheless, BOXED mix sounds like someone pulled the stereo plug so there's really not much to compare :D

Myself I don't need it as I got nearly new Japanese pressing of HR. And it is the original mix!

I don't know if i got you right - Japanese edition of the CD is the Original Mix?

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 08:06

Here you go, it's still there!! Cool.
http://rapidshare.com/files....mix.mp3 |

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
warlock Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 08:57

I'll check it out, but i doubt it's better than the one i have ;) I hope it's not the one i once had - with the "click" at ~18:45.

/'mine' is very dirty (hiss/clicks) but MUCH more "spacious" with more air between the instruments. Just like I said, it's a raw copy from vinyl without any digital interference. Personally i find it better - the clarified one from rapidshare sounds a bit like the new mix - it lacks space and seems "covered by a blanket" (it's easy noticable at the beginning of Part Two).
part one
part two

You won't like it if hiss and cracks distract you ;)

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 12:48

Quote (warlock @ Sep. 04 2008, 13:44)
I don't know if i got you right - Japanese edition of the CD is the Original Mix?

Not at all. It's LP I am talking about.  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 17:59

@ Warlock: first of all welcome to the board. ;)
Secondly: please PM me, I'd like to hear your HR mix. Is it similar to the one on Arrian's site (the one you linked above) or is it better than that? In case the answer is the latter, you should definitely PM me. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
warlock Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 18:15

This is the same one. Well i know someone might've expected something even better after what I said but i honestly consider this version to be the best ever released in digital version. It has many flaws, yes, but those instruments really seem to smoothly fade somewhere in the distance, they ain't just got "both bass/treble edges cut" ;). Speaking of which (bass :D), it's deeper and smoother.

Imo having hiss and cracks s way more acceptable than getting rid off them at the cost of limited frequencies ;)

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 19:47

I never used any EQ on that one, just moderate de-click and mild noise reduction. It was very nice UK Porky Cut I bought from a dealer around Christmas.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
warlock Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2008, 19:49

Yet you can't eliminate noise without cutting some vital sound information ;)

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
48 replies since Nov. 14 2006, 06:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net